Where the hell is this house(s)?

ToolMan

"http://www.adventproperties.us/HomeDetails.aspx?Action=PAGE&Ord=16&Id=6399943&sId=f66a908a-246f-4f99-9b4c-f36768884fde" (you have to copy and paste without the quotes because the link won't work).

Obviously the map is wrong because this would put it in the middle of downtown. I also checked the MLS# on har.com with no results?

Do any of you realtors have any idea?

Edited by ToolMan

I couldn't get the link to work, but I think you are talking about those Urban living listings. I am pretty sure I found the ones you are talking about. They are over there sort of by Frankel's costume place, off Polk. Between G.R. Brown & Eastwood.

They have the "arched" windows and are stucco?

Stange...it used to work, but I think you may be correct. These seem to be priced pretty reasonably so I may have to check these out. There isn't much there now, but who knows what it could be like after a few years? I mean...look at the pretty trees and the nice wooden fence!!

This is the address listed on the site:

915 Mckinney Park

Houston, TX 77002

Mls Number - 6399943

http://www.adventproperties.us

lr6399943-0.jpg

Edited by ToolMan

Yes, those are Urban Living homes. They're ok. My husband and I went to check them out, and I must warn you:

They back up to the railroad. Literally. It's the same way with the UL houses on Bonner St. but closer, if that's possible. I would gauge about 6 feet between the house and the still-active tracks. Great, if you're never there when the train comes through. :D

I agree with you RPS. The thing is...I am spoiled with walking to work right now while living downtown, and I don't like the rates for the downtown lofts. These just seemed a little closer, but it wouldn't make that much of a difference.

I think I will take a drive through Eastwood this weekend and check out the subdivision. Are there a lot of repairs with older houses?

Thanks for the note about the RR Kirzania.

I agree with you RPS. The thing is...I am spoiled with walking to work right now while living downtown, and I don't like the rates for the downtown lofts. These just seemed a little closer, but it wouldn't make that much of a difference.

I think I will take a drive through Eastwood this weekend and check out the subdivision. Are there a lot of repairs with older houses?

Thanks for the note about the RR Kirzania.

There are a lot of repairs with any house, old or new. Anybody that owns a house knows, there is ALWAYS something. Personally I trust the construction of older houses but that is just my opinion. One of the homes I owned in 6th ward was built in 1862. All the "systems" had been redone, electrical, plumbing, roof, HVAC, etc. I had it for five years and the biggest problem I had was replacing a little bit of rotten wood here and there when I had it repainted. It was NOT any kind of maintenance nightmare. I don't think older house = lots of problems anymore than new construction automatically = poorly built. But in both cases, it can work out that way if you are not careful.

That said, I still would take my chances with an older home in Eastwood before I would take on most new "entry-level" construction under $200k in the area. (For a number of reasons).

The other thing about Eastwood is while it is still very transitional, things are starting to pick up over there I think. Most of the homes on the market in there right now have contracts pending on them. I know the main Broker in our office has investors wanting fourplexes, duplexes and such over there. I just closed a deal today on a listing on a vacant lot in Eastwood. It was $99,900 and sold for full price. The purchasers just sold a $400,000+ home off Washington and are planning on building on the lot. There just seems to be a lot of positive activity going on. Of course that is all just observations and hardly solid proof of anything.

I will second what RPS said. We live in a not quite 80 year old home and it is built like a tank. No sheetrock at all. All the windows have been updated now with doublepane, has centrals, we put granite in the kitchen and bathroom, added a 1/2 bath, fixed some of the plumbing, new electrical box and wiring out to the garage which WAS a mess. Currently we are redoing the wood floors then need to paint the new crown moulding, base, and shoe moulding. It's going to be a stunner.

Eastwood is great but don't shy away from the sister neighborhood of Broadmoor. Both Eastwood and Broadmoor have the same Civic Association.

Also to second RPS quite a bit of new construction is complete crap. Costs have skyrocketed for everything such as Concrete, sheetrock, copper, etc... so lower end builders are having a tough time passing on the costs so they are finding ever new ways to cut corners to save a few dollars. Beware!!!!

Good luck,

Scharpe St Guy

There are a lot of repairs with any house, old or new. Anybody that owns a house knows, there is ALWAYS something. Personally I trust the construction of older houses but that is just my opinion. One of the homes I owned in 6th ward was built in 1862. All the "systems" had been redone, electrical, plumbing, roof, HVAC, etc. I had it for five years and the biggest problem I had was replacing a little bit of rotten wood here and there when I had it repainted. It was NOT any kind of maintenance nightmare. I don't think older house = lots of problems anymore than new construction automatically = poorly built. But in both cases, it can work out that way if you are not careful.

That said, I still would take my chances with an older home in Eastwood before I would take on most new "entry-level" construction under $200k in the area. (For a number of reasons).

The other thing about Eastwood is while it is still very transitional, things are starting to pick up over there I think. Most of the homes on the market in there right now have contracts pending on them. I know the main Broker in our office has investors wanting fourplexes, duplexes and such over there. I just closed a deal today on a listing on a vacant lot in Eastwood. It was $99,900 and sold for full price. The purchasers just sold a $400,000+ home off Washington and are planning on building on the lot. There just seems to be a lot of positive activity going on. Of course that is all just observations and hardly solid proof of anything.

I'll be closing on a house in Eastwood next week...finally (seller was a screwball)...and I've got my work cut out for me.

1) Its got a block-and-beam foundation with stations that are leaning or unstable. A 500sf addition to the home sits on a cracked slab.

2) Water collects under the home.

3) Exposed live wiring, inadequate numbers of outlets (none in the bathrooms), and a double ganged breaker.

4) Only a few minor plumbing issues, but a patchwork of materials from past repairs.

5) Roll roofing needs replacement. No attic ventilation whatsoever.

6) Brick veneer is cracking and bulging in two locations.

7) Downstairs bath has rotted floors and nonfunctional plumbing. The previous owner removed the toilet but didn't cap off the pipe, so there's also an aroma of sewer gas in that room. On the inspector's report, it stated "Caution: Floor could give way."

8) No Central Air and only one working window unit.

9) Garage apartment burnt down some time ago. The rubble remains.

Most of this stuff I can take care of myself...but it'll take some time and some money. Answer your question, ToolMan?

Edited by TheNiche

Guest danax
I'll be closing on a house in Eastwood next week...finally (seller was a screwball)...and I've got my work cut out for me.

1) Its got a block-and-beam foundation with stations that are leaning or unstable. A 500sf addition to the home sits on a cracked slab.

2) Water collects under the home.

3) Exposed live wiring, inadequate numbers of outlets (none in the bathrooms), and a double ganged breaker.

4) Only a few minor plumbing issues, but a patchwork of materials from past repairs.

5) Roll roofing needs replacement. No attic ventilation whatsoever.

6) Brick veneer is cracking and bulging in two locations.

7) Downstairs bath has rotted floors and nonfunctional plumbing. The previous owner removed the toilet but didn't cap off the pipe, so there's also an aroma of sewer gas in that room. On the inspector's report, it stated "Caution: Floor could give way."

8) No Central Air and only one working window unit.

9) Garage apartment burnt down some time ago. The rubble remains.

Most of this stuff I can take care of myself...but it'll take some time and some money. Answer your question, ToolMan?

Niche! A true pioneer! I am glad to see someone like you not only move East of Eden but also appreciate your helping to preserve our dwindling reserves of old residential architecture.

Ah, all that stuff you mentioned is fixable. The bulging walls might concern me a bit though.

Brick veneer and roll roofing? Is this a 20s-30s 2 story?

Niche! A true pioneer! I am glad to see someone like you not only move East of Eden but also appreciate your helping to preserve our dwindling reserves of old residential architecture.

Ah, all that stuff you mentioned is fixable. The bulging walls might concern me a bit though.

Brick veneer and roll roofing? Is this a 20s-30s 2 story?

Yep. The Appraisal District says 1945...but they're frequently wrong.

The bulging brick isn't load bearing...I know this because there has already been a collapse along one wall that occurred many years ago. Fortunately, the owner saved and stacked up all of the old bricks in the side yard, so I can repair most of the damage. Odds are that I'll have to disassemble and reassemble the bulging bricks along the corner of the house.

This problem is apparently common in Eastwood. There's a home on the opposite side of the block that had a complete collapse of its front facade a year or two back and that had to be reassembled.

I've got to be honest about all of this, though, in stating that I'm driven by a profit motive...I wasn't able to buy a tiny Bellaire cottage on the cheap that I could drop in a year and reconstruct as a McMansion (another screwball seller), so I moved on to the next best option available to me.

Guest danax
Yep. The Appraisal District says 1945...but they're frequently wrong.

The bulging brick isn't load bearing...I know this because there has already been a collapse along one wall that occurred many years ago. Fortunately, the owner saved and stacked up all of the old bricks in the side yard, so I can repair most of the damage. Odds are that I'll have to disassemble and reassemble the bulging bricks along the corner of the house.

This problem is apparently common in Eastwood. There's a home on the opposite side of the block that had a complete collapse of its front facade a year or two back and that had to be reassembled.

I've got to be honest about all of this, though, in stating that I'm driven by a profit motive...I wasn't able to buy a tiny Bellaire cottage on the cheap that I could drop in a year and reconstruct as a McMansion (another screwball seller), so I moved on to the next best option available to me.

Any exterior wall is load bearing but hopefully the brick is not being pushed outwards by a bulging frame. Even that can be fixed though.

Can I ask what your profit motive is? It sounds like you're going to "rehab" and flip, but not bulldoze.

Any exterior wall is load bearing but hopefully the brick is not being pushed outwards by a bulging frame. Even that can be fixed though.

Can I ask what your profit motive is? It sounds like you're going to "rehab" and flip, but not bulldoze.

Yeah..."rehab" and flip. Bye bye crappy old countertops--hello granite. Wood floors where they don't yet exist. Additional electrical outlets. Central AC (or possibly those ductless units that are common in Europe and Asia). That sort of thing. I'll keep most of the cabinetry if I can, though...the originals are already very nice. When I rebuild the driveway and garage, I'm going to try and get the garage close enough to the home to attach it via a short connective structure without removing a mature oak tree.

But I don't envision making a great deal of money on this home once I quantify the sweat equity...it'll be more like taking a second job in a way.

Here's my upside: the lot is oversized because its on a triangular corner and leaves enough room behind the house to accomodate another small home using a common driveway if the driveway is tucked along the back property line. It'd require a variance, but I've already received some encouragement from a fellow with the Civic Assn. on the condition that I keep things tasteful. I'm thinking of a two-story faux-foursquare in a craftsman style that would be a bit smaller in terms of square footage than what you'd typically see on a full lot. I'll have to be creative for it to fly because the issue at hand is not so much width as it is depth...that is to say, it won't look like a typical narrow townhome. We'll see...

...and of course, I'll keep you and my fellow HAIFers informed as things progress.

Edited by TheNiche

Yeah..."rehab" and flip. Bye bye crappy old countertops--hello granite. Wood floors where they don't yet exist. Additional electrical outlets. Central AC (or possibly those ductless units that are common in Europe and Asia). That sort of thing. I'll keep most of the cabinetry if I can, though...the originals are already very nice. When I rebuild the driveway and garage, I'm going to try and get the garage close enough to the home to attach it via a short connective structure without removing a mature oak tree.

But I don't envision making a great deal of money on this home once I quantify the sweat equity...it'll be more like taking a second job in a way.

Here's my upside: the lot is oversized because its on a triangular corner and leaves enough room behind the house to accomodate another small home using a common driveway if the driveway is tucked along the back property line. It'd require a variance, but I've already received some encouragement from a fellow with the Civic Assn. on the condition that I keep things tasteful. I'm thinking of a two-story faux-foursquare in a craftsman style that would be a bit smaller in terms of square footage than what you'd typically see on a full lot. I'll have to be creative for it to fly because the issue at hand is not so much width as it is depth...that is to say, it won't look like a typical narrow townhome. We'll see...

...and of course, I'll keep you and my fellow HAIFers informed as things progress.

I think I know the house. I think at one time during the for sale period the owner was wanting to try and keep that back half of the lot. Sounds like they gave up on that one, (if that is the same house with the glassed in front porch) One bit of advice, if you want that variance make sure Bill England is in your corner. I don't think you would get very far with it if he is against it.

Good luck. You should do well with it.

I think I know the house. I think at one time during the for sale period the owner was wanting to try and keep that back half of the lot. Sounds like they gave up on that one, (if that is the same house with the glassed in front porch) One bit of advice, if you want that variance make sure Bill England is in your corner. I don't think you would get very far with it if he is against it.

Good luck. You should do well with it.

Ah, so you're the one who bought it! Congrats on your choice of property. The next meeting of the Eastwood Civic Association is August 7 at 6:30 pm in the E.B. Cape Center on Lockwood, if you're interested.

For more than a year I watched this area, studied the stats and did my homework. Last year, I bought a tiny 75-year-old brick bungalow in Broadmoor, fixed the foundation, electric, plumbing, heat/ac, and moved in. I'm doing the cosmetic stuff and kitchen while living in it. While I don't recommend this approach to everyone, it works for me. The Heights was originally my neighborhood of choice but it was too pricey. I'm a native Houstonian who grew up in the East End and never thought I'd ever see it as a place I'd want to live again. Slowly but surely, it's turning around.

Silver,

Where in Broadmoor? Wife and I are currently residing in one stacked to the gills bedroom and pretty full kitchen while our wood floors are repaired, sanded, stained, and sealed. We have done quite a bit of work on our home on Sharpe St.

Scharpe St Guy

Ah, so you're the one who bought it! Congrats on your choice of property. The next meeting of the Eastwood Civic Association is August 7 at 6:30 pm in the E.B. Cape Center on Lockwood, if you're interested.

For more than a year I watched this area, studied the stats and did my homework. Last year, I bought a tiny 75-year-old brick bungalow in Broadmoor, fixed the foundation, electric, plumbing, heat/ac, and moved in. I'm doing the cosmetic stuff and kitchen while living in it. While I don't recommend this approach to everyone, it works for me. The Heights was originally my neighborhood of choice but it was too pricey. I'm a native Houstonian who grew up in the East End and never thought I'd ever see it as a place I'd want to live again. Slowly but surely, it's turning around.

Yes, those are Urban Living homes. They're ok. My husband and I went to check them out, and I must warn you:

They back up to the railroad. Literally. It's the same way with the UL houses on Bonner St. but closer, if that's possible. I would gauge about 6 feet between the house and the still-active tracks. Great, if you're never there when the train comes through. :D

ROFLMFAO ! :lol::lol::lol: 6 feet ? CLASSIC !

Thanks Niche...and others.

I drove by ealier today and liked what I saw because I like neighborhoods that have trees and character. But I noticed most of the houses didn't have garages. My only two requirements are 2 bathrooms and a garage.

I also don't want to buy a fixer-upper because I don't have the experience and time. That leads me to the folks like you guys to purchase one of these houses and fix it up. Then sell it to me with the "good-guy" discount.

The Herrin Lofts look interesting too - right by the ballpark and the new soon-to-be park. But not much else there right now other than abandon warehouses.

One bit of advice, if you want that variance make sure Bill England is in your corner. I don't think you would get very far with it if he is against it.

Bill has several houses over there that he owns and simply rents out but hasn't fixed them.

Edited by musicman

Thanks Niche...and others.

I drove by ealier today and liked what I saw because I like neighborhoods that have trees and character. But I noticed most of the houses didn't have garages. My only two requirements are 2 bathrooms and a garage.

I also don't want to buy a fixer-upper because I don't have the experience and time. That leads me to the folks like you guys to purchase one of these houses and fix it up. Then sell it to me with the "good-guy" discount.

The Herrin Lofts look interesting too - right by the ballpark and the new soon-to-be park. But not much else there right now other than abandon warehouses.

Many homes do have garages, but they are tucked away in the back corner of the lots and most are detached from the home.