New-Ish East Ender Needs Help

Hello everyone,

I'm looking for a cheap garage apartment or other rental in Eastwood, Broadmoor, etc. ASAP.

Am currently remodeling a bungalow in Eastwood and cannot occupy until we make considerable headway.

Don't need luxury accomodations - just utilities, a roof, and enough space to house myself, my fiance, and our 3 felines. We are quiet, employed, and will most likely only be around to sleep and eat.

Budget for rent is $300-$400 & prefer month-to-month; we're totally DIY on the remodel, so we'll probably need to rent for @ least 6 months.

Close proximity to Lockwood/McKinney is ideal, though anything in the greater East End will be better than our current commute from SE Beltway...

We have a few contenders but are trying as many avenues as possible.

Many thanks in advance!!!

Hello everyone,

I'm looking for a cheap garage apartment or other rental in Eastwood, Broadmoor, etc. ASAP.

Am currently remodeling a bungalow in Eastwood and cannot occupy until we make considerable headway.

Don't need luxury accomodations - just utilities, a roof, and enough space to house myself, my fiance, and our 3 felines. We are quiet, employed, and will most likely only be around to sleep and eat.

Budget for rent is $300-$400 & prefer month-to-month; we're totally DIY on the remodel, so we'll probably need to rent for @ least 6 months.

Close proximity to Lockwood/McKinney is ideal, though anything in the greater East End will be better than our current commute from SE Beltway...

If the previous owner hadn't pissed off some vagrants, I'd have one ready for you as of next week...but alas, they torched it years ago. I'm sure you'll be able to track one down, though.

Incidentally, I'll be doing the same (but probably a bit more intensive of job) on a home within about 1/4 mile walking distance of you. We'll have to get together and compare notes sometime.

Guest danax

Check out, I think it's, 1019 Claxton St. in Pecan Park. There's an upstairs unit (2 unit garage apt.) that might work for you. It's about 10 minutes to Eastwood. The For Rent sign was still out front yesterday. It's near Griggs and Evergreen, one block west of Evergreen and just south of Griggs.

• 4 weeks later...

OHL: will keep my eye out for potential buyers/renters for you - I am a tireless advocate of the 'hood and am always encouraging friends/family/etc. to consider the East End...

Danax: belated thanks for the Pecan Park suggestion. That area is really cool, but a bit further out than we are considering at this time.

Niche: would love to compare projects (and associated headaches!) sometime. Looks like we're finally getting a coffee shop over in the Kanomwan shopping ctr. @ lockwood/telephone, so gimme a holler if & when you wanna chat...

BTW - still looking! Thanks, everyone!

Niche: would love to compare projects (and associated headaches!) sometime. Looks like we're finally getting a coffee shop over in the Kanomwan shopping ctr. @ lockwood/telephone, so gimme a holler if & when you wanna chat...

I was not aware of that! Thank you for the heads up.

I'm still pending, waiting for City liens to be released. The seller is going to have to demolish a concrete slab and cap plumbing...good news for me because I otherwise would've had to have done that. But I'll let you know when all's ready. I look forward to our eventual meeting.

Amoxill,

Welcome to the East Side, your making a very smart investment on this forgotten side of town. When you and Niche get together send me a note so I can join you two. My wife and I have owned a few homes over here and fixed/flipped two of them. Our present home is waiting upon some decluttering, landscaping, nice switchplate covers, and then I think we are done and most likely will put for sale. If you know anyone looking for a home that is fixed up really nice actually restored in keeping with the period then please refer. I would be happy to give a referral fee if I could escape from listing the home and having to go through numerous showings!!!

Thanks and good luck,

Scharpe St Guy

OHL: will keep my eye out for potential buyers/renters for you - I am a tireless advocate of the 'hood and am always encouraging friends/family/etc. to consider the East End...

Danax: belated thanks for the Pecan Park suggestion. That area is really cool, but a bit further out than we are considering at this time.

• 3 weeks later...
Hello everyone,

Did you ever find a place? If so is it near Telephone and Lawndale? Got some new neighbors that dont fit in the normal demographics for my neighborhhod.

WoW, Gringo's Movin On Up To The East Side.

I don't have the German wheels but I wonder if that is what my neighbors thought when I moved in!!! When the dog came into the picture it had a collar, two bowls, and frequent trips to the vet as well. Might as well be a kid if you ask me!!

Scharpe St Guy

oh ya with a Mercedes, a pickup without a loud exhaust, and dogs with collars

... not us! no merc and no dogs. no luck w/the search + we have pretty much decided to bite the bullet and continue with our commute drudgery for the immediate future. moo. i would agree - the 77023/011 demographic is shifting...

...our neighbors don't quite know what to think of us, either, BTW...

... not us! no merc and no dogs. no luck w/the search + we have pretty much decided to bite the bullet and continue with our commute drudgery for the immediate future. moo. i would agree - the 77023/011 demographic is shifting...

...our neighbors don't quite know what to think of us, either, BTW...

Well, at first my East End neighbors didn't know what to think of me, but in the relatively short time I've been here they've become more friendly. Whenever I'm outside they always come over to say hello. It seems that we all have similar concerns - improving the quality of the neighborhood, finding good places locally to shop for goods and services, etc.

Some nice surprises in my neighborhood: the Austin HS marching band practicing for parades on my street; Constable Trevino's annual Neighborhood Night Out party with catered barbecue and really good mariachis; paying the local vet only 7 bucks to trim my dog's nails (it was $15 in Bellaire).

Silverartfox,

Where in Broadmoor do you reside? The Austin HS band comes down our street as well, quite a show if you ask me! My wife and I went to Victor Trevino's shindig this year. Pretty good food for the cost!

All the best,

Scharpe St Guy

Well, at first my East End neighbors didn't know what to think of me, but in the relatively short time I've been here they've become more friendly. Whenever I'm outside they always come over to say hello. It seems that we all have similar concerns - improving the quality of the neighborhood, finding good places locally to shop for goods and services, etc.

Some nice surprises in my neighborhood: the Austin HS marching band practicing for parades on my street; Constable Trevino's annual Neighborhood Night Out party with catered barbecue and really good mariachis; paying the local vet only 7 bucks to trim my dog's nails (it was $15 in Bellaire).

Broadmoor the main street that runs North-East by South-West crossing over Lombardy, Scharpe, Munger, Godwin, Lawson, Pearson, and Elliot and that is the best you provide?

Where in Houston do you live? East Houston

Where in the United States do you live? West of the Mississippi

Sad and here I have been telling everyone that our neighborhood was up coming and had great neighbors.

Scharpe St Guy

East of Broadmoor St.

Broadmoor the main street that runs North-East by South-West crossing over Lombardy, Scharpe, Munger, Godwin, Lawson, Pearson, and Elliot and that is the best you provide?

Where in Houston do you live? East Houston

Where in the United States do you live? West of the Mississippi

Sad and here I have been telling everyone that our neighborhood was up coming and had great neighbors.

Scharpe St Guy

LOL be nice, he's only been there a "relatively short time" so he may not know what street he lives on yet.

Yes I did feel bad about it but my gosh such a vague answer. I looked up which house it is but I won't OUT the 1524Fox.

Scharpe St Guy

Thanks! Safety and privacy are invaluable. Once personal information gets on the Internet, they're gone for good.

Do you ever attend the Eastwood Civic Association meetings? This organization claims to represent a number of neighborhoods adjacent to Eastwood proper, including Broadmoor. However, it seems that very few Broadmoor residents participate.

Thanks! Safety and privacy are invaluable. Once personal information gets on the Internet, they're gone for good.

I'm with you on that. Say one thing the wrong person disagrees with and then you become a potential sitting duck. Anonymity allows for a more uninhibited forum. I can't recall anyone giving out their address here. PM is the more discreet method.

I also agree that civic clubs in transitional areas are usually not well attended. The more the East End gets "gentrified" the more active they'll be, I'm guessing.

I also agree that civic clubs in transitional areas are usually not well attended. The more the East End gets "gentrified" the more active they'll be, I'm guessing.

Yep. I look forward to the day that residents of Eastwood get uppity enough to adopt "civility" ordinances like Downtown, Midtown, and Hyde Park. [$$Cha-ching$$]

Before you know it, even Central Park and Magnolia Park will form their own civic club(s) and put an end to roosters being allowed to roam the streets. Yes, I've seen this with my own eyes...the downtown skyline was in the background. It was an amazing juxtaposition.

Yep. I look forward to the day that residents of Eastwood get uppity enough to adopt "civility" ordinances like Downtown, Midtown, and Hyde Park. [$$Cha-ching$$]

Before you know it, even Central Park and Magnolia Park will form their own civic club(s) and put an end to roosters being allowed to roam the streets. Yes, I've seen this with my own eyes...the downtown skyline was in the background. It was an amazing juxtaposition.

The civic clubs over here haven't gotten too uppity yet. Mine deals with the usual ugliness issues; heavy trash in the street whenever they feel like it, trees getting hideously pruned or chopped down (we talk about that but nothing can really be done unless they're street trees in the city ROW.....and then we're too late usually), garage sales that are really weekend businesses selling everything from large, new furniture items (one lady pleaded that her husband was in jail) to crappy plastic toys, and home-based businesses (we're not talking Avon either).

Yes, I suppose we'll miss the strange juxtapositions once cleansing has taken place. For the time being though, the free-range pit bulls usually take care of the roosters over where I live (actually happened 2 doors down, feathers everywhere). It's beautiful to see the natural order still active in the city in a sort of an urban Discovery Channel kind of way.

We have gone to the civic club in the past however not in a long time. I was checking out the web site just recently and there have been no updates or new newsletters added unless they did it in the last few days or so.

Question is how do we get the city to replace all of our sidewalks here in Broadmoor. They are a few steps beyond horrible and pretty much unusable. I see a very high percentage of walkers using the street rather then then the sidewalk.

Scharpe St Guy

ps. I live on Scharpe St ;-)

[\quote]Before you know it, even Central Park and Magnolia Park will form their own civic club(s) and put an end to roosters being allowed to roam the streets. Yes, I've seen this with my own eyes...the downtown skyline was in the background. It was an amazing juxtaposition.

That's a neat idea for a painting!

Some neighbors on the street behind me have a rooster and a few hens in their back yard. I figured that I wouldn't say anything unless the killer bird flu comes to Texas.

Keeping farm animals in the city is a fact of life in Houston. Just last week I was waiting for the traffic signal at Bissonnet and Greenbriar and saw a bantam hen pecking in the grass next to the sidewalk. It isn't unusual to see horses and riders on the Beechnut esplanade near Stella Link. And then there's the Southampton family whose kids walked their cute piglet through the neighborhood until it became a huge adult and the neighbors complained.

you don't have to go that far east to find roosters.....

Some neighbors on the street behind me have a rooster and a few hens in their back yard. I figured that I wouldn't say anything unless the killer bird flu comes to Texas.

Keeping farm animals in the city is a fact of life in Houston. Just last week I was waiting for the traffic signal at Bissonnet and Greenbriar and saw a bantam hen pecking in the grass next to the sidewalk. It isn't unusual to see horses and riders on the Beechnut esplanade near Stella Link. And then there's the Southampton family whose kids walked their cute piglet through the neighborhood until it became a huge adult and the neighbors complained.

See I told you! LOL

Question is how do we get the city to replace all of our sidewalks here in Broadmoor. They are a few steps beyond horrible and pretty much unusable. I see a very high percentage of walkers using the street rather then then the sidewalk.

Scharpe St Guy

You need to get on the Dist I capital improvement program (CIP). Basically if you have a good civic club, you can get on the list approximately every 7 yrs. In my old neighborhood we were able to get street lights, and get the streets retopped at no cost. It is all how well your neighborhood gets along with your councilmember.

the other not so pleasant way is to petition for them but you and your neighbors will be paying for them.

SSG, is that west or east of Broadmoor? LOL

Edited by musicman

• 4 months later...
We have gone to the civic club in the past however not in a long time. I was checking out the web site just recently and there have been no updates or new newsletters added unless they did it in the last few days or so.

Scharpe St Guy

SIDEWALKS

Seems as if newcomers see them as out of vogue at least in the Broadmoor streets. I wonder what kind of mother would push her baby carriage in the middle of the street especially at the height of rush hour? may as well push it into Dumble street like a bowling ball! I know the sidewalks need to be replaced and we fought like hell to get our 200 yards put in a year go, but who in thier right mind would be so insane? You can also see tots/elderly people walking in the middle of the street and normally around a blind curve! Not to change subjects but all the lousy China Berry trees in this area are all collapsing from rotting and termite infestation. Those blasted things were planted back when no one knew better. Old timers call em crap trees to put it nicely. That is what has eroded the sidewalks & driveways years ago. 1400 Munger was like a roller coaster for us as we rode our bikes. Was fun as a kid but not as an adult. My elderly neighbor nearly split her head open one evening when she was polite enough to give us our mail the delivery man gave her by mistake. I still feel bad about it. Had the sidewalk been decent it wouldnt have happended. Wish everyone would ban together and call 311 they will cut them down for FREE.

We need a Quannel X kind of leader maybe? what about Scharpe St Guy X?