East End BRT

This is disappointing that there will not be lines to Eastwood or Magnolia TC's, but something is better than nothing. It seems that Metro changes its minds and plans so quickly I would put it past them to go ahead and build an overpass. I'm sure once more find out the will be pressured to complete this.

As it stands, the line would still serve the northern parts of Eastwood (although, to be fair, parts of Eastwood south of Polk St. are better served by the Southeast Line) but not serve Central Park or Magnolia Park.

But I agree that in one form or another, whether for better or for worse, what is planned is likely to change.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well at least it seems to be up for discussion. So why not make it an underpass? Is it significantly more expensive than an overpass? I'm thinking something along the lines of that little underpass near where Studemont turns into Montrose south of I 10.

Well at least it seems to be up for discussion. So why not make it an underpass?
for METRO's LRT, it comes down to money. METRO LRT bosses need to be committed to making improvements in the system to decrease travel times without affecting those who already use the same corridor(s). this next phase of the LRT will be critical. it is going through neighborhoods and will affect local area drivers on a daily basis. causing delays at traffic lights, inability to cross certain intersections, closing roads, etc will not be a good thing when public support is what you're striving for.

Well at least it seems to be up for discussion. So why not make it an underpass? Is it significantly more expensive than an overpass? I'm thinking something along the lines of that little underpass near where Studemont turns into Montrose south of I 10.

As I recall, the cost:rider ratio was already thin enough that they weren't going to submit this line for FTA funding. Underpasses are significantly more expensive than overpasses and one would probably kill the viability of this route from a cost standpoint (if the overpass even remains viable in the first place). And not connecting to the Magnolia TC probably kills it from a ridership standpoint.

They really shot themselves in the foot on this one.

How much more significant is the cost, exactly? I think enough people realize how important it is to get to the Magnolia TC -- they will want to get the line connected no matter the cost. Even if there is no FTA funding for this particular line I would hate for a few million dollars (spent on an underpass, minus the cost of the right of way that they would not have to purchase from the railroad) to be the total dealbreaker.

How much more significant is the cost, exactly? I think enough people realize how important it is to get to the Magnolia TC -- they will want to get the line connected no matter the cost. Even if there is no FTA funding for this particular line I would hate for a few million dollars (spent on an underpass, minus the cost of the right of way that they would not have to purchase from the railroad) to be the total dealbreaker.

I don't know exactly what the cost difference is, but do bear in mind that one way or another, their ROW takings along Harrisburg will be deeper because they're going to have to accomodate access roads to properties that would otherwise become landlocked. Just east of the tracks are buildings that come right up to the street, so it isn't just land but also improvements that would have to be taken and demolished.

Also, I'm not sure that METRO would have to have paid UP for their ROW in the first place.

Archived