Delay Lied To Us About Metro?

VelvetJ

There is a interview in this weeks Houston Business Journal with Metro Head David Wolff regarding Metro. Near the end of the interview he made a statement that was a little discouraging yet not surprising regarding a "elected official" who promised to help Metro if the people approved extending rail in Houston. This is a quote from the interviewer and the Mr. Wolff:

"Q: How would you characterize your first year as chairman?

A: I came into office thinking that a lot of issues had been resolved by the referendum, only to find that there are some people who did not accept it. And a lot of effort has to be ongoing to build the consensus which I thought had been arrived at.

Q: What issues are you referring to exactly?

A: Certain elected officials said if you have a referendum and the people approve it, then we'll work with you.

But I have been educated that there is, "Oh yes we'll help you if you get through the approval process" -- which is not much help at all -- versus "We are going to go to the mat for you."

The Federal Transit Administration is a federal agency. Any federal agency wants to know what the federal officials representing a region feel about a request. If they express themselves vociferously and unanimously in favor of that request, the federal agency will review it more favorably than if they stand with their hands at their sides.

There is no doubt in my mind that rail will change the city. That doesn't mean that you won't have tremendous growth in the suburbs, absolutely you will. But it will give people an alternative desirable lifestyle, which is what a metropolitan area has to have to compete with other metropolitan areas. And anybody who doubts that we aren't in competition just doesn't understand cities. "

So did Mr. Delay lie to us or did he just not tell us the whole truth?

For the entire interview, it can be found at the following site :

link

Delay? Lie? Never! I can't believe it. After all he's done for Houston.

Like... um... helping donors clear the last fragments of the Katie Prairie for strip malls and housing developments.

And... um... Keeping Texas' good reputation unblemished by not engaging in any activities that would attract the attention of ethics committees...

And... um... Keeping Sugar Land so beige! Where would we be without that color?

He's made certain that Texas receives 80 cents back for every dollar we pay in transportation dollars. (But his ads take credit for improvements to US 59.) Members of his own party are allowed to take five dollars back to their home state.

Delay?  Lie?  Never!  I can't believe it.  After all he's done for Houston.

Like... um... helping donors clear the last fragments of the Katie Prairie for strip malls and housing developments.

And... um... Keeping Texas' good reputation unblemished by not engaging in any activities that would attract the attention of ethics committees...

And... um... Keeping Sugar Land so beige!  Where would we be without that color?

My thoughts EXACTLY!!!

Nov. 22, 2004, 12:28AM

SOUNDING BOARD

Disregard that misleading transportation statistic

By JAMES HOWARD GIBBONS

Copyright 2004 Houston Chronicle

Before the Metropolitan Transit Authority's referendum in November 2003, Reps. Tom DeLay and John Culberson said they would honor and respect the will of the people. The referendum, which authorized the expansion of Metro's light rail system, narrowly passed, but the two Republicans have adopted a curious way of showing their respect.

DeLay, when the subject turns to mass transit, is going around saying that it doesn't make sense to spend 23 percent of Houston's transportation dollars to serve 5 percent of the people. (Sometimes he arbitrarily drops it to 3 percent.) Culberson, who advertises himself as his own man, says much the same thing.

Newton and Leibniz invented calculus simultaneously, each independent of the other, so DeLay and Culberson could have concocted this meaningless and misleading pseudo-statistic, each on his own. In all likelihood, they collaborated.

The truth is that no one, certainly not Metro, is proposing to spend almost a quarter of every transportation dollar to benefit 5 percent of the people. Consider the following points:

Delay never had an intention to further the transit systems' plan for rail. He opposed it too vehemently for a number of years. Unfortunately, what was stated earlier about the importance of your locally elected federal officials' involvement in the funds procurement process is very true.

It's the reason that Dallas has expanded its light rail system to about 44 miles worth of light rail in about eight years. They also have a nice commuter (heavy) rail from Downtown Dallas to Downtown Fort Worth (about 30 miles). DART was able to expand upon its starter system so rapidly because of Senators Kay Bailey Hutchinson, and Bob Graham, Representatives Martin Frost and Eddie Bernice Johnson. These congressmen and women "went to the mat" for the light rail funding, and as a result, they secured the first grant ever doled out for such a project. Ever since, the money just keeps flowing in as a result of their continued support. They let people in Washington know that they consider it a PRIORITY.

If Delay does not make similar efforts, much less stop his criticisms of METRO's light rail plan, then you can't expect for much to happen in the area of funding . . . and this year is a crucial year because there are more requests than ever for those funds. So the increased competition alone will make it that much more difficult to secure funding.

I guess when it comes down to it you have to ask yourself the following: "Did you really think that a man who couldn't respect the results of the 2002 elections, based on the old congressional map, would respect the referendum on the expansion of light rail?" He didn't like either of them. He worked hard to have that map redrawn to get his way (more Texas Republicans going to Washington), and now you're starting to see what he has in store for light rail expansion in Houston . . . until he gets his way. But you CAN stop him.

My response -- voters should have booted DeLay out of DC a decade ago. I did my part when I was living in his district by not voting for him. I've also sent letters to both he and John Culberson, whose district I once again live in (funny how I've moved only once in the last four years and have been in three different Congressional districts). I also did not vote for Culberson this time around in part because of this issue. Unfortunately far too many people around here don't share my point of view on these guys and keep reelecting them. It's also unfortunate that DeLay rules the House with such much power that the other Houston Congressional delegates are unwilling or unable to speak out against him for the expansion of Houston's rail system.

My response -- voters should have booted DeLay out of DC a decade ago. I did my part when I was living in his district by not voting for him. I've also sent letters to both he and John Culberson, whose district I once again live in (funny how I've moved only once in the last four years and have been in three different Congressional districts). I also did not vote for Culberson this time around in part because of this issue. Unfortunately far too many people around here don't share my point of view on these guys and keep reelecting them. It's also unfortunate that DeLay rules the House with such much power that the other Houston Congressional delegates are unwilling or unable to speak out against him for the expansion of Houston's rail system.

ssullivan, thanks for doing your part. Do you think that Houstonians will hold these other representatives' feet to the fire since the referendum did pass?

Unfortunately, too many people tend to vote for the PARTY (Republican) first and foremost without giving any real thought to the actual candidate.

How anyone in their right mind could vote for the Hammer this last election cycle is beyond me. I simply don't get it. Maybe there are just more people who vote "morality" over any other issue, but it's not like Tom DeLay is a man who anyone with decent morals would admire. He has harmed the entire region (banning Houston from earmarked federal funds for rail, hurting NASA research through his "moral" grandstanding, backing development of the Katy Prairie, lining his pockets with donations from companies which harm the environment, and pretty much disregarding the rules to gerrymander districts for the sole and stated purpose of helping Republicans win office).

Unfortunately, too many people tend to vote for the PARTY (Republican) first and foremost without giving any real thought to the actual candidate.

How anyone in their right mind could vote for the Hammer this last election cycle is beyond me. I simply don't get it. Maybe there are just more people who vote "morality" over any other issue, but it's not like Tom DeLay is a man who anyone with decent morals would admire. He has harmed the entire region (banning Houston from earmarked federal funds for rail, hurting NASA research through his "moral" grandstanding, backing development of the Katy Prairie, lining his pockets with donations from companies which harm the environment, and pretty much disregarding the rules to gerrymander districts for the sole and stated purpose of helping Republicans win office).

Yes but DeLay and his family are such good, moral people. I mean remember their outcry a few years ago when his daughter discovered that there were kids having premarital sex and drinking at her university?

(Of course I'm being sarcastic with the above comments.)

One thing I have learned in life is, "what comes around goes around". Tom Delay's clandestine motives for doing certain things will come back to haunt him. It never fails. And as a Christian myself, I am totally surprised that he do the things he does, without what seems to be a consciousness of the fact that God knows his TRUE motives, even if his supporters don't.

I now live in Ft. Bend County and will do my part as well. But one ray of light is the fact thatmore and more people seem to be waking up to his antics. With each election, it seems his numbers are shrinking. We can only look to the future.

Archived