Does anyone know a lot about antique furniture?

KimberlySayWhat

I bought this credenza last week at a garage sale. The woman working at the garbage sale said that it was her husband's before they married and said that it's probably from the 50's. I thought that looked about right, but now I'm thinking it could possibly be 70's. I can't place it. Something about the hardware and the top surface. I don't know much about it. It doesn't help that I couldn't find a serial number.

Do any of you know so much about antique furniture that you could give me an idea just by looking at these pictures?:

F1.jpg

F2.jpg

F3.jpg

Thank ya, thankyaveramuch.

50's Modernist, the brass at the bottom is a bit of a tale tell. Not sure of the maker, there were alot back then, but it must be a decent one to have lasted this long. Have you taken out all the drawers and looked inside ? Underneath the top there should be a stencil or a stapled or glued piece of paper with the name of manufacturer.

Edited by TJones

Underneath the top? How can I possibly get to that. Would do you mean? I looked all through the drawers and the back.

You are gonna have to take those drawers out, and a flashlight.

Edited by TJones

I slid the top center drawer out and looked with a flashlight and didn't see anything.

As for the two ends, you see those sliding things? When I pull them up, they cover the bottom of the surface. It will be like trying to watch the light go out when you close the refrigerator door. It can't be done.

Oh well, it wasn't an investment buy. I just happened to like it, so I guess it really doesn't matter that much.

Now I have to find a mod lamp, either retro or vintage, to go on top.

Thanks!

I slid the top center drawer out and looked with a flashlight and didn't see anything.

As for the two ends, you see those sliding things? When I pull them up, they cover the bottom of the surface. It will be like trying to watch the light go out when you close the refrigerator door. It can't be done.

Oh well, it wasn't an investment buy. I just happened to like it, so I guess it really doesn't matter that much.

Now I have to find a mod lamp, either retro or vintage, to go on top.

Thanks!

There is a great place on Bissonet by Kirby. UGH ! the name escapes me. It is on the right hand side as you travel east, just past Mission Burritos I think.

Thanks, TJones!

I actually have an old lamp that belonged to my grandma, but it's turquoise. I'm kind of in limbo right now until I repaint those purple walls. I'm always so wishy-washy about what I want when it comes to things like that.

I agree with TJones on the date. I have my Dads Kohler sectional with original upholstery. He bought his in 1958. The legs could be the ones on you piece if they were blond. THe tambour doors are great. Id go for it and put the lamp on the piece anyway.

I didn't know that something has to be 100 years old to be considered antique.

Anyway, I meant no offense. ;)

What's it made of? Is it wood? Or plywood covered with veneer or a laminate? You can tell by looking at the back of the unit, or taking out one of the drawers and looking at the inside. If it's plywood it's worth about what you paid for it. Particle board hadn't been invented in the 50s.

If it's real wood, even though it's not an "antique" yet, it's worth a few dollars more than a plywood credenza, and a good refinishing would make it look good and give your room a funky 1950s "retro" look. If you're into that sort of thing.