Moving to Houston

texasguy06

Hello. Does anyone have an estimate of travel time (rush hour/commute) from Cypress (290) and/or from Katy to I-10 (energy corridor)? We're trying to decide between Cypress and Katy. Thanks! (If this is the wrong board, please let me know, I couldn't tell where to place this message.)

The above posts are correct, we really need more info. However, it is to be noted that the Katy Freeway (I-10 West) is currently undergoing expansion construction so there is hope. However, 290 expansion construction is further off, so there is little hope for those commuters.

290 will have a terrible commute for the forseeable future. The katy freeway on the other hand, should have a splendid commute once construction is complete, however it is a train wreck right now because it is too small, plus it is under construction. Could you take the Westpark tollway instead of 10?

I suggest you drive them both a couple times at rush hour and see how bad you hate it.

If you're coming from Cypress, I would probably go on Eldridge from 290 to I-10. I would estimate it would take around 30-35 minutes to do that with traffic, which is fairly heavy around rush hour. There are a lot of lights on Eldridge until you get past West Little York. I'm not sure where you would be travelling from in Cypress, so you would have to add that time. 290 has gotten very bad and is going to get worse. I think they are scheduled to start widening it around 2009 or 2010.

I-10 from Katy to Eldridge area is halfway decent since they've widened the freeway. It starts backing up before you get to Eldridge depending what time you're on the road, but hopefully that will be resolved in the next several months once they open the next wide section of the freeway. However, if there is a wreck, it's just horrible. I would estimate 20-25 minutes from Mason to Eldridge with a decent amount of traffic but no wrecks.

We just moved from the Copperfield area to Katy and the traffic on 290 was a big part of it. We figured the traffic on 290 would just get worse and I-10 is hopefully going to get better. We'll see how it plays out.

Whyd\ don't you just move to the energy corridor, along Eldrige between westheimer and I-10 has beautiful homes, great parks and shopping. Traffic from Katy and Cypress is horrible. My fathers drives from Cypress to the energy corridor and in traffic it takes over a hour, from Katy it is just as bad.

I have a client that lives in Cypress (Loutta/spring cypress) and commutes to Dairy Ashford and his leaving at 6:15 in the morning allows him to get to work at 6:45am.

leaving at 5pm back home is usually 45 minutes depending on which routes you get, but it's not unusual to go 1hour plus. You avoid the tollway on the way home.

Katy is a good area, but what has become my mantra, pick a place to Live with your lifestyle in mind, not just the commute.

I have a client that lives in Cypress (Loutta/spring cypress) and commutes to Dairy Ashford and his leaving at 6:15 in the morning allows him to get to work at 6:45am.

leaving at 5pm back home is usually 45 minutes depending on which routes you get, but it's not unusual to go 1hour plus. You avoid the tollway on the way home.

Katy is a good area, but what has become my mantra, pick a place to Live with your lifestyle in mind, not just the commute.

I've lived in Copperfield for 18 years and commuted to the University of Houston. I've watched the traffic go from bad to worse to nightmarish over those years. On any given morning, 290 is just a total loss for people going all the way in to the West Loop. It's why I go in early every day -- between five and six AM -- to get ahead of the crush, but other people have the same idea so traffic is already getting heavy even at six AM.

The worst thing about living in Copperfield and Cypress is the fact that the infrastructure hasn't been able to keep up with the residential development and population growth. It's nice out here, as long as you don't try to go somewhere in a hurry.

As for our newcomer thinking about Katy or Cypress, if he's working around I-10 and Eldridge, I would recommend he buy in Katy -- not Cypress. He'll have a much easier commute to work, and personally, I think the Katy schools are better than CyFair.

You like Trees? Choose Cypress.

You like Prairie? Choose Katy.

The commute is a bear, but they're working on it...(supposedly)

Cypress will have Commuter Rail, and a new toll road is planned for the old Hempstead Hwy. Its a few years away though. Katy Freeway is currently being widened.

As for the schools. It's a wash. CFISD is a larger school district than Katy ISD (both growing rapidly). Both have a good reputation. Some schools are better than others. I'd put up the schools in the Cy-Woods zone up against any in the Houston area.

We live in Cypress proper (Longwood) and if I need to go Downtown, I usually take 249 to the Beltway to I-45. We live about equidistant to 249 or 290, so there's an option.

Thanks for all the replies. It definitely is way more confusing and difficult than we thought. We like the look of Cypress better than Katy (love the trees). But not wild about sitting in traffic for an hour down to I-10. And no "relief" on the highways for another 3-4 years -- wow. I appreciate all of the insight greatly.

One other factor for us was tax rates, but Cypress and Katy look to be comparable, just varying neighborhood to neighborhood.

Where are you commuting to? The Energy Corridor? If so, that's not a bad commute at all.

If you're going from Cypress to the Energy Corridor, it's only about 20-25 minutes regardless of what time of day. There are more than 5 ways to get there (FM 1960/Hwy 6, Eldridge, Barker Cypress, Fry, Beltway).

You wouldn't even need to get on 290 to get to the Energy Corridor.

Just take one of the following: Eldridge, FM1960/Hwy 6, Barker-Cypress, Fry, or the Beltway. There are several other routes as well, but these would be the easiest.

20-25 minutes regardless what time of day. The 40 minutes to an hour that people were talking about was the commute time from Cypress into Downtown.

Cypress sure as hell does not have a lot of trees. That is only around the Champions Forest area. Other parts (like around Bridgelands), is all prairie. Katy has trees though, around WoodCreek Reserve, and some of the older areas around Nottingham, but northern Katy is all prairie, too.

But if you are working in the Energy Corridor, I don't know why you wouldn't choose Katy. It is much closer, and IH-10 is being expanded (completed to Highway 6 already). 290 is more congested than IH-10, it just doesn't get enough publicity for it.

If you like older established communities, try areas in Kelliwood and Green Trails. If you want a newer homes, areas west of the Grand Parkway have some good options. But, if you want more money for your buck, and want to stay in Katy I.S.D. (the largest Recognized School District in Texas), try staying north of IH-10, West of Fry Road, East of Katy Fort Bend, and South of Clay Road. These areas are zoned to Morton Ranch High School, which has some nice zones and new houses around it. Take a drive down Mason from Clay Road and take a look. Also some new ones around Cinemark 20.

I've had my drivers license since August. I do know what I am talking about. Cypress does not get wooded until north of 290. Don't deny it. Areas around Stone Gate and Bridgelands are farmland. There are some wooded spots though (like around Clay and Barker Cypress), but they are in spots. Much like the spots of wooded areas in Katy. There are bundles of trees next to farmland.

I've had my drivers license since August. I do know what I am talking about. Cypress does not get wooded until north of 290. Don't deny it. Areas around Stone Gate and Bridgelands are farmland. There are some wooded spots though (like around Clay and Barker Cypress), but they are in spots. Much like the spots of wooded areas in Katy. There are bundles of trees next to farmland.

You're getting the Cy-Fair area mixed up with 'Cypress'. They're actually somewhat different. Clay Rd is not 'Cypress', nor is 529 or the rest of the 'Cy-Fair' area that lies between Cypress & Katy.

For the most part, 'Cypress' is located North of 290 (where the trees are). There are parts of Cypress like Blackhorse, Cypress Creek Lakes, Bridgeland that lie just over on the South side of 290 (Prairie side), but the majority of 'Cypress' is bounded by 249, 290, and 1960, which is wooded. There's a mix of both, but unlike Katy its mostly wooded in Cypress proper.

Hello. Does anyone have an estimate of travel time (rush hour/commute) from Cypress (290) and/or from Katy to I-10 (energy corridor)? We're trying to decide between Cypress and Katy. Thanks! (If this is the wrong board, please let me know, I couldn't tell where to place this message.)

The last 15 years Katy has grown to be a nice family oriented place to live. The kind of place where you always run into people you know.

Many improvements recently in access. The widening of the Katy Freeway in the Katy area. The improvements on the Grand Parkway. The opening of the Westpark Tollway.

Shopping... Check out the La Centerra upscale retail center under construction across from Cinco Ranch High School. About 20 minutes from the Galleria via Westpark Tollway. New restaurants popping up everyday.

Homes... Many nice subdivisions to pick from. Check out the Seven Meadows/Grand Lakes/Cinco Ranch/Kelliwood areas.

Schools... One of the best larger school districts in the state....

Check out Katy.... Find out why it's grown so fast.

It's hard not to get things mixed up in Houston with things changing so quickly. When I was in HS 15 years ago, Cypress was pretty much just a couple neighborhoods, forest and farmland.
Well that's due to the city of Houston and there ability not to stop the annexation of other communities around them. Trust me its just a matter of time before they take Texas

The last 15 years Katy has grown to be a nice family oriented place to live. The kind of place where you always run into people you know.

Many improvements recently in access. The widening of the Katy Freeway in the Katy area. The improvements on the Grand Parkway. The opening of the Westpark Tollway.

Shopping... Check out the La Centerra upscale retail center under construction across from Cinco Ranch High School. About 20 minutes from the Galleria via Westpark Tollway. New restaurants popping up everyday.

Homes... Many nice subdivisions to pick from. Check out the Seven Meadows/Grand Lakes/Cinco Ranch/Kelliwood areas.

Schools... One of the best larger school districts in the state....

Check out Katy.... Find out why it's grown so fast.

I don't really consider the area of Cinco Ranch and south to be Katy. To me it's a new area not to be lumped in with the old Katy that people don't like (e.g., the traffic, the sprawl, the disorganized growth). Let's call it something else, in this forum and in general. How about:

Far West Houston

Deep West Houston

Houston West

Almost Fulshear Houston

This area would be encompassed by Cinco Ranch to the north, HWY 90 to the south, Grand Parkway to the east (including its neighborhoods), and just east of Richmond/Fulshear on the west.

Archived