Skateboard Park In Sharpstown

FreakyDude

Does anyone remember the skateboard park off of Richmond and Fondren? I think it was built during the late 70's and eventually closed down. What a park! We had a blast using the old fashioned skateboards there (unlike the long ones they make now). That was the first time I ever used pads and helmet.

• Like 1

Does anyone remember the skateboard park off of Richmond and Fondren? I think it was built during the late 70's and eventually closed down. What a park! We had a blast using the old fashioned skateboards there (unlike the long ones they make now). That was the first time I ever used pads and helmet.

Was it behind another business or restaurant? I think that's the one I used to go to.

I had a cheddar cheese Makaha (old style). I had put a 7-11 foot sticker right where my foot belonged. I was pretty good back in the day, 360's, the walk, catamaran, up and down curved walls, etc. We thought we were the best at this stuff. Of, course the younger generation showed us a new way to skate that I would have never even attempted back then. Funny.

Does anyone remember the skateboard park off of Richmond and Fondren?

Yes, I definitely remember it. I never went to it when it was a functioning business, and it seems like it wasn't in business very long and was abandoned for a much longer time. I visited the abondoned facility at least once, probably in the 1983-1985 time period but possibly earlier. The "bowls" were of course filled with dirty water, debris, and shopping carts.

I visited the abondoned facility at least once, probably in the 1983-1985 time period but possibly earlier. The "bowls" were of course filled with dirty water, debris, and shopping carts.

Wow, I must have been gone by then.

We called it surfing the curves back then. When they closed down, rumor has it that it was open for "surfing." True?

• 2 weeks later...

This is interesting because it is definitely a "blast from the past". I joined that skateboard park when it first opened. I was quite a skater back then. Prior to that we used to skate along Braes Bayou until they would not let us any longer.

The skateboard park was fun, but cost a lot of money to eat and drink there. It was very small and too pricey for the patrons in Sharpstown. Also, the attitude from the owners wasn't the best of business. I am trying to remember the year. Was it 1980 or 1981?

• The title was changed to Skateboard Park In Sharpstown