DY-NO-MITE!

After Howard McFarland Fish's checked luggage was singled out for extra scrutiny, a secondary inspection performed by Customs and Border Protection found at least two suspicious items, including the dynamite, in his bag.

Fish, a U.S. citizen from Connecticut and Pennsylvania college student, arrived in Houston on Continental Airlines Flight 52 from Buenos Aires, Argentina, around 6 a.m. today.

This seems like a good time for those that think racial profiling is a good idea to make their argument.

This seems like a good time for those that think racial profiling is a good idea to make their argument.

Exactly how much security should we expect from an airport overseas? Flying from Korea to the U.S., I could see that security was tight but different. Are inbound flights coming to the U.S. watched as a whole as much as flights domestically?

Anyone that has flown in and out of the country knows that you have to claim your checked baggage, past through US Customs and security and then recheck your baggage on to your final destination. The claim and re-screening process applies even if your point of entry into the USA is your final destination.

Anyone that has flown in and out of the country knows that you have to claim your checked baggage, past through US Customs and security and then recheck your baggage on to your final destination. The claim and re-screening process applies even if your point of entry into the USA is your final destination.

...which is why it erks me as to how dynomite wasn't found until AFTER the plane landed on U.S. soil...

...which is why it erks me as to how dynomite wasn't found until AFTER the plane landed on U.S. soil...

Each country has its own standards when it comes to security. As much as we may like to think everyone wants to be like America, it isnt the case. All INTL traffic into the USA from points abroad must go through the Customs and rescreening process, unless you are coming in from whats called a pre-cleared station such as Canada or Ireland. I know there are more but those are the only 2 i have had personal experience with. In the pre-cleared stations, US Customs and Immigration is available in the foreign land in which you are departing from to the USA.

Each country has its own standards when it comes to security. As much as we may like to think everyone wants to be like America, it isnt the case. All INTL traffic into the USA from points abroad must go through the Customs and rescreening process, unless you are coming in from whats called a pre-cleared station such as Canada or Ireland. I know there are more but those are the only 2 i have had personal experience with. In the pre-cleared stations, US Customs and Immigration is available in the foreign land in which you are departing from to the USA.

Million-Dollar Question: Is this story a big deal regarding Homeland Security, or not no biggie?

Million-Dollar Question: Is this story a big deal regarding Homeland Security, or not no biggie?

I dont think it is a big deal because there were no extraordinary things done to catch this idiot with the dynomite in his luggage. It wasnt caught due to enhanced procedures, it was caught using the same procedures that have been in place for over a decade.

Archived