Billy Preston, singer/songwriter, Houston native dies

What a sad day. :( Billy Preston was a true talent and helped The Beatles through some great albums. Truly a huge loss for Rock N Roll. Glad to hear his passing was peaceful.

On a side note, I had no idea he was from Houston. And here I was thinking I was the biggest Beatles fan anywhere.

What a sad day. :( Billy Preston was a true talent and helped The Beatles through some great albums. Truly a huge loss for Rock N Roll. Glad to hear his passing was peaceful.

On a side note, I had no idea he was from Houston. And here I was thinking I was the biggest Beatles fan anywhere.

I was not sure who he was. He was obviously superfly.

preston_02.jpg

Guest danax

I lived a couple of blocks away from him in Topanga Canyon in '80-'83 (I was not rich, but rather was a poor musician/gardener living in a trailer on the estate of rich guy along with others who rented the other 3 houses. Artist Michael Bedard lived on the property too (I smoked many a joint with him, gave him guitar lessons, and critiqued his famous duck paintings like "First Ducks on Mars" and "Sitting Ducks", the inspiration of that one being members of the band Supertramp, who were newcomers/locals and lived down the hill, as they sat around their pool)).

I don't mean to sound like I'm dropping names but this was a great time in my life and hearing of Billy Preston sent me instantly back there in my mind.

Billy drove a green Rolls but you'd hardly see him at the store or around. Then I heard later about some problems he had with some workers that sort of hurt his reputation.

I didn't know he was from Houston either.

I lived a couple of blocks away from him in Topanga Canyon in '80-'83 (I was not rich, but rather was a poor musician/gardener living in a trailer on the estate of rich guy along with others who rented the other 3 houses. Artist Michael Bedard lived on the property too (I smoked many a joint with him, gave him guitar lessons, and critiqued his famous duck paintings like "First Ducks on Mars" and "Sitting Ducks", the inspiration of that one being members of the band Supertramp, who were newcomers/locals and lived down the hill, as they sat around their pool)).

I didn't know he was from Houston either.

What a cool experience. Youth !!! Nothing like it.

Not to question your memories, but I thought Supertramp was a 70's band. Maybe they made it big with Breakfast in America. I guess that was right about that time.

Guest danax
What a cool experience. Youth !!! Nothing like it.

Not to question your memories, but I thought Supertramp was a 70's band. Maybe they made it big with Breakfast in America. I guess that was right about that time.

By newcomers I meant that they had just arrived in Topanga I think the year before I did, in '79. They had come from England and Breakfast was already a huge hit.

Yeah, those were great memories but I accomplished little. Oh well. Looking back, I suppose my first hint of my bizarre fate to end up in Houston would've been when Michael showed me one of his first works for sale, the pre-duck, "Hello Houston".

11vr412.jpg

Even then, Houston couldn't avoid being associated with the whimsical and profane.

Artist Michael Bedard lived on the property too (I smoked many a joint with him, gave him guitar lessons, and critiqued his famous duck paintings like "First Ducks on Mars" and "Sitting Ducks", the inspiration of that one being members of the band Supertramp, who were newcomers/locals and lived down the hill, as they sat around their pool)).

Sorry to hear about Billy Preston. So much of my teenage years involved his music.

On a different note, Bedard's Sitting Duck has graced my wall for close to 20 years. :D

Archived