Great Memorial Bend House

texasdago

Let's just say I was thrilled to see a for sale sign in front of this house. An "architect" bought it about a year ago... probably longer... claiming he was going to use it for his family. Not long after that, plans for a monster McMansion landed in front of the civic association. Well, I don't know what happened. It sat vacant the whole time and now he's selling the house.

I'm pretty sure it is by William Floyd (the block is made up of 10 houses - 9 of which were designed by Floyd) - it is a very cool house on a 17,000 sq. ft. lot (still teardown bait) so hopefully someone can save it:

http://search.har.com/engine/indexdetail.c...=0&backButton=Y

hr1706703-16.jpg

hr1706703-1.jpg

hr1706703-19.jpg

I am sorry to say, but 2,000 sf on 17,000 lot is doomed for new construction. The price is right and the location is very good. A lot that big will generate alot of interest.

Was the previous owner trying to split the lot and built two houses? I am sure the memorial bend association would not be too fired up for that. But with a lot that big I do not see how they could stop someone from building a single house (as long as it was within the deed restrictions.). Do you have any idea the purchase price from a year ago. It would be interesting to see if he the seller will be making a profit.

That house looked so much better before it sat for a year. So I guess I could assume from the above the link the house traded for somewhere between 250-300k. That is a pretty substantial jump in one years time to expect $340k.

Thanks for the info JM1FD

What does JM1FD stand for anyway.. :) If you don't mind me asking.

$275k to be exact on 11/5/2004 also sold on

10/17/2001 for $215k

Scharpe St Guy

That house looked so much better before it sat for a year. So I guess I could assume from the above the link the house traded for somewhere between 250-300k. That is a pretty substantial jump in one years time to expect $340k.

Thanks for the info JM1FD

What does JM1FD stand for anyway.. :) If you don't mind me asking.

Actually, the board recently denied a buyer's request to split a lot on a different 17,000 sq ft lot with a similarly sized house. They had a meeting and about 70 or so people showed up. The straw poll was overwhelmingly against splitting the lot and many people spoke up about not wanting another McMansion. It was pretty impressive.

All it takes is a good buyer with vision and they have a great mid-century house on their hands zoned to the best schools in Houston. It can be saved...

Actually, the board recently denied a buyer's request to split a lot on a different 17,000 sq ft lot with a similarly sized house. They had a meeting and about 70 or so people showed up. The straw poll was overwhelmingly against splitting the lot and many people spoke up about not wanting another McMansion. It was pretty impressive.

All it takes is a good buyer with vision and they have a great mid-century house on their hands zoned to the best schools in Houston. It can be saved...

I'm showing it later this week, we will see....

Would the board allow a 4-5k sf house on that site. I can see how splitting that great lot would cause a lot of heartache, but I would think there would be less they could do for a single house that was not so oppulent.

I love this house. It sits directly behind mine.... matter of fact was throwing around the idea of trying to buy some of his lot from him to expand mine.

As far as letting them build some big monstrosity. I was encouraged by the reaction at the board meeting about subdividing that other lot but then again they are letting both that Electra and Faust houses be build. I mean the Faust house has a turret.....

4K - 5K sq. ft. house that's not so opulent? That I'd like to see...

My house is 3,000 and is far from Oppulent . I think it is possible to add another 1-2k of space and have the house still look like it fits in with the neighborhood. Spread it out, make it a big ranch style house. On a lot that size it is not that difficult.

You can make poorly built houses as big as you want. We have plenty of examples in and around Houston. How about that huge grey monstrosity on Memorial, just west of Beltway 8...yuck!

Thats no house, its a crib.

You just know that someone thinks its the bomb. I was scheduled to look at the house next door to it and immediately when driving up to it I knew I could never live next door to that. I mean, way to go to be able to afford such a white elephant, but please.... all they need is a F850 parked out front.

In a way it reminds me of the Purple, yellow and red house off of Chimney Rock a couple streets south of sugar hill (Lynbrook?). The other style that I love is people siding thier homes in flagstone. Make thier home look like a 3 dimensional patio. As a prank I'd like to glue some lawn chairs and a bar-b-q on the side of thier house and see if they get it. (thier is an example of this on Chimney Rock south of the purple house.)

Mini Castles are Cool. :D

TP:

From your comments here, I infer you live in the mini-McMansion in Walnut Bend recently constructed on the site which formerly held an early 1960s contemporary house designed by architect William Floyd.

Until the builders bought it, the house was still owned by the original owner and it was still complete and original down to its aqua kitchen appliances, white, aqua, and coral laminate counter tops, and Heywood-Wakefield furnishings.

And if you don't live there, it sounds like you wish you did...

It looked like this:

10710pipingrock.JPG

THIS is Cool.

Space Age,

First of all, The castle picture was meant to be taken as a joke as there were many comments floating around mocking Turrets. When I said "Mini Castles are Cool" and then put a bit smiley face after it, that was also meant to be to taken as a joke.

Secondly, no I do not live in a McMansion. My house is 38 years old, has 3,000 SF and sits on a 10,500 corner lot. The house is sized just right for the lot and fits in the rest of the neighborhood where houses run from 1800-3200 sf.

I know of about 3-4 new houses that have been built in Walnut Bend in recent years. Two of the bigger ones were built after fires destroyed the older houses. The only one that I know of that sticks out is the house built by Chuck Poteet (sp). Is on a corner lot in the back part of the neighborhood off Walnut Bend. It is a greyish stucco house. While it does not neccesarily fit the neighborhood I would not put it into the catagory of a Bellaire "McMansion." It is probably 4,200 SF on a 10,000 SF lot.

Finally, even if I did want to live in a newer bigger house (one you might call a McMansion) who cares. I am not pushing my agenda on you. As I stated above, I was making a joke and most people on this board probably took it as such.

Just as much as you find a "McMansion" less than appealing place to live, there are countless others who do not care to live in a 40-50 year old mod with original fixtures and appliances.

I personally like Mod's a lot. That is why I post on the Mod threads. I would be very interested in living in one, but to be honest I would want to update it. Call me crazy but Dishwashers have advanced in 40 years and I would like a new one.

Archived