METRO's fares rising

musicman

Yes this is correct. you can go for three hrs in any direction as long as it isn't back home on the same numbered bus.

How is METRO profitable? If that was the case there would be no need for sales tax revenue. Like i said earlier today, The average one way trip costs 7, with the rider paying 1 and METRO and other fund sources chipping in 6. This is about 2 yr old data. I don't believe ANY transit agency is making money

According to the annual reports on the Metro web site, Metro turned a small profit in FY2005 but lost money in the long term from the end of FY2002. Fare revenues make up something like $50M and the rest of the $400M+ in operating costs is made up through sales tax, grants, and other "non-operating" revenue.

1stword-

I can understand your concern and do sympathize, but I think you are quite wrong with regard to Metro's financials. Similar issues always arose when we had a fare increase in NYC. The people who can least afford the increases are affected the most. This doesn't change the fact that there is a substantial cost to running public transit.

According to the annual reports on the Metro web site, Metro turned a small profit in FY2005 but lost money in the long term from the end of FY2002. Fare revenues make up something like $50M and the rest of the $400M+ in operating costs is made up through sales tax, grants, and other "non-operating" revenue.

so that's a no?

Edited by musicman

1stword-

I can understand your concern and do sympathize, but I think you are quite wrong with regard to Metro's financials. Similar issues always arose when we had a fare increase in NYC. The people who can least afford the increases are affected the most. This doesn't change the fact that there is a substantial cost to running public transit.

Then lets eliminate the % tax altogether and let METRO prey on its riders. I dont use it and i dont think its fair to tax me for it, especially since they are so damn cavalier in fare hikes without reguard to the poor. Get rid of the sales tax for METRO. This isnt NYC on many levels. If the cost of functioning for public transportation is to increase here to match other areas, raise the wages. Interesting the small profit the noted was close to present day---the age of high fuel cost and the lost was from 4 years ago, and still support raising the fares. The BS gets deeper................

Then lets eliminate the % tax altogether and let METRO prey on its riders. I dont use it and i dont think its fair to tax me for it, especially since they are so damn cavalier in fare hikes without reguard to the poor. Get rid of the sales tax for METRO. This isnt NYC on many levels. If the cost of functioning for public transportation is to increase here to match other areas, raise the wages. Interesting the small profit the noted was close to present day---the age of high fuel cost and the lost was from 4 years ago, and still support raising the fares. The BS gets deeper................

Then Redscare and a few others here should stop paying school taxes becaue they don't have kids!

Perhaps I should stop paying taxes for Civil aviation because I don't fly.

Oh! Wait! Maybe if I just buy bottled water, I could cut my water utility substantially!

Get a grip, dude. It's call Infrastructure. We delicate flower about the taxes we pay, but if something doesn't get fixed, we whine about it.

yeah, pretty much. kinda like when a corporation turns a small profit after years of incurring losses. I wouldn't be in a hurry to buy stock... :P

believe me i'm NOT. I was riding a bus on Thursday and the driver hit a parked car and just drove off. one passenger went up to the driver and she just played dumb. but finally after continued harassment by a persistent rider, she said she would report the incident. I personally didn't believe her so i reported it myself. It seems a couple of Councilmembers were interested as they stated they will pass on the info to METRO.

• 6 months later...
When Shirley DeLibero first became president of METRO and realized what METRO's local fares were (compared to New Jersey Transit and WMATA), the first thing she wanted to do was raise the local fare, but the board at the time thought it to be a really bad move at a time when they were trying to gain support for the building of rail (that and some other reasons, including the fact that at the time METRO had a several million dollar surplus in reserve).

As far as large metropolitan areas go, the local fare for bus and rail in Houston is pretty cheap--probably too cheap, quite franky. I still don't think this is going to go over well with the bulk of riders who use day passes in particular.

I heard that Houston's METRO runs 24/7. If that's true and I moved to Houston, I'd get rid of my car and just ride it.

I heard that Houston's METRO runs 24/7. If that's true and I moved to Houston, I'd get rid of my car and just ride it.

Surely you are MAD > :) > :) > :)

Dont get rid of your freedom to rely solely on public transport. Its ok to have both ;)

The little old lady i was speaking of in this thread no longer has to rely on METRO, i have personally seen to that. :D:D

Depends on where you live, closer to town, I'd say there is a good possibility. Out in the Burbs, stick with a car. :mellow: