Houston Northwest Chamber Seeks Help Naming Our Community

mrfootball

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Certain areas do have names.

Spring/Klein, Tomball, and Champions Forest are different. If someone lives directly off of 1960, then they say "I live south/north of 1960", only a few places are uncertain. If someone tells me they live in Champions Forest, I know they don't live around Kuykendahl @ Louetta... (Which is Spring)

As a kid who was raised in the area and knows the local jargon....here's my take on defining the area sub-markets...of course they all blend and intersect.

"Spring" -- means area running along either side of I-45 from FM 1960 to the Woodlands.

"Klein" -- area from Hwy 249 to Kuykendahl...Louetta to Boudreaux

"Cypress Area" roughly bordered by FM 1960, Hwy 290, Hwy 249 till you get to Fairfield

"Tomball Area" - Boudreaux out to past Spring Creek, 2978 to Mueschke.

"Champions Area" around Cutten Rd to Stuebner, FM 1960 to Louetta

"Willowbrook Area" from the RR tracks past Cutten to Gears Rd along either side of FM 1960.

"FM 1960 Area" - 249 to I-45 all along FM 1960

"HP Area" - Area running along either side of Louetta from Longwood to the Railroad tracks in Vintage Park....and along 249 from Cypresswood to Spring-Cypress.

"Spring" -- means area running along either side of I-45 from FM 1960 to the Woodlands.

"Klein" -- area from Hwy 249 to Kuykendahl...Louetta to Boudreaux

"Tomball Area" - Boudreaux out to past Spring Creek, 2978 to Mueschke.

"Champions Area" around Cutten Rd to Stuebner, FM 1960 to Louetta

"Willowbrook Area" from the RR tracks past Cutten to Gears Rd along either side of FM 1960.

"FM 1960 Area" - 249 to I-45 all along FM 1960

"HP Area" - Area running along either side of Louetta from Longwood to the Railroad tracks in Vintage Park....and along 249 from Cypresswood to Spring-Cypress.

Absolutely. Although Cypress doesn't ring a bell.

What do you mean when you say 249 to Fairfield as being the Cypress area?

There's an area next to 2920 that gets real sketchy between Waller, CFISD and TISD.

I really didn't realize how much area Tomball ISD encompasses. i was at Augusta Pines tonight and the area that is going to be Creekside Village in The Woodlands will be TISD. It took me a good 35 minutes to drive from eastern side of the district to the northern side.

If "the great northwest" is the boundary for what we're trying to name, I don't really think it needs a name. Unless tiny communities start to incorporate someday in the future, things will remain status quo. Look at the people who live in this area: Baby boomer conservatives who hate to pay taxes and love the idea of not living in the city limits. These people aren't going anywhere, and they are not trying to form new towns or redevelop the streets, roads, and land into new incorporated areas. They do not have that sort of pioneering spirit.

About Champions, this is a relatively small area that was very well planned, and so it seems like it's bigger than it really is. Champions is part of Houston, so it should not be included in any names other than being part of north Houston. Willowbrook is actually in the city limits and seems to have a well-defined area, which many people refer to as the "willowbrook area". As for everything else, it should be Cy-Fair, Klein, Spring, and then you can get more specific if you need to like 249 corridor or HP/Lakewood area.

Given that nothing has changed politically, economically, or socially in this area, I think Greater Northwest should be good enough for telephone books and whatever the NW Chamber is interested in promoting.

I don't think people moved out here because it was unincorporated. People move out here for the nice neighborhoods, good schools, and low crime rates.

I think the very thing you're questioning (politically) is already occuring within the Cypress Creek Cultural Improvement District. What you're seeing are the very beginnings of a group that is looking to create an identity for itself as an edge city, an incubator for self-government. The first step is settling on a unifying name that represents everyone in the area.

If "the great northwest" is the boundary for what we're trying to name, I don't really think it needs a name. Unless tiny communities start to incorporate someday in the future, things will remain status quo. Look at the people who live in this area: Baby boomer conservatives who hate to pay taxes and love the idea of not living in the city limits. These people aren't going anywhere, and they are not trying to form new towns or redevelop the streets, roads, and land into new incorporated areas. They do not have that sort of pioneering spirit.

About Champions, this is a relatively small area that was very well planned, and so it seems like it's bigger than it really is. Champions is part of Houston, so it should not be included in any names other than being part of north Houston. Willowbrook is actually in the city limits and seems to have a well-defined area, which many people refer to as the "willowbrook area". As for everything else, it should be Cy-Fair, Klein, Spring, and then you can get more specific if you need to like 249 corridor or HP/Lakewood area.

Given that nothing has changed politically, economically, or socially in this area, I think Greater Northwest should be good enough for telephone books and whatever the NW Chamber is interested in promoting.

the families i know that have moved to the "great northwest" are the children of baby boomers who have young families and either work for hewlett packard, wanted to be in the klein school district specifically and/or wanted to be near their baby boomer parents in the woodlands/conroe area. in fact, one family sold their renovated heights home to be in this area (the dad now commutes to the loop). these are not boomers and they LOVE the city.

of all the families i know who live in the great northwest, ZERO have moved because they do not want to pay city taxes. living "outside" of the city limits is not a factor. in fact, they miss many aspects of being in the city.

i think it would be healthy for outlying areas to begin incorporating as the need arises. houston cannot provide all the services needed to the ever-increasing populations at the edge of its reach.

I don't think people moved out here because it was unincorporated. People move out here for the nice neighborhoods, good schools, and low crime rates.

I think the very thing you're questioning (politically) is already occuring within the Cypress Creek Cultural Improvement District. What you're seeing are the very beginnings of a group that is looking to create an identity for itself as an edge city, an incubator for self-government. The first step is settling on a unifying name that represents everyone in the area.

There are two problems with The Cypress Creek CID trying to create an edge city. First, you don't have the infrastructure for one. An edge city has to be designed as such, and it's very difficult to transform a suburban area into an edge city like the Woodlands. Secondly, when you say "represents everyone in the area", who is included in this area? Is Klein included, because they have a chunk of the Cypress Creek running through it. Are the lower middle class neighborhoods around Fallbrook and Perry Rd included in this edge city? Is West Rd/Winchester area included? Is the Steeplechase area included? What about everything that has a Cypress address on the tree-less side of 290 like around 529? This is all part of the Great Northwest or Cy-Fair area, is it not?

I think the focus should be on incorporating the HP/Vintage Park area and the surrounding neighborhoods into an edge city, and then merge it with Willowbrook. This area already has mid-rise buildings along 249 corridor to make further urbanization not so difficult. This should help keep the Willowbrook Mall from going downhill, but realistically, by the time they incorporated this area, the mall would already be torn down and redeveloped. I kind of like this idea of having a city right on 249 that will be on future maps. The main problem is how to name it. Cypress, TX? but this would not include the other parts of Cypress. How about Cypress Creek? The high school on Grant already bears the name.

Bachanon- you seemed to contradict yourself. You said that none of those you know have moved because they don't want to pay city taxes, yet you say that living "outside" the city was a non-factor. Maybe you mean "living outside the city" in more of a visual sense?

Are these young children of baby boomers that you refer to in their 20s or 30s? I'm 25, but there's no way I could afford to buy a house in the Cy-Creek area. Most people in their late 20s who have not been given any inheritance or assistance from parents would not be able to buy anything around Longwood on their own. They would need a starter home, but those are way out near Tomball or on the west side of 249 around 1960. Actually I think there are lots of cheaper houses being built in Spring area right now.

I believe these are the questions being asked right now by the CCCID.

The Woodlands is exploring the same idea of self-government. If they believe it is possible, I think it only plausible that self-government can be achieved for the NW Harris County (Cypress Creek area) as well as the Cy-Fair area. But the groundwork must be layed. That is what this group is doing.

Again, something must be done, either give the County ordinance making authority, free us from the ETJ stranglehold so that we may self-govern, or annex us. This area is getting much too populous, the current situation doesn't adequately serve residents.

Houston has a more difficult time annexing large chunks of individual MUD's and infrastructure (a la NW Houston) which are numerous and cast over a wider area than it does when it annexes complete Master planned communities (a la Kingwood). With that said, its still no easy task for them to even do that. Which is why they're in no hurry to do it again, preferring instead to rely on commercial incursions such what they're doing with Willowbrook Mall and down in the Energy Corridor.

• 3 weeks later...

Why don't they just say what they put for their mailing address?

I don't get people from the "Klein" area saying they are from Klein. If I'm not mistaken, Klein is just the school district, not the name of the town. The town they live in is Spring, am I right?

If they want to give that community a name, they need to change their address too.

• The title was changed to Houston Northwest Chamber Seeks Help Naming Our Community

Archived