Edward Simms Mansion At 900 South Wayside Dr.

isuredid

On Saturday, July 28, 2012 at 2:07 PM, RobNPhx said:

Does anyone have any knowledge of what may have been an old Southern plantation, or a very old plantation-like home, that once occupied the area just south of the intersection of Polk and Wayside? I grew up just west of that area (Jefferson and Henninger) and seem to recall at least one old and dilapidated stucture, covered by dense foliage and surrounded by several really old trees, back in that general area. Back in those days (mid 60's) I would ride my bike all along the railroad tracks, from Jefferson up to Polk, then scoot over to that area around Wayside. It was maybe some time between '64 and '67 that I discovered the place.

I distinctly remember thinking that the place seemed kind of spooky and that I probably shouldn't be there, but my natural curiosity always got the best of me, so I kept going back until I either lost interest or forgot about it. One thing that really stood out about the place, aside from it's creepy feeling, was the row of shanty-style houses that occupied the lot. If memory serves me well, I think there was a manor home, as well. At least it looked to my young eyes like a smallish Southern plantation-style manor home. What I considered back then, and still do this day, was that the place had once been either a prominent manor house with multiple guest quarters, or it was a slave plantation, or both.

Now I admit that my memory may be somewhat clouded, or perhaps even totally off-track, but from time to time I have such vivid dreams of that place that I will wake up and think "Wow! Why do I keep thinking of that place after all these years?"

If anyone has any information, I would love to hear about it--one way or another. Thanks.\

I realize I'm rather late responding to this post.  If memory is correct, the old plantation style home was located that is now an elementary school on Wayside between Polk & Lawndale by Country Club Estates.  I have read the story of the old home, but forgotten.  This home was destroyed ca. late 1980s to make way for the school & I think some apartments.  Another platation style home is located across Wayside in back of the gold course & very near the original part of the cemetery.  I think it was sold ca. 2000? & is still standing.  I stopped to take picture of it one day & an elderly lady came out of the house & did give the impression she was pleased with my interest in the house:).  I'd love to know the story of that plantation style house.  Oh, yes!  It overlooked the bayou!  I'm wondering if a ship captain family may have built it?  Anyone with any knowledge, please share so we can learn more about these houses which are a rich part of the Harrisburg/EE history.  OldHouseLover

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

OldHouseLover, I think the second house is the one located in Forest Hill, on Pasadena St. It's still standing, overlooking  the bayou, and faces a NE direction. It's also near the old section of Forest park cemetery. We have talked about it quite a bit on this forum. It was originally built by a person associated with the railroads. And btw, the original main entrance to the Forest Hill neighborhood was off of Harrisburg Blvd. 

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Messing around the other day and wondering whatever happened to the old fraternity house I lived in when I was attending UH back in the early '80's and ran across this site.  I lived in the old Simms Estate house for a couple of years.  Absolutely beautiful house, thick stucco walls, big spiral staircase, hardwood floors, big front yard with lots of big trees. My room was on the second floor to the left side in front above the great room.   I remember the "pool" in the back.  It had gone pretty feral by the time I was there.  I think there were turtles and frogs swimming around in it.  I also remember the round silo in the back.  I was never quite sure what that was.  Maybe a grain and food storage building.  The house was located between the church to the north and the apartments to the south on the west side of Wayside Drive across from Gus Wortham Golf Course.  Evidently photos of this house are few and far between but I found one in my fraternity's directory from 1980.  I know we rented it from someone but I don't know who that was.  I was told that after we left the house, it remained vacant for a number of years until some squatters started a fire in it and burned it to the ground.  It is a real shame, that house and the grounds it was on were a real treasure.  I probably didn't appreciate it then, but now almost forty years later I sure do.

.SimmsEstate.jpg.40bd0ceb118c7e4261ab0a8b763a970b.jpg

• Like 3

Awesome photo you discovered there Tejano. This was propoably one of the outer structures on the propoerty and not the main Simms house, as the main house was a larger plantation style home, which was 3 stories. I know this because a group of us high schoolers were in it one night in 1970 or possibly 1971. It was empty and pretty trashed out at that time. We were coming down from the third floor when a group of guys (probably east enders) cornered us and wouldn't let us by. They were acting kind of bullyish toward us until the girls in our group shamed them into letting us by.

Gotta love those hippie girls.

Could be Plumber, I think the original Simms tract was much larger than what this house sat on in 1980.  Probably stretched down to Lawndale and farther east and north.  This house was actually in fairly decent shape...decent enough for a bunch of frat boys anyway.  But it was livable.  A little research on Edward Simms revealed he became very wealthy at Spindletop Field near Beaumont and Goose Creek Field near Baytown.  Had a few monster gusher oil wells come in.  He went back to his home in Kentucky and raised race horses.  Interesting fellow.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

Several years ago I used to manage the Royal Wayside Apts. And right next to them was a large property that was also owned by the owner of the apartments Mr Boling. It had a somewhat small, but still a mansion on it. He allowed me to live in there just for a couple of months. It was very old but I loved it. It had really nice wooded floors and a ballroom and a library in there. It was torn down. Just wandering if this was part of this plantation your speaking about. 

• Like 1

• The title was changed to 2