"Weird U.S." on the History Channel

There's a series running on the History Channel called "Weird U.S."

These two guys travel around the country looking for roadside oddities and things.

I watched an episode last night that featured the Orange Show in one of its segments. The man who built it, whether he was serious or not, once said that it would be bigger and more popular than the Astrodome and Disneyland.

David Adickes' Sam Houston statue in Huntsville got a nod as well.

I have never been to the Orange Show, but am I the only one who gets an eerie vibe about it for some reason?

Maybe I found it eeire because it was being showcased on a show called "Weird U.S." complete with weird music. Or maybe because when you think oddball Houston, you tend to lump the Orange Show in with the Funeral Museum. I don't know. I don't want to say I was disturbed, but it made me a little bit uncomfortable. It's definitely chaotic and disorienting.

Maybe I found it eeire because it was being showcased on a show called "Weird U.S." complete with weird music. Or maybe because when you think oddball Houston, you tend to lump the Orange Show in with the Funeral Museum. I don't know. I don't want to say I was disturbed, but it made me a little bit uncomfortable. It's definitely chaotic and disorienting.

i kind of get the eerie thing now - like along the lines of an abandoned playground gone awry

There is a "companion book" called "Weird Texas" that lists these sites, plus haunted places etc. Just the gift for that person who has everything. ^_^

The Orange Show is funny to me, just because of the contrast it makes with the nice little houses on the street. Less so now that it has the neighboring rocket-house.

Archived