Age Of Parts Of Houston

Guest Plastic

Guest Plastic

Houston was founded in 1836 with Texas. Before that it was really Harrisburg which is now the part of town we call Harrisburg. The Heights was the first neighborhood and Montrose was around in the early 20th.

Then came developments like Memorial City,Greenspoint,ALmeda,Hiram CLarke,and SHarpstown which was founded in 1955. Houston grows in layers. One layer grows then become part of the citya nd the next layer grows. It happen s about every 20 years.

It begins in odd numbered decades. The 50s I believe is when Housotn saw the white flight to the suburbs. Besides Sharpstown what neighborhoos were developing then. Then in 20 ears came the 70s,Champions Forest,Alief,and where I Northshore began to develop. It hit a high in the 80s witht he oil boom andall the new skyscrapers being built Downtown. It was also the period we got The Summit. Then fast forward to the 90s were what was once cow pastures has now become an integral part o f the city. Sugarland,The Woodlands, Cy-Fair,Katy,Kingwood,Pearland,and Clear Lake City are see sudden growth. Fast forward 10 years to now and the growth is insane.Malls, offices,hospitals, stores,hotels, all these plaxes need is a stadium and an arena an they'd function as their own cities. ANd there's that talk of Dinseyworld in Katy in 2008.

From inside the loop, the belt, hwy6/1960,and grand parkway HOusotn is constantly growing. The periods I'd say are

The 1950s-60s period

1970s-80s

&the 1990s-00s period.

The ladder is coming to a climax now. This means there should be another building craze starting in about 4 years. What's beyond Sugarland,Katy,Clear Lake,Kingwood,CY-Fair,and The Woodlans is gonna start being developed.

Where did you come up with this Plastic, are you recalling from memory or did you look all this up ?

Clear Lake has continuosly being built up since the 60's, did you forget that NASA is down there ? Kingwood, throw it in with the 70's also. I know that for a fact, I was there ! Katy was the 80's and 90's, and a resurgence of masteplanned communities are cropping up once again. You think the Summit was built in the 80's ? Strange, I disticnctly remember going to the 1979 KIZZ tour at the Summit, because The Summit had been built in 1977.

The Heights wasn't the city's first non-downtown neighborhood -- Midtown was. It used to be full of mansions where the wealthy downtown bankers and such would go to seek refuge from the heat, filth, and stench that was a part of live in any town in the 1800's. There's a few mansion-looking buildings in the area, but I don't know if any of them go back that far.

The Heights wasn't the city's first non-downtown neighborhood -- Midtown was. It used to be full of mansions where the wealthy downtown bankers and such would go to seek refuge from the heat, filth, and stench that was a part of live in any town in the 1800's. There's a few mansion-looking buildings in the area, but I don't know if any of them go back that far.

yuppers, don't forget the sixth ward either (late 1800's) and I'm told westmorland area was pretty early as well.

Thats probably the most flawed and abbreviated "History of Houston" i have ever seen.

You have to consider the source Hwy.6 . I don't know if you are familiar with our dear Plastic, he is a mainstay of this forum, always good for a "WTF is that ?" kind of post or thread. :lol:

Guest Plastic

I said The SUmmit was in the 170-1990 period. It was built in 1975.

And yes Kingwood and Katy were there before the 90s but the didn't exponential groth til the late 80s/early 90s.

Technically Downtown was Houston's first neighborhood with The Allen Brothers. Yes the wards were in there but I was mentioning newer neighborhoods everybody was moving too in the 50s. The Heights did get mentioned.

The WOodlands was around in the 50s but it didn't start growing like and firecracker till 10-20 years ago.

Technically Downtown was Houston's first neighborhood with The Allen Brothers. Yes the wards were in there but I was mentioning newer neighborhoods everybody was moving too in the 50s. The Heights did get mentioned.

Your timeline is a bit off. More people were moving out of the Heights in the '50's. It had already begun it's post WWII decline by then.

Guest Plastic
Your timeline is a bit off. More people were moving out of the Heights in the '50's. It had already begun it's post WWII decline by then.

Well of course duh it was Houston's 1st neighborhood.

And I hate to do this to people.

Edited by Plastic

My guess for Quality Hill is 1860s. By the early 20th century those houses were already considered quite old.

Beauchamp Springs was already being advertised as a suburb in the 1870s.

Yep!

Here's a list of some (not all!) of the 19th century neighborhoods/towns and the approximate dates they were founded along with their general locations using today's maps (Wards excluded).

1. Frost Town (1822): Race and Rains streets, near Elysian. On the south banks of Buffalo Bayou.

2. Harrisburg (1826): West of Brady Island, near Manchester and Broadway.

3. Beauchamp Springs (1838): On the south banks of White Oak Bayou, near Houston Avenue.

4. Castanie Addition (1848): Likely near Fourth Ward, east of Montrose and west of the Pierce Elevated.

5. Seneschal Addition (1848): Near Smith and Bell, downtown.

6. Quality Hill (1850s): North of Congress Avenue, east of Main Street.

7. W.R. Baker Addition (1856): A line going from Sawyer and Buffalo Bayou to near Quitman and I-45.

8. Northside Buffalo Bayou Additions Platted (1860s): Across Buffalo Bayou, east of North Main.

9. A.C. Allen Addition (1860): Broad area where Quitman crosses I-45.

10. Pless Addition (1861): Narrow strip of land east of South Jensen on the south banks of Buffalo Bayou.

11. Oak Lawn (1863): Canal and Lockwood.

12. Freedmens Town (circa 1865): Fourth Ward

13. Chapmanville (1866): Broad area near Liberty Road and Staples Street.

14. Engelke Addition (1866): Near Settegast Park.

15. Factory Addition (1867): East of Pless Addition

16. Fairgrounds Addition (1889): Near Main and Elgin.

17. Brunner (1890): West of Shepherd near Washington Avenue and Westcott.

18 Denver (1891): Denver Harbor, south of Englewood Yard, north of I-10.

19. Houston Heights (1892): The Heights!

20. Fairview (1893): Near Taft and Fairview.

21. Magnolia Park (1893): Harrisburg, Navigation, 75th area.

22. Settegast-Upham (1897): East of Fairview.

23. Chew Addition (1898): West of Denver Harbor.

24. Sam Houston Park (1899): Duh!

This information came from the book "Houston's Forgotten Heritage."

Edited by gonzo1976

This is a common error, but Germantown was the NE quarter of the John Austin Survey. It was Platted out into blocks, but never really took off. The blocks were sold off, but not as origianally envisioned. I think some of the developers died of Yellow Fever. This would have pre-dated the Heights if it had been developed as originally intended. Luna Park (Houston Ave) Beachamp Springs (pronounced Beechum') and much of the Near Northside were in the Germantown block. Frostown was always known as Frostown
Here is the information I have. It may be a bit confusing, but I read it to say that Germantown later became Frostown.
The enterprising Allen brother, John K. and Augustus, realized that Texas was primed for development in 1836 (it was called land speculation back then). With the defeat of the Mexican Army and the rise of the Republic of Texas in April, 1836, the Allen's sought to develop a town on Buffalo Bayou which was the gateway to the heart of the Anglo settlements of Texas.

Having abandoned their attempts to purchase the burned town site of Harrisburg, the Allen's moved to a small community that had developed on high ground in a horseshoe curve of Buffalo Bayou about 1 mile below the junction of Buffalo Bayou and White Oak Bayou. From this community that was called Germantown because of the many Germans living there, the Allen brothers conceived the plan for a town named in honor the great Texian general Sam Houston and they negotiated the purchase of the land south of Buffalo Bayou around the junction of White Oak Bayou from Mrs. Elizabeth Parrott for $5,000.

As the town of Houston began to taken shape in the late 1830's and early 1840's, the community of Germantown continued to grow, too. Jonathan Frost purchased a large amount of the land in the area and brought his extended family to the area. The Frost family platted the area, established businesses and sold lots for home sites, and the community became known, then, as Frostown.

Frostown

Here is the information I have. It may be a bit confusing, but I read it to say that Germantown later became Frostown.

Frostown

I found the same here http://www.houstonhistory.com/erhnic/history1germ.htm. BUT, I read somewhere (can't find it again) that there was a separate Germantown in the area of what is now Stude Park (or White Oak Park).

Frostown

Now I know H2B hates it when I validate one of his posts [because I'm a mean old lefty ;) ] but I can tell you from personal experience about the two Germantowns. When my granddad-born 1893-was a boy living in the Heights, he and his sisters would hike to what he called New Germantown to fish and catch bullfrogs.

I asked him once why they called it "new" and he told me the story about Frostown. Apparently his mom knew people who lived in that area and would take he and his sisters on trips there. ["trips"-can you imagine calling a drive from your home to Harrisburg a "trip"?].

Yes, I'm old enough to have had a granparent born 113 years ago but not as old as my buddy H2B. :wub:

B)

Edited by nmainguy

Now I know H2B hates it when I validate one of his posts [because I'm a mean old lefty ;) ] but I can tell you from personal experience about the two Germantowns. When my granddad-born 1893-was a boy living in the Heights, he and his sisters would hike to what he called New Germantown to fish and catch bullfrogs.

I asked him once why they called it "new" and he told me the story about Frostown. Apparently his mom knew people who lived in that area and would take he and his sisters on trips there. ["trips"-can you imagine calling a drive from your home to Harrisburg a "trip"?].

Yes, I'm old enough to have had a granparent born 113 years ago but not as old as my buddy H2B. :wub:

B)

Don't feel so bad. I had a grandfather born 110 years ago, and he grew up in Hempstead and then after WW2 moved to Baytown and pretty much watched this whole place grow also.

It doesn't help matters when the Handbook of Texas Online uses Germantown to describe Frosttown (Frostown, Frost-Town or Frost Town).

From the book:

Between the late 1820s and the 1840s, Germans began settling in the area, and the settlement was called simultaneously Germantown and Frostown. BIBLIOGRAPHY: Marie Phelps McAshan, A Houston Legacy: On the Corner of Main and Texas (Houston: Gulf, 1985).

• 1 month later...

Although there were homes already built in the area, Greenspoint never really took off until the mid-70s when the mall opened, then other businesses, office buildings and North Belt sprung up over the next few years. The area continued to grow until turning ghetto almost overnight in the late 80s.