Superstores

Gander Mountain, which bills itself as a place for "serious" hunters and outdoorsmen is having their grand opening this weekend. They are located at 19820 Hempstead Road, if you're interested. Their location is approximately 87,000 square feet, which seems awfully large until you compare it to the mac-daddy of them all, The Bass Pro Shops Outdoor World, located at Katy Mills Mall, which comes in at a whopping 130,000 square feet. Houston has always been hailed as "bigger is better" which is one of the reasons both Gander and Bass Pro Shops opened here and not other places.

• 1 year later...
Could this happen here in Houston? I don't see this occuring anytime soon, but this type of measure would be welcome. Especially inside Loop 610.

?Maryland's Talbot County: Approved a measure to limit size of superstores to 65,000 square feet.

*I posted this in another thread, but it was Swollowed by other rants and raves. I'd like to hear your opinions.

I've been in more than one Wal-Mart Supercenter. I've noticed that they all have generally the same layout, which leads me to conclude that each building is about the same size. Does anyone out there know how many square feet each store occupies?

Gander Mountain, which bills itself as a place for "serious" hunters and outdoorsmen is having their grand opening this weekend. They are located at 19820 Hempstead Road, if you're interested. Their location is approximately 87,000 square feet, which seems awfully large until you compare it to the mac-daddy of them all, The Bass Pro Shops Outdoor World, located at Katy Mills Mall, which comes in at a whopping 130,000 square feet. Houston has always been hailed as "bigger is better" which is one of the reasons both Gander and Bass Pro Shops opened here and not other places.

There was an article in the New York Times last week about a place called Cabela's in way-out rural Minnesota that's supposed to be the largest in the Midwest, and attracts people from all over the country. From what I can tell, if it wasn't for that store that town would have dried up and blown away long ago, but it has hotels and restaurants and such because of all the tourists. The Times article said the store in Minnesota is 250,000 square feet, but that they're expanding across the country. Maybe one will land in Houston.