Westbury Flood Insurance

Akela

Hello Everybody,

I am buying a house in Westbury, closing next week. The house is not in the 100-year flood plain, but I am a bit worried about not getting flood insurance for it. What's your opinion -- will it flood when we least expect it, or should we be OK without flood insurance?

Thanks a lot,

Akela

Hello Everybody,

I am buying a house in Westbury, closing next week. The house is not in the 100-year flood plain, but I am a bit worried about not getting flood insurance for it. What's your opinion -- will it flood when we least expect it, or should we be OK without flood insurance?

Thanks a lot,

Akela

Judge for yourself: maps.tsarp.org

Edited by jm1fd

You will be happy you did.

He will be happy if it actually floods. Otherwise, he will unhappy that he spent the money.

Not knowing anything about the specific location, you need to size up the situation

Has the property flooded before?

Is the property near a bayou which could overflow?

Does the house sit high relative to the street?

Is there a storm sewer right in front of your house, or is it down the street?

What do the neighbors say about how often the street floods?

Are you near the high end of a watershed, or near a downstream location where water collects? (online map should help with this)

Do you have financial strength to sustain damage without insurance?

I'm not a homeowner at this time, but I don't insure anything (except for state required auto liability and a health plan with a $10,000 deductible) because my risk is low and and I can afford the loss of my car or a $10,000 deductible. Of course, a house is a lot to lose but you may have financial strength for repairs. It's a question of how much risk there is on the property, and your ability to absorb the cost of a highly unlikely event if it occurs.

The site below has info on the Fair Texas Flood Plan

I paid $126 for $20K coverage for the 2006-2007 year with a $1000 deductable.

TPI

We've got $280,000 of coverage ($200,000 structure and $80,000 contents) for $296/year. It's probably more than we need for the structure, but better safe than sorry. The next lower coverage ($150,000/$60,000) would save us $30/year.

My wife's family has 60 years of experience in our home, and it's never flooded in those 60 years. Even in TS Allison, the water only made it up to the door (but not inside)...and we've raised the house by 0.5 ft - 1 ft since then. That being said, we still got the insurance. You never know when the next big one is coming. It could happen this weekend for all we know!

We've got $280,000 of coverage ($200,000 structure and $80,000 contents) for $296/year. It's probably more than we need for the structure, but better safe than sorry. The next lower coverage ($150,000/$60,000) would save us $30/year.

My wife's family has 60 years of experience in our home, and it's never flooded in those 60 years. Even in TS Allison, the water only made it up to the door (but not inside)...and we've raised the house by 0.5 ft - 1 ft since then. That being said, we still got the insurance. You never know when the next big one is coming. It could happen this weekend for all we know!

This is what I'm thinking, too... The area has not flooded in a hundred years, so the possibility is remote. So we are leaning towards getting the insurance just to be on the safe side, anyway. Thanks to everybody for your advice, folks!

Edited by Akela

Get the flood insurance!!! It will let you watch in awe of the storms as they roll in and remain pretty relaxed knowing that you are covered. Of course make sure your non-replacables are up high or in a sealed container of some sort!

Now it is my understanding that the flood insurance will also cover you even without a flood in the area. Say for instance a section of the roof comes off or a tree punctures the roof during a moderate rain storm. You would get wet/flooded and the house would be damaged along with possessions. I believe that the flood insurance would then cover you while the Home Owners would not unless you have a rider for that.

Can anyone confirm/deny???

Scharpe St Guy

This is what I'm thinking, too... The area has not flooded in a hundred years, so the possibility is remote. So we are leaning towards getting the insurance just to be on the safe side, anyway. Thanks to everybody for your advice, folks!

Now it is my understanding that the flood insurance will also cover you even without a flood in the area. Say for instance a section of the roof comes off or a tree punctures the roof during a moderate rain storm. You would get wet/flooded and the house would be damaged along with possessions. I believe that the flood insurance would then cover you while the Home Owners would not unless you have a rider for that.

Can anyone confirm/deny???

Scharpe St Guy

I would have to disagree. my agent told me that flood would be rising water only. your regular home owners insurance should cover the case for the fallen tree onto the roof.

• 3 weeks later...