Delaware Punch

J.A.S.O.N.

Anyone remember, or used to drink the soft drink? I haven't been able to find this in Galveston for several years now, and I'm wondering if there is anywhere in Houston that still sells it?

Oh my goodness. I used to drink that stuff when i was a kid, teen years. We used it in trash can punch along with everclear :):):) Try shopping at Fiesta stores or Foodland or Foodarama, you may be able to find it there.

In 1985, I was on my way back from a business trip to Randolph Field. Just before I got back on I-10, I stopped at a grocery/gas station to get something to drink for the trip back. To my amazement, and profound pleasure, there in the soft drink case was Hires Root Beer, one of my all time favorite beverages.

I hadn

Anyone remember, or used to drink the soft drink? I haven't been able to find this in Galveston for several years now, and I'm wondering if there is anywhere in Houston that still sells it?

I know for a fact they sell it at the James Coney Island on Westheimer at Bering. I'm not sure about the others though.

I know for a fact they sell it at the James Coney Island on Westheimer at Bering. I'm not sure about the others though.

D'oh, THAT'S RIGHT ! EUREKA ! I beleive all JCIs have Delaware Punch. I got one last time I was there about 6 months ago. I have since quit eating at JCI, or it would have come to me sooner. The one on Mason Rd. and Kingsland sells it.

I'm wondering if there is anywhere in Houston that still sells it?

I know they still sell it at KG Food Center at 7302 Tierwester.

I bought some a few weeks ago for kicks...and had pretty much the same experience as Heights2Bastrop. I used to love Delaware Punch, and hadn't had one in probably close to 20 years. That first swig was nasty...and so was the second and third...I didn't get to a fourth.

However, my wife finished the bottle for me, and went on a Delaware Punch kick for a couple weeks.

To me, drinking it for the first time in 20 years, the drink struck me as an uncarbonated, overconcentrated bunch of syrup.

Oh my goodness. I used to drink that stuff when i was a kid, teen years. We used it in trash can punch along with everclear :):):) Try shopping at Fiesta stores or Foodland or Foodarama, you may be able to find it there.

Oh, make it stop! Just thinking about trash can punch makes me want to hurl. I lived at the Coswald Village Apartments at the Monroe Exit off the Gulf Freeway. One of the neighbors had a big party where they had a brand new trash can, lots of punch, and the "admission" was a bottle of something clear. There was gin, Everclear, rum, vodka and had pieces of fruit floating in it. Man, was that ever tasty. Somehow, I made it back to my own place and woke up the next morning on my waterbed in terrible shape. Especially when I moved and the bed did too. Must have been the metal from the trash can. How did I live thru times like that? And why? :lol:

Oh, make it stop! Just thinking about trash can punch makes me want to hurl. I lived at the Coswald Village Apartments at the Monroe Exit off the Gulf Freeway. One of the neighbors had a big party where they had a brand new trash can, lots of punch, and the "admission" was a bottle of something clear. There was gin, Everclear, rum, vodka and had pieces of fruit floating in it. Man, was that ever tasty. Somehow, I made it back to my own place and woke up the next morning on my waterbed in terrible shape. Especially when I moved and the bed did too. Must have been the metal from the trash can. How did I live thru times like that? And why? :lol:

Yes, I'm now 48 and there are many things that I did back in my younger days that I can't believe that I did. I'm also surprised that I'm still alive.

• 3 years later...

Delaware Punch is available at James Coney Island locations in Houston--Also (I think) at Central Market on Westheimer.

Archived