Memorial Day Grilling

editor

I'm listening to the cooking show on WGN radio in Chicago. They've been talking about Memorial Day grilling all day. A topic the callers seem very interested in is preparing "Texas Style" brisket. A guest from one of the local culinary colleges says the difference between regular brisket and Texas brisket is rubbing the outside with a mixture of salt, pepper, and cayenne pepper before cooking.

So, what are you cooking this weekend? And what's your secret recipe?

I'm listening to the cooking show on WGN radio in Chicago. They've been talking about Memorial Day grilling all day. A topic the callers seem very interested in is preparing "Texas Style" brisket. A guest from one of the local culinary colleges says the difference between regular brisket and Texas brisket is rubbing the outside with a mixture of salt, pepper, and cayenne pepper before cooking.

So, what are you cooking this weekend? And what's your secret recipe?

Texas style is slow cooked to the point of absolute tenderness! Thats the way BBQ should be done. As far as grilling, thats not Texas style :) Grilling is high heat or fire for short time, Texas style is low heat slow cooking over a period of hours.

Texas style is slow cooked to the point of absolute tenderness! Thats the way BBQ should be done. As far as grilling, thats not Texas style :) Grilling is high heat or fire for short time, Texas style is low heat slow cooking over a period of hours.

That was part of what they were saying -- indirect heat. 250 degrees. 12 hours. Sounds like a giant pain in the butt.

I am about to go to Kroger's and get some fajita meat and some Velveeta, and let the feast begin.

I put a 10 lb brisket in the oven at 1 am today at 200 degrees. I took it out at 12 noon, basted it and popped it back in at 350 for another 1 1/2 hours. It is now a little after 5 pm and it's all gone thanks to 6 friends and the 2 of us. They wanted to know if there was more so I showed them the left-over fat and then fed it to my neighbors dog. Cook it Slooooooooooowwwwwwwwwww-fat side up and you'll have a day like we had today! :D

B)

We usually buy a 2-pack of pork butts at Sam's. I cut off the big chunks of each butt to cube for green chili stew. Rather than cut the meat off the bone, which is not the easiest thing to do, I freeze the bone portion to cook as a small roast.

Yesterday, I smoked one of those roasts plus a rack of BBB Ribs. That was some good eatin'! We will have the leftovers today.

We usually buy a 2-pack of pork butts at Sam's. I cut off the big chunks of each butt to cube for green chili stew. Rather than cut the meat off the bone, which is not the easiest thing to do, I freeze the bone portion to cook as a small roast.

Yesterday, I smoked one of those roasts plus a rack of BBB Ribs. That was some good eatin'! We will have the leftovers today.

Use that bone to make a stock for soup!!!!!

Archived