We may not have zoning, but we do have this

GoAtomic

Attention Preservationists ....

I just found this on the City of Houston website. From a quick read, looks to me like it allows a subdivision INSIDE the loop to prevent lot splitting for mass redevelopment, by nomination of just ONE property owner (evidence of support from other owners must be shown too.)

The text starts by saying " Building set backs and lot sizes are often defining features of a neighborhood, giving blocks a certain look and feel. Neighborhoods inside the 610 Loop that want to preserve this aspect of their character may want to explore using the Prevailing Lot Size or Prevailing Building Line application. In order to qualify, your neighborhood must not have deed restrictions that address lot size or building lines for all properties within the subdivision. "

For more, see http://www.houstontx.gov/planning/Developm...vailLotBldg.htm.

Attention Preservationists ....

I just found this on the City of Houston website. From a quick read, looks to me like it allows a subdivision INSIDE the loop to prevent lot splitting for mass redevelopment, by nomination of just ONE property owner (evidence of support from other owners must be shown too.)

For more, see http://www.houstontx.gov/planning/Developm...vailLotBldg.htm.

this is already being used now. I know Eastwood just had signs posted which stated petitions were submitted to establish. One property owner doesn't make this applicable for the entire neighborhood. It takes more work than that.

from the website....Any property owner in the proposed area may file a written protest within 15 days of the notice of the letter. If the application meets all the rules and there is no written protest or the supporting petition is signed by 51% or more of the owners of the lots or tracts, the Planning Department director shall approve administratively and forward to City Council for final approval.

The Planning director must refer the application to the Planning Commission for consideration if the application fails to meet criteria, less than 51% of the lot/tract owners signed the petition or a timely protest was filed.

looks like 51% is the magic number.

this is already being used now. I know Eastwood just had signs posted which stated petitions were submitted to establish. One property owner doesn't make this applicable for the entire neighborhood. It takes more work than that.

from the website....Any property owner in the proposed area may file a written protest within 15 days of the notice of the letter. If the application meets all the rules and there is no written protest or the supporting petition is signed by 51% or more of the owners of the lots or tracts, the Planning Department director shall approve administratively and forward to City Council for final approval.

The Planning director must refer the application to the Planning Commission for consideration if the application fails to meet criteria, less than 51% of the lot/tract owners signed the petition or a timely protest was filed.

looks like 51% is the magic number.

Got that ... I was just amazed that it only took one person to get the ball rolling. Didn't mean to make it out as shooting fish in a barrel ...

My only questions are 1) whether it can be applied OUTSIDE the loop and 2) what is a 'blockface', i.e. "The proposed area includes all properties within at least one blockface."

Got that ... I was just amazed that it only took one person to get the ball rolling. Didn't mean to make it out as shooting fish in a barrel ...

My only questions are 1) whether it can be applied OUTSIDE the loop and 2) what is a 'blockface', i.e. "The proposed area includes all properties within at least one blockface."

It is applicable in City of Houston. By blockface, they mean block. The signs i've seen posted are always posted at the corner of each block each with the designated block numbers. Remember this only restricts lots sizes, doesn't prevent anything from demolition nor does it designate what can be built i.e. something modern in a group of bungalows.

Remember this only restricts lots sizes, doesn't prevent anything from demolition nor does it designate what can be built i.e. something modern in a group of bungalows.

True, but it prevents the dumbest thing I've ever seen in Houston - a large corner lot smack in the middle of a nice 50's subdivision, formerly occupied by a large, sprawling ranch house but now filled with 3 separate multi-story townhomes. Ugh. Talk about not fitting into the neighborhood ...

I think it can only be used inside loop 610 which the city deems 'Urban' as opposed to outside loop 610 which they consider 'suburban'. Apparently the city did not anticipate the desire for this ordinace so they only have ONE person working in this section of the planning department. What is supposed to take about two weeks takes about a year! I guess the good part of that is that a lot of blocks will be protected. I live in Norhill and we have about 90 of the neighborhood protected.

Any deed restrictions that do not specifially mention a minimum lot size or setback are at risk so get your blocks protected!

Dennis

• The title was changed to We may not have zoning, but we do have this

Archived