Trouble With KISD

kathysue

As an educator, I firmly believe in good attendance in school, especially since the school does not receive state and federal monies when your child is absent.

I am wondering if anyone else has had problems with your chid's absences being marked "unexcused" when they should not have. The notes I turned in for my son "mysteriously" disappeared, and the attendance clerk gave my son unexcused absences when they should not have been. As a result, after 5 unexcused absences, the attendance officer wrote my son a ticket for excessive absences. I had to take 2 days off of work and pay an attorney in order to fix the problem. The district's police department backed up the attendance clerk at my son's school and the attendance officer. It is my understanding that others have had similar problems. If you have, please contact me. Thanks

As an educator, I firmly believe in good attendance in school, especially since the school does not receive state and federal monies when your child is absent.

I am wondering if anyone else has had problems with your chid's absences being marked "unexcused" when they should not have. The notes I turned in for my son "mysteriously" disappeared, and the attendance clerk gave my son unexcused absences when they should not have been. As a result, after 5 unexcused absences, the attendance officer wrote my son a ticket for excessive absences. I had to take 2 days off of work and pay an attorney in order to fix the problem. The district's police department backed up the attendance clerk at my son's school and the attendance officer. It is my understanding that others have had similar problems. If you have, please contact me. Thanks

Is this really an "issue" that has to start off with "Trouble with KISD"? Are you trying to give the school district a negative image? Why not just call it "The Problem with American Schools".

Not a joking issue.

Agreed, but I think attendance is not the reason KISD does not have an appealing image today.

And, not that you asked for my opinion, suicide is cowardly. I hope he does not die so that way his parents can give him a beat down for puting them through this.

Katy I.S.D. still has a appealing image today (largest Texas school district to be Recongnized).

It is only because everything is still fairly fresh and new.

Big houses with affluent people in new neigborhoods helping with school taxes.

Eventually the land will run out and taxable homes with be stagnant instead of the current exponential growth rate they are doing now.

It is only because everything is still fairly fresh and new.

Big houses with affluent people in new neigborhoods helping with school taxes.

Eventually the land will run out and taxable homes with be stagnant instead of the current exponential growth rate they are doing now.

As far as land running out, that is true everywhere and is already a reality for those living in the city of Houston. Just because new construction will eventually cease, it does not mean that the tax revenues from the existing homes/retail will decrease. Future tax revenues may not grow by leaps and bounds, but they will certainly be higher than those from the partially built-out Katy of today. It seems to me that if KISD is successful with the funding it has now, it should be fine in the future. While I plan to send my children to private schools, I can definitely say that I would take KISD over Houston schools in a heartbeat.

Katy I.S.D. has so much land left its not even funny. Once Cy-Fair's growth continues to head west to the future Grand Parkway, Katy I.S.D.'s growth will pick up. Cy-Fair will cease, and Katy I.S.D. will pick up again. This is all just north of I-10. South of I-10 around Seven Lakes High School, there is plenty of land left (around my neighborhood Firethorne, too).

Link

As far as land running out, that is true everywhere and is already a reality for those living in the city of Houston. Just because new construction will eventually cease, it does not mean that the tax revenues from the existing homes/retail will decrease. Future tax revenues may not grow by leaps and bounds, but they will certainly be higher than those from the partially built-out Katy of today. It seems to me that if KISD is successful with the funding it has now, it should be fine in the future. While I plan to send my children to private schools, I can definitely say that I would take KISD over Houston schools in a heartbeat.

But Houston ISD schools differ widely - Some can be pretty bad, while others are considered to be very good. Many HISD families "cherry pick" the schools they desire.

But Houston ISD schools differ widely - Some can be pretty bad, while others are considered to be very good. Many HISD families "cherry pick" the schools they desire.

That is because most neighborhoods that support HISD schools are established and only have the incremental property tax increases, whereas KISD in getting both new revenue from new homes and incremental property tax increases

What will happen in both Katy ISD and CFISD is that new central business districts will open, attracting more corporate HQ's attracted by the good schools and wide array of good housing choices, further enriching the tax base. There are two new such developments (Towne Lake and Bridgeland) going in at CFISD, I'm sure the same holds true in KISD with so much growth in the Energy corridor.

That is because most neighborhoods that support HISD schools are established and only have the incremental property tax increases, whereas KISD in getting both new revenue from new homes and incremental property tax increases

Yeah - most HISD neighborhoods are already developed. There are some areas in southern Houston that received new construction (e.g. City Park, Panay Park, Corinthian Pointe), but the said subdivisions are targeted for lower-income folks. I know some areas in far west Houston around Westside High School are newly-developed, but I think that area is 100% built-out now.

• The title was changed to Trouble With KISD

Archived