Building Addition Question

Hello:

Excuse me for the intrusion - I have never posted but lurk around from time to time.

I am a resident of Norhill Heights - my wife and I wish to add on to the back of our house. However, it is not clear to me if there are restrictions regarding the building setback for the side of the house. The particular side in question is presently about 2 feet from the property line, and we wish to add straight off the back, so the new addition will also be 2 feet from the side property line. We are not on a corner lot.

My question is, where can I find out how close the addition can be? My deed has no restrictions regarding this. Can I get an official yes or no from someone in the city? The addition will be far enough from the back of the property to be OK (deed does say something about that) and we already have our

Certificate of Appropriateness and OK from Proctor Plaza Assoc.

Thanks.

Hello:

Excuse me for the intrusion - I have never posted but lurk around from time to time.

I am a resident of Norhill Heights - my wife and I wish to add on to the back of our house. However, it is not clear to me if there are restrictions regarding the building setback for the side of the house. The particular side in question is presently about 2 feet from the property line, and we wish to add straight off the back, so the new addition will also be 2 feet from the side property line. We are not on a corner lot.

My question is, where can I find out how close the addition can be? My deed has no restrictions regarding this. Can I get an official yes or no from someone in the city? The addition will be far enough from the back of the property to be OK (deed does say something about that) and we already have our

Certificate of Appropriateness and OK from Proctor Plaza Assoc.

Thanks.

The City inspector is not the person you should be talking to. With respect to setbacks, your neighborhood's deed restrictions should be the governing document that mentions front/side and rear setbacks and perhaps any easements. You could go downtown as well and look this up however your civic club/association should be able to help you quickly. I did find the underlined sentence on the heights website If you have any questions concerning deed restrictions, please call at 713-861-4002 ext. 1 or e-mail deedrestrictions@houstonheights.org. I'd start there first...then you could call the legal department 7 247 2000 who would be able to tell you whether your particular piece of property is restricted. however they usually have to do research.

Each neighborhood has different restrictions. For instance i have 5 ft side setbacks while my parents neighborhood has 10 ft. There is no standard setback.

Called the inspector. Number is on the City of Houston website somewhere, hours are 7-8am.

He said 3 feet is OK. You can also do 2 feet BUT you need a "1 hour wall" which is more fire resistant, and you can't have glass pane windows - glass block is OK. Eaves can't drain onto a neighboring property.

Of course other deed restrictions apply regarding front and rear setbacks.

Called the inspector. Number is on the City of Houston website somewhere, hours are 7-8am.

He said 3 feet is OK. You can also do 2 feet BUT you need a "1 hour wall" which is more fire resistant, and you can't have glass pane windows - glass block is OK. Eaves can't drain onto a neighboring property.

Of course other deed restrictions apply regarding front and rear setbacks.

You should send the information that the inspector gave you to your councilmember, adrian garcia. I'll bet he'd love to hear that inspectors are making rulings as to what does and does not violate deed restrictions. Many areas of the city are complaining about permits being issued in violation of deed restrictions. as a result, various districts are having meetings on this subject. ours was last night. They basically talked deed restrictions/violations of building codes and the members of the legal department concurred that they have the "final" say as to what does or does not violate deed restrictions. They in turn direct the inspector to allow or halt construction. They said that anything that may be questionable should be directed to legal department. Best of luck!

My deed restrictions say nothing about building setbacks on the side of the property, only the front and back. So only city codes apply here.

Usually, building lines are shown on your subdivision plat...the legally recorded document that subdivided a piece of land into lots and public rights-of-way. The plat will show utility easements, ROW's, building lines, etc. that were recorded with the plat.

Probably the best place for you to find your building setback lines is on the survey that was performed when you purchased your house.

The minimum side setback in Norhill is 3'. Even though your home is already 2' from the property line, to continue back in the same plane will require a variance. A variance will be hard to get. I think you are also in the Historic District which may complicate matters further; not to mention the 1 hour wall requirement.

You might try going to the planning department with your survey (6th floor of building at 611 Walker) and ask the "planner of the day" for guidance. They may be able to outline a procedure for you to follow and comment on the overall feasability of your project/building line, etc.

My deed restrictions say nothing about building setbacks on the side of the property, only the front and back. So only city codes apply here.

The restrictions may not say it explicitly but may use phrases as "as originally plattted" or something similar. You then must obtain a plat as OTC recommends below. The last two civic clubs i was involved with all had copies and were more than willing to let you use it. I think you're just about there. Good luck.

Usually, building lines are shown on your subdivision plat...the legally recorded document that subdivided a piece of land into lots and public rights-of-way. The plat will show utility easements, ROW's, building lines, etc. that were recorded with the plat.

Probably the best place for you to find your building setback lines is on the survey that was performed when you purchased your house.

• The title was changed to Building Addition Question