Anticipated downtime

editor

HAIF, and its menagerie of sister web sites will experience some down time between now and Tuesday, August 8th. Ideally, the time offline will be less than ten minutes. But you know how things can go wrong.

The reason for the downtime is to move to a new server with more capabilities.

Do you have a plan in place for the ensuing panic and widespread crack withdrawl that will occur if it lasts longer?

Well, I already got my windows boarded, my flashlight's batteries replaced, and my closets stuffed with twinkies, beef jerky, MRE's, bottled water, and baby wipes just in case B)

Well, I already got my windows boarded, my flashlight's batteries replaced, and my closets stuffed with twinkies, beef jerky, MRE's, bottled water, and baby wipes just in case B)

no booze? I figured you military men would be better prepared!!!!

I have saved caches files of HAIF forums to get me through this awful time.

What will I do without my dose of HAIF joy! :o

I'll be banging down at your door soon enough. >:) "I NEED TO READ IT!!! Share the love man, SHARE it!!"

Just kidding, 10 minutes at Skyscraper city is about all I can take before I start getting ill.

The forums were down just a while ago, was that it?

Maybe. I'm not really sure, since I'm not exactly involved in the process. I just put in a request and some people in Pittsburgh make it happen.

HAIF is a pretty complex beast. The code for thre web page is on one server. Images are on another server. All of the posts and messages are on another server. All that information has to be moved, then all of the IP addresses and stuff updated. Through the magic of the internet it all comes together and looks like one web site.

Bottom line: I'm not qualified to do it, so someone else is. When it's done, I should get a memo.

I think I just accidently killed my neighbor. I couldn't connect to HAIF, so I go outside to check my cable connection. I thought he was messing with lines so I shot him. Apparently he was turning on his sprinklers.

I'm going to be laying low for a while now.. :ph34r:

Is there a chance we could lost all the info on here, or do we have a back up?

I manually make a backup about once or twice a week and keep it in my kitchen cabinet. (Imagine that... all of your thoughts and dreams are next to the canned peas!)

The hosting company makes a weekly backup of its own.

In addition, the hosting company also maintains a "shadow drive" so that every post, comment, etc... that is written to the database is simultaneously written to the shadow drive. In the event of a drive failure, the shadow can be swapped in usually in under ten minutes.

This link tells you all about where the HAIF server is. Click the links on the left side to learn about security, network, and power redundancy.

:lol: Maybe you should have a second login name like Redscare/Gary does. That way no one will know.

Not a good idea. If I find out about it, you can be banned.

I manually make a backup about once or twice a week and keep it in my kitchen cabinet. (Imagine that... all of your thoughts and dreams are next to the canned peas!)

The hosting company makes a weekly backup of its own.

In addition, the hosting company also maintains a "shadow drive" so that every post, comment, etc... that is written to the database is simultaneously written to the shadow drive. In the event of a drive failure, the shadow can be swapped in usually in under ten minutes.

This link tells you all about where the HAIF server is. Click the links on the left side to learn about security, network, and power redundancy.

Not a good idea. If I find out about it, you can be banned.

That sounds like alot of saved HAIFs.

I wonder if you added up the # of posts of Gary & Redscare... perhaps his post count would make him numero uno. Or maybe they are two different people just joking around? You know, playing along with it?

Archived