Third Ward Gentrification

I've been fascinated by the 3rd Ward/Midtown area. I notice that "Midtown" has come along quite nicely, and the "3rd Ward" is slowly but surely becoming a "hot" area. I drove the 3rd Ward area a few days ago and noticed that there are huge homes all throughout. One street in particular caught my attention: Wheeler (@ the intersection of 288). On one side of Wheeler @ 288 there are newer townhomes. On the opposite of the freeway on Wheeler it is definitely "the hood". However, it's obvious that the proximity to downtown can possibly make this area very valuable.

Does anyone know if Wheeler avenue is on the "to-do" list for Houston Urban planners to rennovate? I wouldnt mind purchasing a piece of property, but I'm afraid to do so. If the city is planning to revise the area, I would love purchase this year and be ahead of the curve. the gain could be tremendous.

If Wheeler St. is not on the Houston Urban planning "to do" list, then of course, there would be no interest in purchasing.

Anyone have any comments? I would love to gain all the feedback I can get from others who may have more info about this perculiar area. Thanks to all in advance!

There was a thread somewhere about this. Developers have been trying to buy some land in the Third Ward close to 288, but some politico has been trying to get funds to try to preserve the neighborhood. My guess is that eventually 3rd Ward will gentrify somewhat, but it will be a slow process.

Does anyone know if Wheeler avenue is on the "to-do" list for Houston Urban planners to rennovate?

Isn't Wheeler one of the proposed alignments of the Universities line.

That might move Wheeler up on the "to do" list.

Isn't Wheeler one of the proposed alignments of the Universities line.

That might move Wheeler up on the "to do" list.

I don't think Wheeler will happen. That would take the light rail directly through the pedestrian area down the middle of the TSU campus. Neither TSU nor its students want to see that happen, from what I've heard...and it ain't gonna happen unless TSU and its students are in favor of that alignment.

UH, on the other hand, is in favor of an Alabama alignment, which would allow the rail to come directly into the center of UH campus (down the existing boulevard to the PGH building, for those that know the campus).

Personally I'd like to see the Alabama alignment.

In response to the initial question...the City is not exactly in the business of "revising" neighborhoods. They may have some ability to improve neighborhoods through capital improvement projects, park projects, and the like, but outside of that, it's up to the market.

Right now, I'd say 3rd Ward is on the upswing. The 3rd Ward west of 288 (renamed "Museum District" by the developers) is becoming very high-$$$ property.

Gentrification is a very complicated matter in 3rd Ward. There are those who'd like to see the neighborhood develop, and there are those who don't want 3rd Ward to change. There's a lot of history in 3rd Ward...I think the biggest thing that 3rd Ward residents don't want to see is a wholesale destruction of their neighborhood, like the destruction of the 4th Ward...which became a townhome ghetto.

Buying into the 3rd Ward now is a good idea...prices will only rise I'm sure. Just don't expect 3rd Ward to turn into something it's not. Right now it's the proud center of black Houston...don't expect that to change without a fight on the part of 3rd Ward residents.

There are those who'd like to see the neighborhood develop, and there are those who don't want 3rd Ward to change. There's a lot of history in 3rd Ward...I think the biggest thing that 3rd Ward residents don't want to see is a wholesale destruction of their neighborhood, like the destruction of the 4th Ward...which became a townhome ghetto.

Buying into the 3rd Ward now is a good idea...prices will only rise I'm sure. Just don't expect 3rd Ward to turn into something it's not. Right now it's the proud center of black Houston...don't expect that to change without a fight on the part of 3rd Ward residents.

Resistance is futile.

I think eventually the economics tend to win out, especially in Houston. If the Heights has been unable to keep a lot of its old houses, it will be even more so for 3rd Ward. Imo, becoming a townhome ghetto was the best thing that's ever happened to the 4th Ward. It may not be great, but it's a heck of a lot better than what was there before. Gentrification will help values in the 3rd Ward, which ultimately is the best way to preserve a neighborhood. It's declining values you have to watch out for.

To Womack Development and Perry Homes, my grandparents home and properties are NOT FOR SALE!!!! There is development occuring in 3rd ward. 3rd ward is also a very LARGE community with a broad spectrum of economic ranges. All people there are not against development, including the grandparents :):) They just dont want to sell any of thier property :)

I don't know that I agree that the properties immediately west of 288 look any better than the ones immediately east.

Certainly Riverside Terrace & Washington Terrace have their share of blight, as does Montrose & Heights. But it is home to a lot of different income levels, including a lot of successful people. Not that anyone has "gone there" yet, but I feel the possibly misguided need to remind everyone that just because something isn't home to a bunch of Galleria style Yuppies does not mean it needs to change or be wiped off the map. It does not make it, I don't know, less worthy or something. That area is a vibrant part of this city's fabric just like it is.

I don't think Wheeler will happen. .....Right now, I'd say 3rd Ward is on the upswing. The 3rd Ward west of 288 (renamed "Museum District" by the developers) is becoming very high-$$$ property. ......Gentrification is a very complicated matter in 3rd Ward.

Original Timmy Chan...Dont think Wheeler St. will be renovated? You may want to think again. Since I've posted this comment, I've read a lot of information about revitalizing 3rd ward. One of the most shocking things read was the possible merger of TSU and UofH. This may take some time, but what a awesome thing for the community.

third ward is def. on the upswing. The Museum District side of 288 is on fire. building all around. It seems to be a matter of time until the construction moves further down 288 to the rougher areas. And yes, gentrification is a huge issue. It's a sore spot for lower income african americans who feel that developers will be unsympathetic to taking over their neighborhood and moving them out. The balance is very delicate. IF the city can strike a balance of lower income homes blended with higher income homes, it could work. now THAT'S urban planning.

check out the quote below from www.chron.com:

"Many people who have lived in the Third Ward for 40 to 50 years will not be able to stay. That's part of the price an area pays for being centrally located," Carter said. Carter and Mixon expect Third Ward to continue to grow, and both say increased displacement will be part of the process.

Now that ive done a little more research, I couldnt agree with you more about now is the time to jump into third ward. the 5 or 10 year payoff will beat the stock market anyday. Especially if you find a deal on a "fixer-upper". The homes in the area def need some TLC, but for the large yard and proximity to downtown, there is no comparison for the price. (especially when compared to similar size homes of Bellaire and West U).

In a perfect world, I would love to see African Americnas reinvest their resources into the community and make it beautiful by renovation and home ownership. But, until that happens, gentrification it will be.

Original Timmy Chan...Dont think Wheeler St. will be renovated? You may want to think again.

Actually I was referring to the possibility of the Wheeler alignment of the light rail...I don't think that's going to happen.

As far as improvements being made to 3rd Ward, it's not a matter of "will be"...they "have been" for quite some time. I know I've seen an improvement in certain areas there in the last 15 years...Alabama comes to mind as one street that has seen some improvements. They've built a number of brand new houses and some townhomes along there near Jack Yates and TSU.

I'd like to see people moving into the 3rd Ward because it's a good community, not because of its potential profit. And it is a close-knit community...although no one can deny that it's got its share of poverty, drugs and crime. You also can't deny that 3rd Ward is the center of power for blacks in Houston.

As far as the TSU-UH merger goes....MidtownCoog is right on the money. It's never going to happen. First and foremost, the black community in Houston will NEVER let that happen. Hopefully TSU can right its own ship and prove that it doesn't need to be taken care of...unfortunately it's got a bad track record of mismanagement. It looked like they were on the right path with Dr. Slade, as many good things were happening at TSU...but we all know how that ended up. TSU must make the right hire this time.

Of all the posts in this thread, I have to agree most with rps. 3rd Ward doesn't need gentrification...it doesn't need wholesale change. It can definitely stand improvements, but becoming a townhome ghetto like 4th Ward should NEVER happen.

Actually I was referring to the possibility of the Wheeler alignment of the light rail...I don't think that's going to happen.

As far as improvements being made to 3rd Ward, it's not a matter of "will be"...they "have been" for quite some time. I know I've seen an improvement in certain areas there in the last 15 years...Alabama comes to mind as one street that has seen some improvements. They've built a number of brand new houses and some townhomes along there near Jack Yates and TSU.

I'd like to see people moving into the 3rd Ward because it's a good community, not because of its potential profit. And it is a close-knit community...although no one can deny that it's got its share of poverty, drugs and crime. You also can't deny that 3rd Ward is the center of power for blacks in Houston.

As far as the TSU-UH merger goes....MidtownCoog is right on the money. It's never going to happen. First and foremost, the black community in Houston will NEVER let that happen. Hopefully TSU can right its own ship and prove that it doesn't need to be taken care of...unfortunately it's got a bad track record of mismanagement. It looked like they were on the right path with Dr. Slade, as many good things were happening at TSU...but we all know how that ended up. TSU must make the right hire this time.

Of all the posts in this thread, I have to agree most with rps. 3rd Ward doesn't need gentrification...it doesn't need wholesale change. It can definitely stand improvements, but becoming a townhome ghetto like 4th Ward should NEVER happen.

I just don't see how tearing down those wonderful old bungalows & 2 story brick houses & replacing them with Perry cookie-cutters is an improvement. I know, I know, plenty of you live in Perry's and love them and thats wonderful. But if that is your tastes, then you already have PLENTY of options in that genre already inside the loop. Does EVERYTHING inside the loop have to look the same, be newer, & whitebread to be considered viable?

One of the things that has always given the inner-loop its character and flavor is the diversity of people, income levels, architecture, etc. It doesn't take some pipe dream of ultimate urban planning to get a delicate mix of lower income homes mixed with higher income homes. Such a place already exists, its called 3rd ward.

This doesn't appeal to everybody of course, that is why we have suburbs.

3rd ward can always improve, most areas in Houston could stand improvement, but to act like it is a down-&-out neighborhood that needs revitalization implys it isn't "vital" now. Personally I think that is an assumption that would only be made by those that are generally unfamiliar with the area. For those of you that doubt it, in 2002 Washington Terrace was the TOP gainer in appreciation in the entire city for the previous 5 years according to Crawford Realty Advisors Those houses might be a bargain compared to West U, (so is a whole lot of Houston), but those houses fetch a good price in my book.

Moral of the story, neighborhoods can still be viable, thriving, & appreciating without any help from Perry, Juliet, etc. & just because a neighborhood or area may not be appealing to "mainstream" tastes or well known to those in other parts of town doesn't diminish its quality. In fact, for some people it may be its best asset.

Does this count as a rant? Its been so long since I've had one its hard to tell. :ph34r:

Gotta agree. If Houston allows developers to wipe out the 3rd Ward, it will be a very sad day.

My biggest issue with Houston developers is the fact that they seem to wipe out neighborhoods (other than much of the 4th Ward) that don't need wiping out.

There is PLENTY of vacant land in Midtown, the East Side, and the wards to build, but developers want to build where it's safe, so they tear down in Montrose, West U, Riverside Terrace, the Heights, viable sections of the old 6th ward instead.

It's a real shame.

What we're left with is the same vacant lots that have been there for decades and our collective history destroyed.

• The title was changed to Third Ward Gentrification