Metro - Reliable Schedules, etc? A practical question

I'm working a summer job in Houston and would like to ride the bus (if possible). I'm living in Garden Oaks and work at Uptown Park. One would think that because of the proximity of the two areas of town (it's less than 6.5 miles from my front door to my office) that utilizing mass transit would be easy - I've found it to be nothing but confusing.

Using Metro's routebuilder, my shortest trip is 77 minutes. However, if I do a little "jimmying" with the criteria and build 2 trips, one from Uptown Park to the NW Transit Center and the other from the Transit Center to 43rd and Ella, my time drops considerably to around 50 minutes.

This second option, however, would mean a couple close windows on transfers, i.e. 4-5 minutes. Do Metro buses generally run on schedule? Would it be foolish to expect on time buses every morning and afternoon?

Also, if anyone rides the 286 from Post Oak and Hollyhurst to the NW Transit Center, could you tell me how long that trip usually takes with all of the construction and ramp closures on the West Loop northbound?

I appreciate any advice.

Wow. 6.5 miles in 50 minutes. That's almost 1 mile per hour. No wonder people drive. If Metro can't come up with better service than that, they're never going to get people off the roads.

One day I rode the 88 from UH all the way out to San Jacinto College, about 12 miles as the crow flies. It takes over a hour to get out there on whats usually a 15 minute trip. This was on an off-peak time! I can see why they demoted it to a Limited service because, even going to Hobby takes forever.

A connection to Fuqua P&R or even a new local bus route between Clear Lake and San Jac South would probably be well patronized by students, especially international ones. Also the connection to the Gulf Commuter Routes would offer an alternative to parking at UH for students who travel back and forth from San Jac.

One day I rode the 88 from UH all the way out to San Jacinto College, about 12 miles as the crow flies. It takes over a hour to get out there on whats usually a 15 minute trip. This was on an off-peak time! I can see why they demoted it to a Limited service because, even going to Hobby takes forever.

A connection to Fuqua P&R or even a new local bus route between Clear Lake and San Jac South would probably be well patronized by students, especially international ones. Also the connection to the Gulf Commuter Routes would offer an alternative to parking at UH for students who travel back and forth from San Jac.

I have often wondered if METRO consults students when they plan the bus routes/times around-to-near colleges and universities..........

Wow. 6.5 miles in 50 minutes. That's almost 1 mile per hour. No wonder people drive. If Metro can't come up with better service than that, they're never going to get people off the roads.

Huh?

That's 7.8 mph. Not great, but better than six and a half hours, which really WOULD be 1 mph.

Metro usually runs on time with excellent service, especially the closer you get to the city core.

The construction on 59 had caused extra congestion on W. Alabama and Richmond and this slowed down service a bit. But they roughly held the same schedules.

Overall, they do come at the schedule that is issued, but like all things, it pays to be a bit early to the bus stop by a few minutes.

In regards to it taking a long time to travel a few miles, the other alternative is to walk. Like all things in life, there are tradeoffs.

Metro's schedules vary depending on the time of day. In the morning, they tend to run closer to schedule, especially if you're at the beginning of a route. i've found that during peak periods they don't, most likely due to high traffic.

Yesterday afternoon I was supposed to catch a 3pm bus and it didn't arrive til 3:15 and i needed to be downtown by 3:50 to catch the IAH express. luckily i only had to walk 1 block cause the IAH express was about 3 blocks away.