Can Houston Take Another Walmart

Guest Plastic

Guest Plastic

HOuston has just too many Walmarts. There's 2 just 3 miles form eachother where I am. If you drive through Houston you're bombarded by Eckard's <Walgreenss,CVSs,and Walmarts. What the hell is going on.

I say you have to go no more than 5 miles before you hit another Walmart. I can understand little cities in the country where they have nothing but Walmart, but why do we in the nationms 4th largest city where there's malls everywhere need so many damned Walmarts? I was riding down The Beltway the other day and behld, a new Walmart had popped up. WTF do we eat ,sleep,and live at Walmarts?

YOu must live out 288. There was supposed to be a Southbrook Mall at 288 and Almeda-Genoa........never happened.

At least we have Target to balance the Walamrts out, as long as we keep getting some inside the loop, it will keep Walmart away from with 6-10.

HOuston has just too many Walmarts. There's 2 just 3 miles form eachother where I am. If you drive through Houston you're bombarded by Eckard's <Walgreenss,CVSs,and Walmarts. What the hell is going on.

I say you have to go no more than 5 miles before you hit another Walmart. I can understand little cities in the country where they have nothing but Walmart, but why do we in the nationms 4th largest city where there's malls everywhere need so many damned Walmarts? I was riding down The Beltway the other day and behld, a new Walmart had popped up. WTF do we eat ,sleep,and live at Walmarts?

I notice that you live in "North Channel". If I had to guess, you're probably in the northwest nook of BW8 and I-10 around Uvalde/Woodforest, right? Lets just say this: the land prices and psychographics are in Wal-Mart's favor out there.

Guest Plastic
I notice that you live in "North Channel". If I had to guess, you're probably in the northwest nook of BW8 and I-10 around Uvalde/Woodforest, right? Lets just say this: the land prices and psychographics are in Wal-Mart's favor out there.

If you are referring to the rednecks or the new hoodrats we still outnumber them.

i do now....the walmart off of I-10 east is the ghetto walmart..it serves the people from Cloverleaf, the new Supercenter off of BW8 serves the good neghborhoods...there are walmart's up the ass in this city

Answer to threadstarter: No! Target is the Urbanite's department store, while Wal-Mart rhymes with Sprawl-Mart for all the relevant reasons. And if I have a choice between Target and Wal-Mart to buy music I know what I wouldn't choose if that store sold Edited versions of CDs. Nuff said.

Answer to threadstarter: No! Target is the Urbanite's department store, while Wal-Mart rhymes with Sprawl-Mart for all the relevant reasons. And if I have a choice between Target and Wal-Mart to buy music I know what I wouldn't choose if that store sold Edited versions of CDs. Nuff said.

Its not so much an urban vs. sprawl thing as it is a wealthy vs. poor thing. One is upmarket and the other is not. That's all.

Next thing you know they'll open up on Main St. :D

I wouldn't count on that unless you're willing to deal with losing four square city blocks and to an excessively large parking lot accomodating it. Not to mention permanently closed blocks of streets that won't be seen or passable again.

Its not so much an urban vs. sprawl thing as it is a wealthy vs. poor thing. One is upmarket and the other is not. That's all.

Not a single Sprawl-Mart is inside Loop 610. And that's a good thing.

http://www.walmart.com/cservice/ca_storefi...=7&%23=Find

At least you can live in the loop and go to one of three Target stores instead. :P

http://sites.target.com/site/en/spot/map.j...questid=4434200

Edited by DaTrain

As much as I hate to admit this, I would like for a Target or even Walmart to open closer to where I live. When the K-Mart on 18th/19th St and TC Jester closed down, we no longer have a discount stores in the immediate area. I have to drive down 290 to the closest ones.

When the K-Mart closed, I thought Walmart would be perfect for that spot. But no, we have a restaurant supply store that is NOT open to the public. That does me a ton of good. :huh:

I lived almost a year in Wharton. When Walmart came there a few years back it has made huge impact . Several of the downtown shops went out of business, or are headed that way now. Like the paint store, the hardware store, etc. But due to high sales, the powers that be are excited about the sales tax revenue. It's a catch 22.

And that's why I think walmart should stay in the subburbs. I totally believe that walmart pretty much turns the area into a merchant wasteland. Plus that and pressures it's suppliers to start manufactering overseas.

Walmart won't make an investment in areas where land costs are too high so I doubt us inner loops folks with get one. I won't shop there anyway so makes no differnce to me. But they definitely do hurt business for the smaller places.

1. the walmart at 10@Uvalde was one of the top 5 or 10 revenue producing wal-marts in the nation (from what i was told.)

2. All of the new developments along the beltway / 90 needed it's own.

I had a house in New Forest. I despies wal-mart (although i find it a necessary evil from time to time), and i'm glad i moved before the new one at wallisville/8 opened.

the walmart @ 290/Tidwell is becoming a super... i'm trying a way to get out of the 'evil necessity' that is wal-mart, because i don't want to have to try to navigate that flea market.

good thing i have a Target.

hell, i should just move... again...

Walmart won't make an investment in areas where land costs are too high so I doubt us inner loops folks with get one. I won't shop there anyway so makes no differnce to me. But they definitely do hurt business for the smaller places.

That's not necessarily true. The big problem is that they need really good access (i.e. corner of two major thoroughfares) and they need a lot of contiguous land. That can be hard to come by without painstakingly long land assemblage endeavors.

Still, they'd make a killing if they put one in 5th Ward, Near Northside, or East End. The Hispanic populations in particular have a preference for Wal-Mart over Target and are willing to drive great distances to access the ones on East, North, or Northwest Freeways.

• The title was changed to Can Houston Take Another Walmart