Historic Heights Antiques At 241 W. 19th St.

Moose

The latest issue of "The Heights Pages" has a blurb about Historic Heights Antiques. I'd noticed it was closed, but this piece makes it sound like they were pushed out. The business owner states:

"Ernest Klein was the nicest of landlords, who helpeed every step of the way. I was greatly saddened at his passing 5 years ago. After Ernest Klein's passing, the management of the property was passed to the Lewis Property Company. They have slowly closed the doors of all the old tenants except Mr. Ramirez of Casa Ramirez. I don't know what he has planned for the property but I don't think it will be an antique shop."(emphasis added)

This suggests the property manager is working to bring in another type of tenant or do something else with the property entirely. I'm generally neutral on another antique shop, but they do seem to draw non-Heights residents to the area.

Any thoughts or ideas about what this could mean for that stretch of 19th street?

This suggests the property manager is working to bring in another type of tenant or do something else with the property entirely. I'm generally neutral on another antique shop, but they do seem to draw non-Heights residents to the area.

Any thoughts or ideas about what this could mean for that stretch of 19th street?

a starbucks? :huh:

plus an urban oufitters and jamba juice?

The latest issue of "The Heights Pages" has a blurb about Historic Heights Antiques. I'd noticed it was closed, but this piece makes it sound like they were pushed out. The business owner states:

"Ernest Klein was the nicest of landlords, who helpeed every step of the way. I was greatly saddened at his passing 5 years ago. After Ernest Klein's passing, the management of the property was passed to the Lewis Property Company. They have slowly closed the doors of all the old tenants except Mr. Ramirez of Casa Ramirez. I don't know what he has planned for the property but I don't think it will be an antique shop."(emphasis added)

Well, the strip has become a little more gallery-ish. Maybe that's what he is hoping for. I could see a gallery or clothing shop- like what's west of there.

Personally, I won't miss a few less (overpriced) antique stores on 19th if they are replaced by art galleries, clothing boutiques, and the like. A nice coffee shop would be welcome, too (ie Deidric's, not Starbucks). Hopefully the chain stores stay away.

well, your sarcasm is probably most people's true wishes :mellow:

and i'd rather have overpriced antique shops than overpriced clothing boutiques :blush:

I think most people just want the street developed and to see it become more of a destination. I definitely am anti-Starbucks (as previous conversations on this board have demonstrated) BUT I'd like to see a couple more mainstream shops that will help anchor the other businesses on the strip. Too bad American Apparel went to Westheimer.

I hate to say it, but Heights Antiques was not so much an actual antique shop as it was a junk shop with some antiques and over priced either way.

• The title was changed to Historic Heights Antiques & 19th St.
  • The title was changed to Historic Heights Antiques At 241 W. 19th St.

Archived