Watch Out Waller County And Prairie View

Trae

Thoughts?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Yes or No

• Yes
    • No

Today, my family and I took a drive out to Prairie View to drop my brother back of at some summer program there. When we were coming back, we decided to visit my uncle in Stone Gate. Let me tell you, Prairie View is not going to be a rural campus, or city very soon. Waller as well. The development starts just on the easternten side of Waller. I saw new neighborhoods. I looked up the homebuilders, and the are in Waller I.S.D. The big developments start about 10-15 minutes in. Thats when you get to the Spring Cypress Shopping Center (huge). Once the Grand Parkway runs up here, it will be on the extreme western half of Fairfield. Along with the Bridgelands just south of 290 (with most of the Bridgelands west of the Grand Parkway), this place should all be continous development until after leaving Prairie View. It also helps that PVAMU is a growing University. Do any of you think that this place will look like Katy does now (with Cinco Ranch) in the next ten years?

It'll happen someday, however with all that is already slated for development in and around Spring Cypress all the way up past Fairfield, commuting on 290 will become completely unworkable, and this will put a crimp on future development.

• 2 months later...
Commuter Rail is in the works to go out to Prairie View.

We agree that growth is coming to Waller, though timing depends on mobility along 290. New subdivisions in Waller ISD include Mallard Crossing (1600 lots) on Warren Ranch Road south of the 290/Hegar interchange, and an unannounced s/d at 290/Becker (possibly 1300 lots).

Our focus in Waller right now is to build the industrial base before the residential boom hits.

We are also desiring to do a public/private partnership with a retail developer who will do a "lifestyle" retail center that will enhance our small-town feel before the big boxes arrive.

What would give it more character would be to leave it like it is. It is sickening that development is so out-of-control that they can't find a stopping point. I thought Cypress was as far as the housing boom for Houston metro was going.

IMO, they ruined Cypress by creating neighborhoods with recycled names and cookie-cutter designs. Cypress was some beautiful country, and that beauty would have been preserved with good street planning and neighborhoods that don't have stupid nature names, and custom homes. All the neighborhood names blend together anyways. Honestly, nobody will care about the difference between Cypress Lakes Estates and Canyon Pines Ranch. There is no distinctiveness like "Champions" or "The Heights", so why even give them names? Just build nice custom homes on wooded lots with good road planning and say that you live in Cypress.

Waller and Prairie View should work together to prevent sprawl from entering their boundaries. My aunt recently moved out of her home about 100 yards away from that new Target out there, and they were pressuring her to sell the land. At one time it was very serene out there, now all of a sudden you have these ugly category killers everywhere with architectural blandness, basically just a bunch of mess that only consumeristic pigs would make use of. It looks about as bad as the intersection of Kuykendahl and 2920 does now. Too bad my aunt had to go to an assisted living home, because they'll surely develop more crap on her property.

Commuter Rail is in the works to go out to Prairie View.

If commuter rail goes all the way out to PV (and really ONLY if that happens), they'll start to see a lot of big projects. But right now, 290 is such a mess that Bridgelands and Towne Lake will not only take a whopping portion of the market share, but will also basically shut 290 down during rush hours.

Having said that, if commuter rail goes out to PV, I'd be more concerned about the folks that will live way out in Washington County and commute to the train station in PV before riding the rest of the way in. I know that's what I'd do if I worked in central Houston.

• The title was changed to Watch Out Waller County And Prairie View