Northern Europe

I just returned from a trip to Scandinavia, Baltics, Russia. I thought I would post a few of the approx 400 pictures I took while over there. I will try posting some every few days, or so, from each city I visited. One thing that really impressed me was the cleanliness of the places I went. No plastic cups, empty cigarette packages, hamburger wrappers, etc, even though there were McDonalds and Burger Kings everywhere. I wonder if it's the make-up of the populace, who care about their environment, or a very busy crew of clean-up workers in all of the cities and towns I went to...except for one, which I will mention when I display the pictures I took there. I will start off with Oslo...much smaller than I had envisioned...a very pretty, green area at this time of year...made even more so by the chilling rain that was falling while I was there. Will continue next with Stockholm.

Oslo street scene

OsloStreet.jpg

Sidewalk scenes

OsloSidewalk.jpg

OsloScene.jpg

Park area

OsloPark2.jpg

Downtown buildings

OsloPark.jpg

OsloBuildings.jpg

Nobel Peace Prize Museum. Formerly a railroad station.

OsloNobel.jpg

City Hall. Where the Peace Prize is awarded every year.

OsloCityHall.jpg

Harbor scenes

OsloHarbor.jpg

OsloPort.jpg

It looks much bigger in the tour book I have. Kind of disappointing. Maybe because it was a rainy day.

By "smaller than I envisioned", I meant the size of the buildings, which did not exceed about 12 stories, except for City Hall, which was not much higher and looks to be the tallest building in the metropolitan area. I think Oslo has over a million people spread out over a fairly large area. None of the major cities I visited had anything that would even approach the Houston skyscrapers of 50 years ago.

I just returned from a trip to Scandinavia, Baltics, Russia. I thought I would post a few of the approx 400 pictures I took while over there. I will try posting some every few days, or so, from each city I visited. One thing that really impressed me was the cleanliness of the places I went. No plastic cups, empty cigarette packages, hamburger wrappers, etc, even though there were McDonalds and Burger Kings everywhere. I wonder if it's the make-up of the populace, who care about their environment, or a very busy crew of clean-up workers in all of the cities and towns I went to...except for one, which I will mention when I display the pictures I took there. I will start off with Oslo...much smaller than I had envisioned...a very pretty, green area at this time of year...made even more so by the chilling rain that was falling while I was there. Will continue next with Stockholm.

Great Pics. wow, what beautiful place. Looks a little different than our Houston (which we all love).. :D

who would have thought it would be overcast in Northern Europe though??

This was the second stop on my trip (first was London, where it was raining), so I was expecting this kind of drizzly weather to greet me in all the countries I visited. But, as you will see in the rest of my pictures, the weather was absolutely beautiful everywhere else, except for one afternoon in St Petersburg.

Oslo street scene

OsloStreet.jpg

Sidewalk scenes

OsloSidewalk.jpg

OsloScene.jpg

Park area

OsloPark2.jpg

Downtown buildings

OsloPark.jpg

OsloBuildings.jpg

Nobel Peace Prize Museum. Formerly a railroad station.

OsloNobel.jpg

City Hall. Where the Peace Prize is awarded every year.

OsloCityHall.jpg

Harbor scenes

OsloHarbor.jpg

OsloPort.jpg

Great pictures! Thanks for sharing.

This was the second stop on my trip (first was London, where it was raining), so I was expecting this kind of drizzly weather to greet me in all the countries I visited. But, as you will see in the rest of my pictures, the weather was absolutely beautiful everywhere else, except for one afternoon in St Petersburg.

I was just being my sarcastic self, sorry...but im glad you had great weather otherwise!

Here is one I forgot to include. The Royal Palace, residence of the King of Norway. The only visible security were the two sentries in front. You could almost walk up and ring the doorbell. Another thing I thought unusual was the lack of any garden landscaping on the palace grounds. Rather stark for royalty. Maybe they're trying to stay within their budget.

OsloRoyalPalace.jpg

Archived