part brick, part hardi-plank

BWSchultz

Personally, I can't figure out what the big deal is. If you look at Houston houses that are 50+ years old, you will also see a mix of brick and another material, such as stucco or wood. Hardiplank is essentially a wood substitue. The fact that builders use brick and hardi today, is no different than using brick and wood many years ago. I admit that I like brick better (my house is brick on all 4 sides), but I hardly see the use of brick and wood (or a wood substitute) as something that should be "blamed" on today's builders.

Personally, I can't figure out what the big deal is. If you look at Houston houses that are 50+ years old, you will also see a mix of brick and another material, such as stucco or wood. Hardiplank is essentially a wood substitue. The fact that builders use brick and hardi today, is no different than using brick and wood many years ago. I admit that I like brick better (my house is brick on all 4 sides), but I hardly see the use of brick and wood (or a wood substitute) as something that should be "blamed" on today's builders.

Good point really. Many of the houses in my 50 year old neighborhood are a combo of brick and cedar shingle siding. Then as you go north into the more expensive neighborhoods they become all brick.

flipper

Good point really. Many of the houses in my 50 year old neighborhood are a combo of brick and cedar shingle siding. Then as you go north into the more expensive neighborhoods they become all brick.

flipper

I'm not fond of the all brick look. I've seen some new development where every house is made from the same color brick. It looks like the land has warts.

I admit that I like brick better (my house is brick on all 4 sides), but I hardly see the use of brick and wood (or a wood substitute) as something that should be "blamed" on today's builders.

when the builders are using all the same brick/hardi combo and all the same exterior paint in the same neighborhood...well...i blame the builders.

when the builders are using all the same brick/hardi combo and all the same exterior paint in the same neighborhood...well...i blame the builders.

You should blame the HOA. Hardi is paintable. Bricks, well, there aren't a lot of options in bricks... you get red, cream, gray or some variation thereof.

If you want a custom home, build one. If you want a home that is homogenous (which is what years of real estate purchases have shown most people to want) a brick and non-brick combo with basic colors and MAYBE some painted trim, is pretty much right on target for most of the U.S.

Builders build what the masses want to afford, where they want to afford it.

You should blame the HOA. Hardi is paintable. Bricks, well, there aren't a lot of options in bricks... you get red, cream, gray or some variation thereof.

If you want a custom home, build one. If you want a home that is homogenous (which is what years of real estate purchases have shown most people to want) a brick and non-brick combo with basic colors and MAYBE some painted trim, is pretty much right on target for most of the U.S.

Builders build what the masses want to afford, where they want to afford it.

Great Post.

flipper

Archived