Galveston No. 5 Cruise Ship Terminal in North America

No.11 in the world! B)

But Houston threatens this success with its new cruise terminal opening in 2007 :(

Link to Article

porton9.jpg

I don't know why Houston wants to compete with Galveston. Houston and Galveston should be working together and make the port at Galveston stronger. Maybe even luring in the Disney Cruise Line, since a Disney park doesn't seem to likely at this moment.

• 2 weeks later...

It seems like only yesterday that no one would have ever thought of taking a cruise from Galveston or Houston. Now Galveston has vaulted to No. 5 in the USofA. And Houston, too, has gone from zero to sumpin sumpin quickly. Cool. That's what water will do for ya! I think Houston isn't trying to take away from Galveston's cruise ship growth, but that Houston just wants to have a piece of the action too. Seems there is plenty to go around for both ports. Hmmm.... I might just start looking for some trips to take this winter from either port. That way, I won't have to do anything but drive my car to the port and get onboard. Yay!!!! Works for me. B)

U mean to tell me that the only blue water in Galveston belongs to cruise ships?! We sure could use some at da beach :P

I was in Galveston Friday and the water was great (Southeast winds)! It was green all the way to the beach and I could actually see down about 3 feet.

It seems like only yesterday that no one would have ever thought of taking a cruise from Galveston or Houston. Now Galveston has vaulted to No. 5 in the USofA. And Houston, too, has gone from zero to sumpin sumpin quickly. Cool. That's what water will do for ya! I think Houston isn't trying to take away from Galveston's cruise ship growth, but that Houston just wants to have a piece of the action too. Seems there is plenty to go around for both ports. Hmmm.... I might just start looking for some trips to take this winter from either port. That way, I won't have to do anything but drive my car to the port and get onboard. Yay!!!! Works for me. B)

I hope you are right. This town needed the cruise industry in the worst way. Downtown specifically, has benefited greatly. It would be ashame to see all of this go away after these great strides.

Archived