Ford says goodbye to the Taurus

Houston1stWordOnTheMoon

Back in 1995 i rented a Ford Taurus SHO for a week and man, that car was a canon on wheels!!!!!! Loved it!

Ford set to produce last Taurus

DEARBORN, Mich. - Sometime next week, the assembly line at a Ford plant near Atlanta will come to a halt, signaling the end of a family sedan so revolutionary that its 1985 debut changed forever the way cars look, feel and drive.

Say goodbye to the Taurus.

After 21 years and sales of nearly 7 million cars, Ford Motor Co. is giving up on what some call the most influential automobile since Henry Ford's Model T. The Taurus is credited with moving America away from boxy V-8 powered gas-guzzling bedrooms-on-wheels to aerodynamic, more efficient cars with crisper handling.

To many, the Taurus' death was slow and painful as Ford in recent years abandoned the car that saved the company, focusing instead on high-profit trucks and sport utility vehicles.

"When that thing came out, it was a big deal," said Robert Thompson, professor of popular culture at Syracuse University. "It so much became kind of the template of what a modern car was going to look like."

The Taurus, so futuristic that critics called it a "jellybean" or a "flying potato," made its debut late in 1985, with 1979 gasoline shortages still fresh in consumers' minds. The U.S. economy was just pulling out of a downturn when the scalloped Taurus, initially equipped with V-6 and four-cylinder engines, hit showrooms. It was an immediate hit, with buyers snapping up more than 263,000 in 1986, its first full year on the market.

It became the best-selling car in America in 1992 with sales of nearly 410,000, unseating the Honda Accord just as Japanese imports were starting to take hold in the U.S., and it held the top spot for five straight years until it was supplanted by the Toyota Camry in 1997. Even near death in September, it remained Ford's top-selling car........................

Story here.......

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061019/ap_on_...the_last_taurus

Seriously, i like the looks of the Armada, but don't you guys already have an SUV?

The wife swore she wanted a car, so I traded in my Expedition, it was decked out, DUBS and all. I didn't want to do it. But, if mama ain't happy............you know how it goes. So, I got her this because that is what she wanted, and it is one of THE safest cars on the road. Now, she has decided that 2 kids and my big ARSE in a Taurus just don't work. So, I work for a specific car company and it wouldn't look very good if I pulled up to work in something else. That doesn't put alot of confidence in my clients either when they ask me what I drive. I am lucky though, and I say " '72 oldsmobile". I get the weirdest looks, and then the client will say, " OH! Is that yours I saw when we came in ?" "Yes it is , ma'am, yes it is." :lol: Then they can't question WHY I don't drive such and such.

Edited by TJones

The wife swore she wanted a car, so I traded in my Expedition, it was decked out, DUBS and all. I didn't want to do it. But, if mama ain't happy............you know how it goes. So, I got her this because that is what she wanted, and it is one of THE safest cars on the road. Now, she has decided that 2 kids and my big ARSE in a Taurus just don't work. So, I work for a specific car company and it wouldn't look very good if I pulled up to work in something else. That doesn't put alot of confidence in my clients either when they ask me what I drive. I am lucky though, and I say " '72 oldsmobile". I get the weirdest looks, and then the client will say, " OH! Is that yours I saw when we came in ?" "Yes it is , ma'am, yes it is." :lol: Then they can't question WHY I don't drive such and such.

I liked the Expedition too, but i didnt get it because nearly every house on my street either has an Expedition or Excursion, NO KIDDING!!!! So i spent a little extra money and got the gas guzzling Navigator. Im having the same "wife" problems with that one too ;) She thinks its too big, so she only drives it for the monthly trip to Sams Club since that match box she drives is only large enough for 1 small bag of groceries :lol::lol::lol:

HA ! Wouldn't you know it. I think my Taurus knew about my plans to trade her. The battery went kaput on my wife at the grocery store today. I have to go install a new one tomorrow. *GRUMBLE, GRUMBLE !*

TJ, you treat her like a lady and she will shine!!!!! Start talk of trading her and you are DONE!!!!!!!! :lol::lol::lol: