Your Chance To Improve Your Neighborhood?

Howard

I am from Florida and have been living in Spring renting for a year. I have chose the Heights area as my new home. I think that its an up and coming location with plenty of room to grow. I have been looking at Washington Ave. as a place to open a business. I have a few things in mind then I thought why not ask people on the board. This may be a year in the making but what type of business would you frequent if it was in your neighborhood?

Edited by Howard

What is great about Houston is that any good business has a decent chance of survival. In the Washington area, I think it is amazing how many coffee/wine places that have opened in the last yr or two. Each has its own niche to fill. One thing that attracts me to certain places is the music. While not on Washington, the onwer of the boom boom room did a great job IMO in her choice of music. Now all she needs is as ventahood for her panini machine.

Edited by musicman

I'd like to see on Washington an equivalent of the Brown Bag Deli on Westheimer...somewhere that I can drop by on the way home and quickly get a great sandwich for $4.50. I'd frequent such an establishment probably 3 times a week.

I tried to get the owner of McCain's Market to provide such a sandwich, but he seems to insist on charging nearly double what I'd be willing to pay ($8.50!)

I'd like to see on Washington an equivalent of the Brown Bag Deli on Westheimer...somewhere that I can drop by on the way home and quickly get a great sandwich for $4.50. I'd frequent such an establishment probably 3 times a week.

I tried to get the owner of McCain's Market to provide such a sandwich, but he seems to insist on charging nearly double what I'd be willing to pay ($8.50!)

McCain's is definitely pricey. I'd love to have something like an EatZis this part of town. Probably will never happen, but with our lack of decent grocery stores in the area, something like that is much needed!

I thought maybe a nice ice cream parlor with smoothies, gelato, waffle cones etc . . .

This one I like... I can incorporate it into my idea that I currently have. A grocery store while it is very much needed is out of my buget. I think Super Target will help fill that void. A good sandwich shop will work but it wouldnt be a full blown resturant like these other examples. Some Deli type sandwich shop deals work some dont. Kinda hard to gauge and sound like you would want a specialty sandwich shop. Any other requests? I thought there would be tons of things people would want as this forum is always talking about whats here, whats coming, and whats needed. Thanks...

Are you only thinking food-related businesses?

A deli would be good, but there is also a deli at the corner of 11th and Studewood.

Other places I would frequent:

Sushi or mediterranean restaurant

record store

sporting goods store

"trendy" men's clothing store

I was just out with a group of Heights area expectant moms last week and we were all lamenting there was no where to get an ice cream after dinner. There is also not a bagel shop (a la Hot Bagel or even Einsteins) in the area. My husband and I would frequent either of these establishments regularly.

Also, you could look at more of the Studewood or 11th street areas. That would make it much easier for me. ;-)

Are you only thinking food-related businesses?

A deli would be good, but there is also a deli at the corner of 11th and Studewood. do you mean DaCapos? While I love them, their hours of operation are not very customer friendly. They don't open until 10 am on the weekends and are not open for after work. I think they close as early as 5.

Other places I would frequent:

Sushi or mediterranean restaurant Azuma is opening a location in the art deco building getting renoed at Shepherd and Washington (it was an old Hi/Lo Auto parts, I believe)

record store

sporting goods store

"trendy" men's clothing store

Good point on DaCapos, that place is never open.

Good news on Azuma!

Isn't there a place on 19th to get ice cream? My mom was visiting a few months back and came back to my house with Gelato after some antique shopping. I'm not sure where she got it from, though...

Isn't there a place on 19th to get ice cream? My mom was visiting a few months back and came back to my house with Gelato after some antique shopping. I'm not sure where she got it from, though...

Cricket's - but they close early too.

Cricket's - but they close early too.

I know and it kills me. I mean, I know groups of friends and families in the neighborhood that would love to sit at their little tables after dinner and relax. Maybe we should start a letter writing campaign for Crickets to stay open- even if it's just Fri-Sat!!

I too am in favor of a specialty ice cream shop in the neighborhood. Have you ever been to the Chocolate Bar? That place is amazing. It's open late and its always packed on the weekend nights.

Actually its a place to go have some fun and activities. Kind of like a sports store but not really and its a good way to see Houston and get some excercise. Trying to keep it under my hat a bit. Even though it seems all most people want is another place to eat??? Just pretty easy to add Ice Cream and a Sandwich shop. But if all everyone wants is Ice cream, Sandwiches, Bagles, and Gelato I guess I could do that. It depends on the demand. I want to be a great addition to a growing area that I find interesting. Making some money living there and not commuting to work for someone else would be a joy.

Actually its a place to go have some fun and activities. Kind of like a sports store but not really and its a good way to see Houston and get some excercise. Trying to keep it under my hat a bit. Even though it seems all most people want is another place to eat??? Just pretty easy to add Ice Cream and a Sandwich shop. But if all everyone wants is Ice cream, Sandwiches, Bagles, and Gelato I guess I could do that. It depends on the demand. I want to be a great addition to a growing area that I find interesting. Making some money living there and not commuting to work for someone else would be a joy.

There are more and more young families in the Heights all the time. I think they would welcome somewhere that had activities for kids and where the parents could socialize. Keep us updated!

Well, we are the fattest city in the country (so they say).

Believe me I know the reputation coming from Miami / Ft. Lauderdale area where it is difficult to find out of shape people. This store may reduce those numbers a bit. I have found the oasis in Houston though. Memorial Park... There are some better bodies there as well as those working on better bodies. Great place and Houston needs more.

I think Super Target will help fill that void.
Unfortunately - it's not a SuperTarget. Just a regular Target with groceries. :( We really do need a grocery store on Washington - but I understand that's not what you're looking to do here! :)
Have you ever been to the Chocolate Bar? That place is amazing. It's open late and its always packed on the weekend nights.

Let me second that idea - I have friends that drive up from Clear Lake just to go there - it's such a "destination" - it's not just the ice cream, it's the ambiance, and the fun chocolate-related stuff to look at.

And since you're not doing a grocery store, other places I would like to see (I live off of Washington):

- an upscale nail place/spa (there's blu, but it doesn't look inviting). I'm thinking like Isle Pedispa near the Village.

- a bakery (/bagel shop?) - like Magnolia Bakery in NYC - famous for their cupcakes - cupcake places are big right now.

- a more "fast food" pizza place - Candelari's & Star Pizza are more "sit down" - somewhere like NY Pizzeria

- any place with a nice, outdoor-sy patio (like Baba Yega or Hobbit Cafe)

Ummm... I know there's more...

And since you're not doing a grocery store, other places I would like to see (I live off of Washington):

- an upscale nail place/spa (there's blu, but it doesn't look inviting)

What would make it look inviting? The Washington Strip is old, not like suburbia where everything is relatively new. The Strip has character.

any place with a nice, outdoor-sy patio (like Baba Yega or Hobbit Cafe)

Remember the Washington Strip is fairly industrial and therefore there aren't many trees/vegetation. I believe several of the places, like the Corkscrew have outside tables.

Remember the Washington Strip is fairly industrial and therefore there aren't many trees/vegetation. I believe several of the places, like the Corkscrew have outside tables.

Corkscrew does has ouitdooor seating, if you like sitting in their parking lot. Not much ambiance there, just reiterating (sp?) your point about the industrial side of Washington.

Unfortunately - it's not a SuperTarget. Just a regular Target with groceries. :( We really do need a grocery store on Washington - but I understand that's not what you're looking to do here! :)

Let me second that idea - I have friends that drive up from Clear Lake just to go there - it's such a "destination" - it's not just the ice cream, it's the ambiance, and the fun chocolate-related stuff to look at.

- an upscale nail place/spa (there's blu, but it doesn't look inviting). I'm thinking like Isle Pedispa near the Village.

- a bakery (/bagel shop?) - like Magnolia Bakery in NYC - famous for their cupcakes - cupcake places are big right now.

- a more "fast food" pizza place - Candelari's & Star Pizza are more "sit down" - somewhere like NY Pizzeria

- any place with a nice, outdoor-sy patio (like Baba Yega or Hobbit Cafe)

A grocery store would cost a LOT of money. Thanks for the great options. This is what I am looking for. I can possibly add an outdoor patio section there. Ambiance will take some tweeking but is possible. Thanks also for the comparisons of other businesses. I can check online to see what they offer and try to incorporate it. I have never been to Chocolate Bar but will check it out when I am back in town in December.

Any ideas in the service industry? I noticed that you want a upscale nail salon. Noting the word upscale as I see a million nail salons in Houston. Anyone want something thats not food related?

And as you said I am sure there is more so keep them coming!

Corkscrew does has ouitdooor seating, if you like sitting in their parking lot. Not much ambiance there, just reiterating (sp?) your point about the industrial side of Washington.

I ate outside at the Istanbul Grill in Rice Village last night, and it was really quite amazing how well some large potted plants/shrubs there shield the outdoor seating from the parking lot and the road. After a few Efes beers I nearly thought I was back in Turkey! Perhaps Corkscrew and a few other places on Washington should take note.

• 2 weeks later...
I ate outside at the Istanbul Grill in Rice Village last night, and it was really quite amazing how well some large potted plants/shrubs there shield the outdoor seating from the parking lot and the road. After a few Efes beers I nearly thought I was back in Turkey! Perhaps Corkscrew and a few other places on Washington should take note.

Honestly, I don't mind sitting on the sidewalk. In major cities like Boston and NY (where real estate is at a serious prime) you always sit on the sidewalk. Sure, sometimes the little section is fenced off or there are trees/plants, but it's all part of living in the city. We're too spoiled by urban sprawl ;)

I've heard from more a few places that Azuma is opening somewhere around Shephard and Washington.

Azuma is slated to open in the cool art deco building between Durham and Shepherd at Washington- the old Hi/Lo Auto parts store. It looks like they actually started the renovation in earnest and I am excited to see the completed project!

• The title was changed to Your Chance To Improve Your Neighborhood?