Poe Elementary School At 5100 Hazard St.

Alpha

Does anyone remember this? I was in the 6th grade at Horn Elementary in September of 1959. They told us to go straight home, but would not tell us why.

I knew that Kolter Elementary was named after one of the teachers who died. A few years ago I worked with a lady who was the substitute that took over Jeanne Kolter's classroom after her death.

You will need to scroll down to read the part about Poe School.

http://www.texasranger.org/dispatch/7/Gooding.htm

I remember it. The "Juanita Weidner" referenced in the story was my cousin.

• 10 months later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 1 month later...

I was in the ninth grade at Lanier Jr. High when it happened. We could hear emergency vehicle after vehicle coming down Woodhead in front of the school. The teacher would not let us stand up to see what was going on. The school went on a lock down protected by Some of the bigger foot ball players from the school holding bats at the main entrance door, the other doors were locked. My mom was called by a personal friend from the sheriffs department asking if I was still going to Poe. She informed him that I was now in the ninth grade at Lanier. He them told her what has happened at Poe. The deputy hadn't seen me in years and was not sure just how old I was at the time.

• 3 weeks later...

So in essence, only a few people were killed? Right?

The topic title had me thinking the whole school was imploded like the Oklahoma City situation. Strange how time repeats itself. Who would think 50 plus years later it would still be happening but with guns. sad.gif

This is eerie as heck...

:(

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • The title was changed to Poe Elementary School
  • The title was changed to Poe Elementary School At 5100 Hazard St.