Wonderful Weather Houston

Montrose1100

I wish it was like it is out side, in the summer. And not in November... But I guess the only winter we can pray for is a couple of cold fronts in a row, to leave us cold for a week or 2. But the air is clear, the clouds are dancing, and the sun is setting. This is good weather for us, or so I think... :) I wonder when it will get cold?

Hopefully soon! Im ready for some cold weather!

Me too!

Unfortunately I just saw a report on ABC concerning global warming. It seems that the arctic is melting at an increasingly faster rate, and global temperatures are going up at a faster rate than previously expected. It does seem our winters have been getting shorter and warmer for some time now. I remember when I was a kid and we'd get snow at least once every four or five years in the town I grew up in, about 100 miles northeast of Houston. The last time there was any significant snow or ice in that area was in 1997.

At the same time I've heard a lot of older people talk about how summers used to not be nearly as hot as they are now.

It doesnt help, but we still have people that would rather have parking lots than parks.

Yes and unfortunately some of them are on here.

Pavement definitely is part of the problem, as well as continuing destruction of the trees we have. Despite all the efforts to plant trees on streets downtown and in other parts of the city, most developers in outlying areas clear cut their land before building on it, and then replace mature trees they needlessly destroyed with baby trees that won't provide good shade for at least 20 years.

The Houston-Galveston region should be very concerned about the melting arctic icecap. As sea levels increase, which is already happening, our flooding issues here will only get worse.

You would be considered very lucky indeed if a builder or developer actually planted a tree in your new yard that (1) actually grew at all, and didn't die because of all the concrete dust accumulation in the "lawn", (2) actually provided any shade EVER. Many builders today and in the recent past have switched to providing trees such as ornamental pears which provide (1) no fruit and (2) no shade. And those would be considered "upgrade" type trees!

Wow so it's worse than I thought. Yuck! Another reason I doubt I'll ever buy into a new "master planned" community of cookie cutter houses with tacky architecture.

It really would be nice to see developers being forced to only cut existing mature trees where they fall in the footprint of the houses and streets being built. At least that way new houses would come with some mature trees already in place. But that will never happen in Houston.

I've seen forests (as I'm sure many of you have) that were cleared even before specific development was planned. One day, the beautiful forest that was there has disappeared and in it's place is a sign that says "ready to build" or some such advertisement. I imagine that Houston was very lush at one time. Parts of it still are I guess, around Memorial/River Oaks. Funny that the expensive parts of town hang on to their trees while the cheaper parts of town clear cut theirs.

Yes and unfortunately some of them are on here.

Pavement definitely is part of the problem, as well as continuing destruction of the trees we have. Despite all the efforts to plant trees on streets downtown and in other parts of the city, most developers in outlying areas clear cut their land before building on it, and then replace mature trees they needlessly destroyed with baby trees that won't provide good shade for at least 20 years.

The Houston-Galveston region should be very concerned about the melting arctic icecap. As sea levels increase, which is already happening, our flooding issues here will only get worse.

Dude, don't complain about tearing down trees, because we still have WAY more then any other major city in the world...

Edit: When are they going to start that new code/law? making it illegal to cut down Oak trees?

Dude, don't complain about tearing down trees, because we still have WAY more then any other major city in the world...

Edit: When are they going to start that new code/law? making it illegal to cut down Oak trees?

I don't think that's the case. I'd argue that Seattle, Portland, Kansas City, Anchorage, and Vancouver all have us beat there. And just because we still have a lot of trees doesn't mean cutting down more than what's necessary is a good thing. Incrased forest destruction is increasing our flooding problems (those trees soak up a lot of water) and making some of our air pollution problems worse.

I don't think that's the case. I'd argue that Seattle, Portland, Kansas City, Anchorage, and Vancouver all have us beat there. And just because we still have a lot of trees doesn't mean cutting down more than what's necessary is a good thing. Incrased forest destruction is increasing our flooding problems (those trees soak up a lot of water) and making some of our air pollution problems worse.

They do replant most of the trees they tear down, its just they need to tear them down to build, and move equipment...

I was talking to a guy who told me that the Katy Freeway used to be nothing but pine trees from the Dairy Ashford area all the way in to Washington Ave. (Memorial Park). Going north on I-45, everything used to be hardwood forest until you got out towards Greenspoint. Now south and southwest Houston never had any trees. The only exception was a pine stand in present-day Hermann Park, and some hardwoods along Brays Bayou.

Basically you can tell where there used to be a forest by driving around... you see older trees in the backyards and such.

• 2 months later...
I was talking to a guy who told me that the Katy Freeway used to be nothing but pine trees from the Dairy Ashford area all the way in to Washington Ave. (Memorial Park).  Going north on I-45, everything used to be hardwood forest until you got out towards Greenspoint.  Now south and southwest Houston never had any trees.  The only exception was a pine stand in present-day Hermann Park, and some hardwoods along Brays Bayou. 

Basically you can tell where there used to be a forest by driving around... you see older trees in the backyards and such.

can we say "january" and i am still not wearing a coat. i do not think i have put on a coat all 'winter', although i did have to wear a hat once or twice.

can we say "january" and i am still not wearing a coat.  i do not think i have put on a coat all 'winter', although i did have to wear a hat once or twice.

I know what you mean. But we've had some cold days - back right before Christmas, and the last couple of days have been chilly. But not so much so I had to break out my really heavy coat. Actually I don't think it's ever been cold enough since I've lived in Houston to justify wearing it.

I for one love cold weather. I can't wait for a weekend trip to Boston at the end of the month to get here so I can actually wear some sweaters and scarves and other cold weather gear I have that's been in storage since I was in NY and Connecticut last winter for work.

I may be completely mistaken, but I recall hearing recently that there are more mature trees in America today than there were 200 years ago. This is a result of reforestation. The downside was that the new forests are not virgin forests because they lack a natural undergrowth.

The house I recently sold in Timbergrove in the Heights has three majestic oaks along 11th Street. That house was built by my grandfather in

I may be completely mistaken, but I recall hearing recently that there are more mature trees in America today than there were 200 years ago. This is a result of reforestation. The downside was that the new forests are not virgin forests because they lack a natural undergrowth.   

The house I recently sold in Timbergrove in the Heights has three majestic oaks along 11th Street. That house was built by my grandfather in

• 4 weeks later...
I wish it was like it is out side, in the summer. And not in November... But I guess the only winter we can pray for is a couple of cold fronts in a row, to leave us cold for a week or 2. But the air is clear, the clouds are dancing, and the sun is setting. This is good weather for us, or so I think...  :)  I wonder when it will get cold?

While East Coast is buried deep in 10 inches of snow, we are having wonderful weather. A bit chilly but comfortable. Recent rain has also improved the look and feel of the city. The air seems clearer as visibility has improved. The roads look cleaner as dust and debris has been washed away. The foliage looks greener. It shows how much of a difference weather makes in the feel of a city. I can

While East Coast is buried deep in 10 inches of snow, we are having wonderful weather. A bit chilly but comfortable. Recent rain has also improved the look and feel of the city. The air seems clearer as visibility has improved. The roads look cleaner as dust and debris has been washed away. The foliage looks greener. It shows how much of a difference weather makes in the feel of a city. I can

It's funny that when Houston has this mild weather between October and April, 7 months, no one remembers. Yet, the admittedly sweltering months between May and August are remembered by all. Bastards.

It's funny that when Houston has this mild weather between October and April, 7 months, no one remembers.  Yet, the admittedly sweltering months between May and August are remembered by all.  Bastards.

correction: it was sweltering last year well into the christmas season. by my estimates it would leave houston with just 4 really pleasant months of weather.

correction: it was sweltering last year well into the christmas season.  by my estimates it would leave houston with just 4 really pleasant months of weather.

I actually found the entire month of past November quite pleasant, as did the starter of this thread. However, I agree that a couple of weeks in October were quite hot. But I was told that was unusual for that month.

correction: it was sweltering last year well into the christmas season.  by my estimates it would leave houston with just 4 really pleasant months of weather.

Maybe it's because I was raised in Texas, and lived in Houston for almost 20 years, but I dont consider the random warm days in December as "sweltering". Not even close. The hottest day in December was pretty damn confortable compared to July.

Maybe it's because I was raised in Texas, and lived in Houston for almost 20 years, but I dont consider the random warm days in December as "sweltering".  Not even close.  The hottest day in December was pretty damn confortable compared to July.

i believe we had some 80 - 90 degree days in december. i don't call 90 degrees in december 'comfortable'.