Need recommendation on mod remodeler

grayhomes

I am looking to remove a wall in my house between the ridiculously tiny sunken living (actually an accident waiting to happen next to the entry) and tiny non-sunken dining and the den. i love sunken living areas, but literally 2 feet from the front door is not good... and way too small to be practical. This will require someone who can do the calculation to install a drop beam across a span of about 18 ft. We are looking to do a mod interior with a very open kitchen/den/flex space.

Any recommendation on who can remove this wall, install the beam, and restructure accordingly. Also, the "kitchen has got to be gutted (from previous remodel as it was a rental for awhile). After that, i have contractors for everything else. Any recommendations?? Specifically for someone who understands homes in the southwest/sharpstown area.

Thanks for your help!!

I am looking to remove a wall in my house between the ridiculously tiny sunken living (actually an accident waiting to happen next to the entry) and tiny non-sunken dining and the den. i love sunken living areas, but literally 2 feet from the front door is not good... and way too small to be practical. This will require someone who can do the calculation to install a drop beam across a span of about 18 ft. We are looking to do a mod interior with a very open kitchen/den/flex space.

Any recommendation on who can remove this wall, install the beam, and restructure accordingly. Also, the "kitchen has got to be gutted (from previous remodel as it was a rental for awhile). After that, i have contractors for everything else. Any recommendations?? Specifically for someone who understands homes in the southwest/sharpstown area.

Thanks for your help!!

Do you speak Spanish? If so i've got a guy for you. Good work and reasonable.

Sounds like you don't need a mod remodeler, you just need someone to do some demolition and opening up a wall. Most contractors here can easily do that. If I were you, I'd wait until the week before heavy trash and just do the demolition yourself, including removing the sheetrock from the wall you want to get rid of.

They didn't do anything having to do with knocking walls down in my house, so I have no direct experience, but they did seem to have a good person for every job.

They are at least worth a call. They will be honest if it's something they can't/won't do.

That's neat to know you hired them as well! I still have to get out to Allison's place to see what they have done there. They are making quite a name for themselves, it seems. Had I known all this would happen for them, I'd have asked for a finder's fee, ha ha!

Jason

I think that I am using the same guys as Jason.

Champion Contractors 713-898-9817

They haven't started my work yet but I hear good things.

I'm in need of renovations myself. The wood in my porch is rotted and needs replacing. Currently its overlapping planks, and I want to use materials yielding a smoother look. I want to keep with the mod look, so hardie planks is not an option. What do you guys recommend? Also, is this a job for Champion Contractors or do you guys have other contractors? Thanks.

They didn't do anything having to do with knocking walls down in my house, so I have no direct experience, but they did seem to have a good person for every job.

They are at least worth a call. They will be honest if it's something they can't/won't do.

That's neat to know you hired them as well! I still have to get out to Allison's place to see what they have done there. They are making quite a name for themselves, it seems. Had I known all this would happen for them, I'd have asked for a finder's fee, ha ha!

Jason

I'm in need of renovations myself. The wood in my porch is rotted and needs replacing. Currently its overlapping planks, and I want to use materials yielding a smoother look. I want to keep with the mod look, so hardie planks is not an option. What do you guys recommend? Also, is this a job for Champion Contractors or do you guys have other contractors? Thanks.

While having Champion Contractors work on my garage/laundry room rebuild I used Land Resource Management (Leo Hernandez) for the landscape work 713-541-3544. He was recommended by Champion and his firm relocated the infamous sprinkler controls that the PO mounted on the FRONT ELEVATION of our house! I was going to have a covered patio built in our backyard but our budget ran out before we could consider it. That might explain why DH and I were digging out dirt and laying sod ourselves last weekend :). Leo doesn't specialize in mid-century modern but he's enthusiastic about doing work that isn't the "norm". Of course you don't necessarily need a landscape contractor to rebuild a porch so I apologize in advance if this is not what you're looking for.

Allison

Shin'enKan - "home of the faraway heart"

I may be in need of a landscaper so Leo may prove to be helpful. Recently, my dad and I pulled about 100 pavers in the backyard, tilled/laid topsoil and laid down 3 pallets of sod.. It was painful, but well worth the effort. I should have gotten a sprinkler system installed also, but funds were running low... Anyways, todays rain should help the grass.

While having Champion Contractors work on my garage/laundry room rebuild I used Land Resource Management (Leo Hernandez) for the landscape work 713-541-3544. He was recommended by Champion and his firm relocated the infamous sprinkler controls that the PO mounted on the FRONT ELEVATION of our house! I was going to have a covered patio built in our backyard but our budget ran out before we could consider it. That might explain why DH and I were digging out dirt and laying sod ourselves last weekend :). Leo doesn't specialize in mid-century modern but he's enthusiastic about doing work that isn't the "norm". Of course you don't necessarily need a landscape contractor to rebuild a porch so I apologize in advance if this is not what you're looking for.

Allison

Shin'enKan - "home of the faraway heart"

While having Champion Contractors work on my garage/laundry room rebuild I used Land Resource Management (Leo Hernandez) for the landscape work 713-541-3544.

I should say that the person I worked with is Leo Martinez, not Hernandez. Sorry for any confusion.

Allison

Champion did some amazing work on our siding. We were lucky we didn't need more siding done. I was insistant on getting as close to the original siding as we could, and unfortunately that was not easy, but he found something that ended up being only an 8th of an inch off and cedar (instead of redwood). You can only tell it's different if I point it out to you or you're really looking for it.

Leo did our tree removal and trimming. He was good for that job because it was a big tree and he was bonded, but as far as small jobs and general landscaping, I've used Robert Searcy's recommendation, Rod Warner 832-250-6194. He has very reasonable rates, but works for himself only on weekends as he has a full time job in landscaping for apartment complexes. He is really good at making a little money go a long way, but he also did some more expensive jobs (the giant timber bamboo) for me.

He doesn't know specifically about MCM landscaping, but he can get a good basic look. You could look through 50's magazines and find the look you want and go from there with him if you really want to look 50's. I'll try to get a couple of pics uploaded for you to see.

Jason

I should say that the person I worked with is Leo Martinez, not Hernandez. Sorry for any confusion.

Allison

DSC04732.jpg

The Sago Palm was already there, so we made it the centerpiece and worked around it. The pathways are crushed granite. I use them every day now and they suprisingly don't track into the house (well, sometimes).

Jason