Couple of Rumors

mrfootball

Heard a couple of rumors from an acquaintance who is one of the Lakewood board members -- mentioning that a new Mall will be built in Cypress, near Cypress Rosehill and 290, to include among others, a Nordstrom's.

Also, a high-end custom home neighborhood going in on the site of the old Treeline Golf course, starting in the $500k's. They're going to keep the trees and rolling terrain to use in the development.

Heard some other things, but nothing I can mention here right now.

Good stuff.

Heard a couple of rumors from an acquaintance who is one of the Lakewood board members -- mentioning that a new Mall will be built in Cypress, near Cypress Rosehill and 290, to include among others, a Nordstrom's.

Also, a high-end custom home neighborhood going in on the site of the old Treeline Golf course, starting in the $500k's. They're going to keep the trees and rolling terrain to use in the development.

Good stuff.

They're going to keep the trees? That's heresy! Don't they know that's against the Houston Builders' Code? It would violate the Builders' Prime Directive, which is that no tree shall be left standing, or be allowed to stand in the way of building something.

Sounds very plausible, but how reliable would you place this source?

This is the same source that gave me the early info regarding there being a "Central Market" at Vintage Park, which was partially correct as its a Hybrid store (a la the HEB Woodlands Market -- HEB Vintage Market). So I'd give it about 65-70% confidence.

Good stuff.

WOW!! Does this mean that the property value of our home in Cypress Rosehill will skyrocket? Im not sure how that works with malls.

WOW!! Does this mean that the property value of our home in Cypress Rosehill will skyrocket? Im not sure how that works with malls.

If the rumors are true, and a shopping mall is built on Cypress-Rosehill, yes your property values will go up. That also means your property taxes will go up.

If the rumors are true, and a shopping mall is built on Cypress-Rosehill, yes your property values will go up. That also means your property taxes will go up.

Doesnt make sense that we have to pay extra propery taxes. Its not a school, but a retail center where the leased vendor pays the rent.

Doesnt make sense that we have to pay extra propery taxes. Its not a school, but a retail center where the leased vendor pays the rent.

It only sounds confusing. Your tax RATE may not go up, but you will still pay more taxes because the nearby commercial development will pull your appraised value up. A rising tide floats all boats, as they say.

That's not necessarily a bad thing for people who itemize on their tax returns. Higher property tax bills give you a bigger income tax deduction. The money you pay in county and school taxes comes back to you from Uncle Sam. It's not quite a wash but I can live with it.

Over on SkyscraperPage.com, there is a thread about the new Simon development called The Grand out on the Katy @ Grand Parkway. In that thread there is a link to the website for The Grand.

In that website, there is a map of shopping centers in The Grand's trade area. On that map, there are two shopping centers shown in the general area of 290 and Cypress Rose Hill.

One is Houston Premium Outlets, scheduled to open 2008-2009. The other is Fairfield Town Center scheduled to open in 2007. Houston Premium Outlets appears to be right at the intersection of 290 and the Grand Parkway, while the Fairfield Town Center appears to be closer to 290 @ Cypress Rose Hill.

Could either of these be what you have heard about?

Another "rumor" I heard was that there will be a beautification project on the 99 / I-10 interchange, heading south, going all the way to Highland Knolls. I have actually seen some plants and trees being horded underneath the Kingsland overpass, so maybe this will actually happen.

Another "rumor" I heard was that there will be a beautification project on the 99 / I-10 interchange, heading south, going all the way to Highland Knolls. I have actually seen some plants and trees being horded underneath the Kingsland overpass, so maybe this will actually happen.

They've already started planting on the East side of 99 from Kingsland to the exit for I-10. By the way, I think I saw you in old katy this morning while taking my son to school.

They've already started planting on the East side of 99 from Kingsland to the exit for I-10. By the way, I think I saw you in old katy this morning while taking my son to school.

HA ! I was taking my daughter to school, pre-K. :)

Ha, ha, your kidding. Small world my friend.

I am not a Luthern, I am Methodist, but the school is TOP NOTCH ! My little one cannot wait to go to school in the mornings. It is the best money I spend every month.

• 3 months later...

Good stuff.

This is an untrue rumor. There is no place to place a mall at this location, especially not one of the caliber that would have a Nordstrom.

There are however two projects in the preliminary stage at 290 and the Grand Parkway. However, one of these corner4s is actually owned by HEB and will probbaly be a HEB like the one in Katy with strip shopping around it. The other corner is looking to JV with a mall operator/developer and will probably not start for several more years.

This is an untrue rumor. There is no place to place a mall at this location, especially not one of the caliber that would have a Nordstrom.

There are however two projects in the preliminary stage at 290 and the Grand Parkway. However, one of these corner4s is actually owned by HEB and will probbaly be a HEB like the one in Katy with strip shopping around it. The other corner is looking to JV with a mall operator/developer and will probably not start for several more years.

How do you know? Do you know the area well? Are you a developer? Do you have inside information? Caliber of Nordstrom's? Please don't make me laugh. It's a department store, a nice one sure...one that is looking to expand in Houston. There are some great demographics in that rapidly growing area with relatively high Avg HH Incomes and the sheer population numbers to support it as it would likely draw from areas along 290 between 249 and 529 from Jersey Village all the way to Brenham and College Station.

I'm confused about one of your statements, though..."other corner is looking to JV". Believe me, there is a definite need for a mall in this area, whether it be a indoors mall or an outdoors-lifestyle/town center type concept.

I'm not saying its guaranteed, but thus far this source has been correct in everything they've told me. If you've got inside info, let us know.

Danke.

I'll add that 'Bridgeland' is being developed by General Growth Properties (who is one of if not the biggest mall developers in the nation. They're planning on building a Town Center (but that may be several years away).

Also, I understand that Town Lake has a significant office/retail component as well as 290 frontage.

I thought indoor malls were becoming obsolete. A town center built just for one neighborhood? I doubt it. They need to quit trying to make these faux-town centers everywhere. They are almost as bad as all the Mediterranean/Tuscany styled development that goes up around Houston.

Here's an idea: incorporate Cypress and build a real town center like people built in the 1800s. It should be a multi-functional public space, and the money, labor, inspiration, and values embedded in the town center should come from the town itself, not some outside money machine.

I thought indoor malls were becoming obsolete. A town center built just for one neighborhood? I doubt it. They need to quit trying to make these faux-town centers everywhere. They are almost as bad as all the Mediterranean/Tuscany styled development that goes up around Houston.

Here's an idea: incorporate Cypress and build a real town center like people built in the 1800s. It should be a multi-functional public space, and the money, labor, inspiration, and values embedded in the town center should come from the town itself, not some outside money machine.

You know, I just came from a ULI luncheon at Sugar Land Town Square and was browsing the materials that they had available. They're always pressing developers and municipalities for what you describe, but everything that they showed as examples just came across as a cheap imitation. I'd give more consideration to the idea if it could be carried out more gracefully with modern materials, but it just seems like everything that gets built along that pattern just looks the same. The goal is 'place making', but all just looks contrived and fake.

The aesthetic problem with suburbia has nothing to do with density and everything to do about pattern repetition. It is boring. It is a doctrine--a formula. So is new urbanism, and the resulting town centers, and that just doesn't float my boat. Neither does an attempt at recreating faux-history.

What I want to see is creativity in architecture. That's all.

JV = Joint Venture

And yes, I have more than my fair shre of information on this area due to business interests.

How do you know? Do you know the area well? Are you a developer? Do you have inside information? Caliber of Nordstrom's? Please don't make me laugh. It's a department store, a nice one sure...one that is looking to expand in Houston. There are some great demographics in that rapidly growing area with relatively high Avg HH Incomes and the sheer population numbers to support it as it would likely draw from areas along 290 between 249 and 529 from Jersey Village all the way to Brenham and College Station.

I'm confused about one of your statements, though..."other corner is looking to JV". Believe me, there is a definite need for a mall in this area, whether it be a indoors mall or an outdoors-lifestyle/town center type concept.

I'm not saying its guaranteed, but thus far this source has been correct in everything they've told me. If you've got inside info, let us know.

You know, I just came from a ULI luncheon at Sugar Land Town Square and was browsing the materials that they had available. They're always pressing developers and municipalities for what you describe, but everything that they showed as examples just came across as a cheap imitation. I'd give more consideration to the idea if it could be carried out more gracefully with modern materials, but it just seems like everything that gets built along that pattern just looks the same. The goal is 'place making', but all just looks contrived and fake.

The aesthetic problem with suburbia has nothing to do with density and everything to do about pattern repetition. It is boring. It is a doctrine--a formula. So is new urbanism, and the resulting town centers, and that just doesn't float my boat. Neither does an attempt at recreating faux-history.

What I want to see is creativity in architecture. That's all.

Yeah, I know what you mean. People don't want to invest in their own communities with their own money and their own labor anymore. Our society is disposable now, and left in the hands of profit-oriented developers who could be building a Houston suburb's Town Center from a headquarters in Louisiana and money coming from Florida. Until a suburb incorporates, it's not a real town center anyways, because it's just being controlled by the county. I don't see anything being authentic or built-to-last anymore, because people just don't have those values or the spirit anymore. Back in the 1800s, certain colors, certain building materials, and certain layouts, design highlights, etc. contained the values of the community or a true inspiration, whether it was by a single person or a collective group.

Yeah, I know what you mean. People don't want to invest in their own communities with their own money and their own labor anymore. Our society is disposable now, and left in the hands of profit-oriented developers who could be building a Houston suburb's Town Center from a headquarters in Louisiana and money coming from Florida. Until a suburb incorporates, it's not a real town center anyways, because it's just being controlled by the county. I don't see anything being authentic or built-to-last anymore, because people just don't have those values or the spirit anymore. Back in the 1800s, certain colors, certain building materials, and certain layouts, design highlights, etc. contained the values of the community or a true inspiration, whether it was by a single person or a collective group.

Well...I don't know about any of that.

I think that design varied more by region because regional cultures were still very identifiable, often carried over from source areas by new immigrants. Today's cultural environment is more of a melting pot than a mosaic.

And I think that most 1800's structures weren't really all that durable...it's just that the ones that are left tend to bias our opinions that way. And there probably are more maintenance and repair issues with newer homes, but then again newer homes have more amenities and are more complex structures. The amenities add value, but they also will break down more frequently.

Archived