Houston/Dallas

yeah, indeed Dallas St is said to be named after John Dallas, who was the vice-president of James K. Polk, who presided over Texas joining the union. (And incidentally, Polk St is just next to Dallas St). I also read somewhere that Washington Ave is named after Washington-on-the-Brazos, one time Texas capital, and not after Washington-on-the-Potomac... (I think there are some more streets named after Texas cities like Lubbock in that area)

yeah, indeed Dallas St is said to be named after John Dallas, who was the vice-president of James K. Polk, who presided over Texas joining the union. (And incidentally, Polk St is just next to Dallas St). I also read somewhere that Washington Ave is named after Washington-on-the-Brazos, one time Texas capital, and not after Washington-on-the-Potomac... (I think there are some more streets named after Texas cities like Lubbock in that area)

I'm looking in World Book Encyclopedia right now. It says that his name was George Mifflin Dallas (1792-1864).

John Neely Bryan was the first settler in the Dallas area back in 1841.

I'm looking in World Book Encyclopedia right now. It says that his name was George Mifflin Dallas (1792-1864).

John Neely Bryan was the first settler in the Dallas area back in 1841.

oh, you're right. For some reason, the English Wikipedia was off when I was posting (George M. Dallas), so I checked the German wikipedia entry on James K. Polk (James K. Polk). I changed it to "George M. Dallas" now :)

I thought they were named after the originally roads and the destination they ended up at... Like Dallas, Austin, McKinney, Louisiana, Crawford, maybe Travis?

Would Texas Avenue be named in such a way because the original capital building (Where the Rice Hotel is now) was there? Capitol is a block away.

Brazos for the River? Or Washington-on-the-Brazos?

The rest sound like names, but I understand Main Street B) .

I thought they were named after the originally roads and the destination they ended up at... Like Dallas, Austin, McKinney, Louisiana, Crawford, maybe Travis?

Would Texas Avenue be named in such a way because the original capital building (Where the Rice Hotel is now) was there? Capitol is a block away.

Brazos for the River? Or Washington-on-the-Brazos?

The rest sound like names, but I understand Main Street B) .

Of course a lot of the streets are named after people who played a role in the Texas struggle for independence, like Travis, Milam, Fannin. We were really amused to see at the Alamo that there was actually somebody named Main at the Alamo, so perhaps Main St is named after this gentleman :D ...

i thought houston was older than dallas, just cause houston has so much more grit and history as far as the civil war, slavery, just the whole southern appeal, anyone kno for sure?

Didn't someone on this forum say that Houston was founded in 1838-39? If it was, then that was two years before John Neely Bryan was in what became Dallas in 1841.

It was in 1836. Incorporated in 1837 I believe (same as Chicago btw, although the town of Chicago was organized in 1833). But Harrisburg was founded around 1825. Also, the Bryan who founded Dallas was not the same one Bryan, Tx, was named after, since Bryan, Tx, was founded when Neely Bryan was 11 yrs old.

Archived