Nice places to visit

sootycat

NO ONE MENTIONED MARFA, TX

Any of you been out there? West Texas is gorgeous. Lots to do in the surrounding area. You can go to Big Bend, Balmorea is close, go through Fort Davis and stop in at UT's McDonald observatory-3rd largest telescope in the worlrd, go to Presidio and stop in ghost town called Shafter (really cool cemetary) and go over the border to Mexico for the afternoon.

Marfa has the Chinati Foundation which is a really cool art installation that's on an old army base. Can't explain it, look it up. People from all over the world go there and are moving there. There are all kind of galleries and neat little restaurants in town.

The movie Giant with James Dean and Elizabeth Taylor was filmed in Marfa at the historic Paisano Hotel. There is nothing like that hotel, it's gorgeous.

It does take 10 hours to get there from Houston. It gets gorgeous around Kerrville. Or you can fly to Midland and rent a car and drive for 3 hours.

Don't forget the Marfa Lights, OOOOOOOH Scarrrrrry. Believe it or not some of the best shrimp in Texas can be gotten in Imperial Texas just north of Fort Stockton. Permian Sea shrimp are sweet and cultivated in pure water that has been traped under ground since West Texas was under the ocean.

joe

Don't forget the Marfa Lights, OOOOOOOH Scarrrrrry. Believe it or not some of the best shrimp in Texas can be gotten in Imperial Texas just north of Fort Stockton. Permian Sea shrimp are sweet and cultivated in pure water that has been traped under ground since West Texas was under the ocean.

joe

Yes the shrimp are awesome! My mom moved there a couple of years ago so she discovered them. And the Lights, of course! I don't know about those.... lol

I love the idea of mountains meet desert. The weather is soooooo nice out there.

Guest Marty

Paducah Texas tsha link

I have not visited paducah in 10+ years but i used to go hunting with my family there alot you could really get away from the every day life and relax, i also remember that the sky would turn a eerie red at night from the red dirt when there was a severe storm in the area.

Bastrop!

It's a great place to visit

AND

a great place to live!

and be sure to stop at ELGIN for the barbecue!

These two towns have that rare smalltown feel and atmosphere. A rarity in Tejas theses days!

BIG BEN is known to be a whole new world too! :D

NO ONE MENTIONED MARFA, TX

Marfa is an interesting little town. I also really enjoy Alpine, which overall I think is a much more attractive town, and more scenic. But Marfa is still nice, and it's only a 30 minute drive between the two.

Work has me going to Alpine four or five times this year. I was just down there again this past week. It takes forever to get out there

• 2 weeks later...

Bandera is nice. Go to the museum there.

I went to college in Canyon, Texas (West Texas State) in the panhandle and it is very nice. The university has a terrific museum on campus and Palo Duro Canyon is close by. Lots and lots of little bitty towns along the way, if you take the back roads, like I do.

San Augustine is a historic little town in East Texas with some nice, historic homes.

Bandera is nice. Go to the museum there.

I went to college in Canyon, Texas (West Texas State) in the panhandle and it is very nice. The university has a terrific museum on campus and Palo Duro Canyon is close by. Lots and lots of little bitty towns along the way, if you take the back roads, like I do.

San Augustine is a historic little town in East Texas with some nice, historic homes.

Wow. You're the first person I've ever met who's been to Canyon, too. I ended up there at about 3am one morning. I slept on the hood of my car for a while and when the sun started to come up I took the most fabulous pictures in the canyon.

Wow. You're the first person I've ever met who's been to Canyon, too. I ended up there at about 3am one morning. I slept on the hood of my car for a while and when the sun started to come up I took the most fabulous pictures in the canyon.

I've been there, too -- this past spring break. There's a few fun things to do in the area, and in Amarillo, which is just 20 miles north. Hiking the Palo Duro canyon was breathtaking -- can't believe I had never been there before.

• 2 weeks later...

I loved Canyon. Nice, quiet little Texas town (except when the trains rumble through). Palo Duro Canyon is lovely. Georgia O'Keeffe thought it was the most beautiful place on earth. I went back recently and was shocked and disappointed to see that they have built houses on Sunday Canyon near the park entrance.

Archived