Moving to Houston and need some info please.

mephisto

Hello! I am moving to Houston from Europe (Romania) because of my business and I would like to know if The Woodlands community is a good place to by house? The main criteria are: safety, nice environment (green, parks...), time to commute to downtown Houston. Another option could be River Oaks, wich is close to downtown Houston, but I think crime is higher. I need some info from people living there. Thank you!

Hello! I am moving to Houston from Europe (Romania) because of my business and I would like to know if The Woodlands community is a good place to by house? The main criteria are: safety, nice environment (green, parks...), time to commute to downtown Houston. Another option could be River Oaks, wich is close to downtown Houston, but I think crime is higher. I need some info from people living there. Thank you!

There are lots of good communities to buy a house. Woodlands and River oaks are completely different. What price range are you looking for? Are you concerned about schools? What commute times would be acceptable?

Crime: While Central Houston has more crime, the Woodlands basically has no police. .2 officers per 1000 vs. 2.3 officers per 1000 in Houston. Most Houston Communities also provide a private patrol to suppliment the police, which the Woodlands does not. The Woodlands doesn't have nearly the amount of serious crime at this point as Houston, but the lack of police coverage and patrol is starting to show.

Schools: The public schools are much better in the Woodlands, River Oaks area mostly attends private.

Commute: If you like having a short drive home and spending evenings with your family, the Woodlands isn't for you. Even taking the Woodlands Express ( a bus that runs from the front of the Woodlands to downtown), eats a good hour into family time.

Community: Both River Oaks and The Woodlands have have a good population of European families and communities.

Price of the Housing: The Woodlands is amazingly inexpensive to purchase a home in. The Golf Club in the Woodlands is joined by the price of a joining fee and its immediate.

River Oaks is a classic, old and very affluent Houston neighborhood with prices averaging 1 million and up for homes in the better areas. The club is private and exclusive, often taking 5 to 8 years to gain membership with many recommendations from members and leaders of the Houston community.

It just depends what you are going for. Most likely if you have children, they will attend private school no matter which area you live in. They will be ahead of American schools.

Your choice is therefore: River Oaks/Tanglewood with no commute, no club membership, high property cost, lots of culture and an urban life style.

OR

The Woodlands/Northern Suburbs with an hour minimum commute, club membership, very affordable housing, excellent public schools if you chose them, yet limited culture and a very sleepy suburban lifestyle.

If you don't have school age children....stay in town!

B)

I agree with most everything posted above except for the school part.

River Oaks, Lanier, and Lamar are all great public schools. Lamar is a magnet high school but draws wealthy kids from River Oaks, Montrose, Upper Kirby, Southampton, Boulevard Oaks, Tanglewood, and Briargrove. Test scores, graduation rates, and % of kids who go on to college are VERY high.

If money is not an option, I'd chose River Oaks without a second thought.

I agree with most everything posted above except for the school part.

River Oaks, Lanier, and Lamar are all great public schools. Lamar is a magnet high school but draws wealthy kids from River Oaks, Montrose, Upper Kirby, Southampton, Boulevard Oaks, Tanglewood, and Briargrove. Test scores, graduation rates, and % of kids who go on to college are VERY high.

If money is not an option, I'd chose River Oaks without a second thought.

I agree Lamar is good, but it can be a hard social choice for those that have a good student but not an intellectual rockstar. Where HISD loses kids to private school is at Junior High levels. HISD really needs to do something about Grady!....If you are only above average, not magnet gifted material, the choices are poor...Lamar can even be a little rough for those average students from good neighborhoods....I have older friends (very pro-HISD with good kids, but not AP students) that tried it with their children, that admit that they would have gone private had they been able to swing Kinkaid or St. JOhn's for all their kids.... Still, European schools are still ahead of most of our best public schools.

I know up here in The Woodlands there is a large British community, and it seems all the families I have met send their kids to John Cooper.

Archived