Search errors and other things

editor

Those of you who tried to visit HAIF this morning noticed the "Closed for maintenance" sign on the front door.

Things should be OK now.

It looks like the HAIF posts database developed a small corruption on the 16th. As more people added more messages it got worse. This is possibly also the root of the problems with the search function that some people have reported.

When I tried to fix the problem on the 17th, it only got worse because I didn't shut the board down first. So people were trying to post messages while the computer was trying to fix itself.

The technical support people who maintain the server for us managed to fix the database. In the process, though, some posts were lost. I'm not sure how many, but it doesn't appear to be a lot.

Please PM me if you continue to encounter errors. If any more crop up, I'll roll the board back to our last good backup, which was on the 15th, and everything should be good. But, of course, we'll lose everything posted since then. But at least this underscores the value of making regular backups. We have three backup methods for HAIF -- nightly, weekly, monthly -- that are all stored in different places. I may implement an every 6 or 12 hours backup, too, for when things like this happen again.

Again -- right now the most important thing is for people to give HAIF a workout, and let me know about any problems. If we have to roll back, I'd rather do it sooner than later.

All of my wonderful insights could be missing, the horror! :o

:closedeyes: yes, the horror...

Editor - I noticed a few slip ups yesterday, I typed in a post, but when I clicked the button, an error message showed up. Perhaps thats just the usual 'error' that was expected with the problem?

Archived