Fujitsu 17" laptop

I'm partial to what I got a few months ago:

an HP Pavillion DV4000.

The only thing I did different was nuke it. twice.

Installed XP Pro and just enough drivers to make this thing work properly. I then saved it as a backup.

Then I installed all the IM stuff, my Net Stuff and mail stuff. Then I saved it as a recovery point.

Runs like a champ. when it bogs down, I just take it to the last recovery point and it screams again. :)

I'm partial to what I got a few months ago:

an HP Pavillion DV4000.

We have a bunch of HP machines at work. I'm totally not impressed. If you're looking for something and you don't care about build quality, just save your money and get a dell.

I've been using IBM ThinkPads since 1996. I'm only on my second one. They're that durable.

Thinkpads have a very good reputation, though I don't know if that's being maintained since they were sold by IBM to Lenovo.

HP, Dell, Toshiba -- we have them all at work. Many different models. All suck.

As great as laptops are, half of them is the screen -- very fragile. This is the only purchase for which I would recommend an extended service contract. A good one, too. That means checking it out and buying from a more expensive store if necessary.

Thinkpads have a very good reputation, though I don't know if that's being maintained since they were sold by IBM to Lenovo.

I ordered a T42p about 6 months after the switchover. I wasn't in the least disappointed. Of course this machine was 100% IBM engineered since it was designed before the switchover, but it was built under the rule of Lenovo.

Now I would stay away from the new 3000 series machines. Those appear to be standard issue el-cheapo crap.

does anyone have any info on an inspiron 9400? im looking for a laptop that will have its own cd-rom/burner and dual processor for around $1000. im not too concerned about how durable it is physically since most of the time it will be in my apartment. any suggestions from some tech savvy people?

does anyone have any info on an inspiron 9400? im looking for a laptop that will have its own cd-rom/burner and dual processor for around $1000. im not too concerned about how durable it is physically since most of the time it will be in my apartment. any suggestions from some tech savvy people?

i think you meant dual "core" processor since i don't think anyone makes dual processor laptop... i think dell's laptops in general are fine. they have better customer service, i heard.

Edited by Spencer Street

I love Dell computers for the work place. That is all I order for my company with either the 3 or 4 year protection. I sell the protection as you could throw this at the CEO and Dell would fix it coverage. Only have had to have Dell come out twice in two years to look / replace some parts on the same laptop. Good stuff.

Scharpe St Guy

ps... I really like the Sony Laptops personally for my own individual use. Dell introduced a new small form factor laptop on there consumer line but it still doesn't match the Sony's.

i think you meant dual "core" processor since i don't think anyone makes dual processor laptop... i think dell's laptops in general are fine. they have better customer service, i heard.

If you don't care about durability, then just buy whatever is on sale that has the specs you want.