Hi all

I have a house in Norhill and have some drainage issues that results in water collecting under the house. Sound familiar? Here's the problem. On the north side of the house, I have about 2.5 feet betwen my neighbors chain link fence. MY neighbor has some sort of slower garden that lines their driveway on their side of the chain link fence. They have pavers up against the link fence that seem to trap the water in my 2.5' alley-way along the north side of my house. I know that I need som drainage help on that side of the house, but I don't think the pavers are helping my situation. What results is the water on that side of the house finds the lowest point under my house.

Can anyone refer me to a landscaper or some sort of handyman that can assess the situation for me?

I guess once I figure out how the pavers might be affecting the situation I'll take the appropiate action (neighborly of course!). When I pointed out the pavers to my neighbor, she quickly pointed out that it was her property...nice going!!!

Mike

Hi all

I have a house in Norhill and have some drainage issues that results in water collecting under the house. Sound familiar? Here's the problem. On the north side of the house, I have about 2.5 feet betwen my neighbors chain link fence. MY neighbor has some sort of slower garden that lines their driveway on their side of the chain link fence. They have pavers up against the link fence that seem to trap the water in my 2.5' alley-way along the north side of my house. I know that I need som drainage help on that side of the house, but I don't think the pavers are helping my situation. What results is the water on that side of the house finds the lowest point under my house.

Can anyone refer me to a landscaper or some sort of handyman that can assess the situation for me?

I guess once I figure out how the pavers might be affecting the situation I'll take the appropiate action (neighborly of course!). When I pointed out the pavers to my neighbor, she quickly pointed out that it was her property...nice going!!!

Mike

I assuming your house is pier and beam? We had a similar problem-not due to a neighbor's thoughtlessness-so we built a berm around the house. It survived Allison and has worked since.

Someone else here may have more info than we do because it's no longer a problem for us but I understand it is illegal for a neighbor to divert water onto an adjacent property.

B)

Many old properties have similar drainage problems. Mine resulted from water coming from the roof. The entire area under the house would be flooded with water. I was fortunate that my yard is several feet higher than the curb so I could at least drain the water somewhere.

Does any of the water come from your roof? A sizeable amount of water falls from my roof which was my main problem. i ended up installing gutters which at least caught the water but then i had to figure out how to keep it from going under. I then installed an underground drainage system out of 4" pvc which has an entry point under each gutter downspout. I also was able to install a few yard drains.

I also changed the terrain around the house so that the dirt slopes away from the house in the areas that were particularly bad.

sounds like you might need a french drain of some sorts but you have to have somewhere to drain the water, ideally routing it to the curb is the best solution. Is your house considerably higher than the street?

You've got a pretty big project ahead of you!

Hi all

Mike

Jose Mortez (832-541-4617) installed a drain for me at my house on Nicholson. He also does general landscaping. I would highly recommend him. Great work at reasonable prices.

If you have no other drainage issues and your house is high enough, another alternative is to have bank sand pumped in under you house. It is a much more permanant solution than a drain that can clog over time. If you do this however, you would want to make sure the water in your backyard is draining down the sides of your yard. If you neighbors have seen fit to elevate their side, you may be draining their backyard through your side yard and under your house. If that was the case, you could report them to the city.

I too have an abyss under my house. How does pumping fill under the house work? Do you have any references and/or estimtated costs?

I understand that people who install swimming pools have the equipment to blow sand under a house. In my case, new construction, they put the sand about 18-inches high in the center and sloped out to the perimeter.

Hi Northwood, I don't have references or costs. The process, however, is that water and sand are mixed together and pumped as a slushy mixture under a house. Gravity takes care of the water, leaving the sand.

Be advised that the neighborhood cats may decide to use the sand under yourhouse as a litter box...

• 2 weeks later...
Northwood - have you received any estimates on the sand blowing solution? I also got this same piece of advice from Taom Tainon, who is on 610am on the weekends that runs a call in show for home repairs.

Let me know!

Mike

That's Tom Tynan on 610. He received a phone call recently on his radio show asking about the cost to do this. He suggested that they call a pool company for an estimate.

Hello all again....

I have a link to some pictures I'd like some feedback on! They are pics of the alley side of my house where my neighbor has blocked the natural flow of water from my house. I've just installed gutters which help, and I know that there is a significant low spot near my chimney that I need to correct. I will be trenshing toward the street and will do some sand/paver work to help with the grade. My issue is that my neighbor adamantly disagrees that her flower bed edgers are acting as a dam keeping the water from flowing naturally in a lateral flow.

If I need the city to look at this situation, who should I call? Anyone with a contact name and number??

If anyone is interested in looking at the pics, I need to send you a link to the Yahjoo photo album...or uyou can just click on the link below...

http://photos.yahoo.com/mikeanderson_1999

Hello all again....

I have a link to some pictures I'd like some feedback on! They are pics of the alley side of my house where my neighbor has blocked the natural flow of water from my house. I've just installed gutters which help, and I know that there is a significant low spot near my chimney that I need to correct. I will be trenshing toward the street and will do some sand/paver work to help with the grade. My issue is that my neighbor adamantly disagrees that her flower bed edgers are acting as a dam keeping the water from flowing naturally in a lateral flow.

If I need the city to look at this situation, who should I call? Anyone with a contact name and number??

If anyone is interested in looking at the pics, I need to send you a link to the Yahjoo photo album...or uyou can just click on the link below...

If your neighbor has diverted water on to your property or has otherwise prevented water to drain, then I understand that is a violation of city ordinances.

The main number for Public Works is 713.837.0050.

I suggest you contact them regarding ordinace violations and also email the mayor, all at-large council members and your own council member. I have found this to be very effective in making ordinance violators comply.

B)

Hello all again....

Unfortunately, you'll end up losing this. if water from their property was coming onto yours that is one thing, however it is YOUR water that you're trying to move to the street. If the flower beds were removed, then your water would be going to their property which would be a violation of the building code.