Local news, international coverage?

ricco67

One of my biggest pet peeves with KPRC is when they advertised "local news first" they would show news from anywhere BUT Houston for the first couple of minutes.

While I agree the conflict in the middle east is a major issue, I believe this should be carried on the national news and only offer a blip of information if there is relevent information for contacting loved ones that may be be there.

But they also seem to show things internationally which may only be a passing interest to only a few people.

When I'm watching KPRC, KTRK, or any other locally based news source, by darnit, I want to know what's going on in the city.

Was there a shooting nearby?

Is there a major accident shutting down the freeway?

A major fire affecting a business?

What is it the deal with the local news? Are they THAT bored here?

...news for dummies.

Aside from The Economist, WSJ, FT, and C-SPAN, is there a news source that isn't dumbed down to the lowest common denominator?

Almost every morning, as I'm getting ready to go to work, I try watching some amount of MSNBC's coverage of financial markets...but they do such a pitiful job that by the time I step outside the door, I've usually switched to C-SPAN (on which politicians are often sounding just as shallow as televised news, but at least they theoretically matter). I'm becoming increasingly frustrated with these and radio-based news outlets that I can listen to passively.

One of my biggest pet peeves with KPRC is when they advertised "local news first" they would show news from anywhere BUT Houston for the first couple of minutes.

While I agree the conflict in the middle east is a major issue, I believe this should be carried on the national news and only offer a blip of information if there is relevent information for contacting loved ones that may be be there.

But they also seem to show things internationally which may only be a passing interest to only a few people.

When I'm watching KPRC, KTRK, or any other locally based news source, by darnit, I want to know what's going on in the city.

Was there a shooting nearby?

Is there a major accident shutting down the freeway?

A major fire affecting a business?

What is it the deal with the local news? Are they THAT bored here?

i am not a big local news watcher, but i really like fox local news. they tend to cover more things and more things well.

I for one don't mind the world news coverage. It's kind of refreshing to see a local news cast where the top story is something significant and impactful, as opposed to a car accident, or a murder or a house fire. I will agree that they go a bit overboard on the story just as with any story they do, what with all the "live team coverage". I love it when they have "live team coverage" for a thunderstorm....then you know it's a slow news day.

I am a pretty big news junkie and so I'm pretty up on news events around the world but I know there are alot of people who only get their news from the 6 or 10pm local newscasts so I think it's nice that they are providing coverage of such an important story.

After being in Kentucky for too long, the news here is actually about something. WKYT was the worst. Always with the technical glitches that made you think their interns were running the place and national news took up about 15 minutes of the hour-long newscast. The rest of it involved the major accident on the interstate, the new store that's opened up in Hamburg and what the local rednecks think of it, the Miss Kentucky Pagaent, and last, but certainly not least, the local festival that will be held this weekend in Florence/Berea/Nicholasville/Winchester. And that concludes the hour long newscast.

Bo-Ring. So, I for one, could care less that they cover world news, because it's been so long since I've heard any real news.

If you want the real national/international news, check out the NewsHour with Jim Lehrer. It's the most in-depth, unbiased source for news around. The show's producers can afford to give the news to you straight because there really are no corporate sponsors to please. It airs locally on KUHT / Channel 8 (PBS), from 5:30 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. You'll really increase your knowledge and understanding of national, and international affairs, just by watching this program 5 times a week.

IMO, 'local news' programs seem to be an American thing. In every other place I have been, it is all about world events and, if there is time, they will discuss something local such as the weather and traffic (though that is usually saved for the morning shows).

Sadly, I do know people who love to watchy the local news and think that this gets them caught up on current events--which I see as more of a sad commentary on just how little we care about events that don't directly affect our lives.

Local news could be good. I used to like "Live at Five" with Ron Stone and Doug Johnson.

Of couse I was in High School back then.

But local news should be the fun side of what's happening. Throw in some serious stuff, but please omit the morning body counts from Cantina Loca.

If you watch one local newscast during the day, you've pretty much seen all the news you're going to get for the rest of the day. Jeez, if I miss the 11 a.m. newscast, I can catch one at noon, 12:30, 3 p.m, 4 p.m., 5 p.m., 6 p.m., 9 p.m. or 10 p.m. <_<

The point of it is te fact that I want to know something locally, if I want world news, I'll see ABCNews, CNN, Fox, or the web.

I'd like to know local news about SOMETHING interesting around town, be it about a festival, or some new business coming to town.

I'm not saying that the local news is all I need to be on top of current events, but it has a place. It's place is to be local.

Last night, I was watching either KTRK or KPRC and the Mideast conflict took up a good 10 minutes before anything local was mentioned. The thing that REALLY hacked me off, with all this coverage, didn't even put up anything relevent on embassy information for loved ones that might be in that mess.