Cypresswood And Northampton

MDay

We are planning to move to Houston in the summer and would like to buy a house. I have gathered a wealth of information on different neighborhoods by reading posts in this forum but I would like more information specifically about Cypresswood and Northampton subdivisions. Our budget is around 150000 and I prefer the older houses with character. We would also like to be in a lower tax neighborhood. I have read the information on the schools that are zoned to these neighborhoods and they look good. I am leaning towards Cypresswood because of the schools. My concern is the future of this neighborhoods especially Cypresswood which is close to Louetta. Do I have any reason to be concerned? We have been to Houston once last year and drove around the area. I just remember a lot of construction going on.

If anyone could suggest other subdivisions that we could look into, it would be really appreciated.

I think Northampton is zoned to Klein Oak, so you're good there. Northampton is also fairly wooded. Correct me if I'm wrong, but Cypresswood has some newer sections? Are they zoned to Klein Collins?

You may also wish to check out the Lakewood area, close to 249 and Louetta (Hewlett Packard campus). There's a big new upscale mixed-use shopping center going up nearby called The Vintage. Lakewood is another heavily wooded area, you're in Cy-Fair Schools (and Tomball ISD on the right). Avg Household Income for this area is $120,000/yr, and there are a good number of choices of nice older homes on larger lots with a bunch of trees in your price range.

HAR is a great resource for finding home listings w/photos all over the Greater Houston area.

http://www.har.com

Other neighborhoods to check out, Spring Creek Oaks, Memorial NW, and Champions West.

Champions West in particular (one of the original Champions neighborhoods is located by one of the top Golf courses in the country, Champions GC) has a lot of character. It is heavily wooded with big 10-12,000 sq. ft lots and nice older homes that have been kept up and renovated. You may find some good buys in your price range there. They're zoned to CFISD (Cy-Creek), located in the heart of the shopping/dining areas around Champions and Willowbrook, with good access to Hwy 249 and the Tollway.

Edited by mrfootball

My parents haved lived in Cypresswood since we moved to Texas in 1977. Good, solid neighborhood. It is zoned to Klein Collins. Since it is so close to Collins, it is not likely to ever be zoned to another school. Cypresswood butts up against Cypress Creek on the south. There is no access road across the creek, and there appears to be no push to build one. Most all of the land around it has been built out, with some of the land east of Cypresswood, as well as north of it on Louetta being rather expensive.

Louetta itself doesn't seem to be a problem. The only question I would have is Cypressdale, next door. The homes are smaller, therefore a bit less expensive. But, it seems to have held up well. In fact, I think the quality of resident there now is better than when I lived in Cypreswood in the 70s and early 80s.

It is often said that Cypress Creek divides the nicer neighborhoods from the dicier ones, and that definitely seems to be the case here. All of the neighborhoods along Cypresswood Drive are in good shape.

Hi MDay & welcome to the forum!

I live in Northampton and would be happy to answer any and all questions regarding Northampton.

Feel free to PM me all you want!

Living in Northampton for us has many advantages:

Northampton Elementary, Hildebrandt Intermediate and Klein Oak High School are all located next to each other and right across the street from Northampton, so the school commute is only minutes.

Northampton has several tennis courts complete with an on-site tennis instructor and student and adult league teams, two neighborhood pools home to the Northampton Cudas swim team which boasts 200 swimmers this summer season, several neighborhood parks loaded with the newest in playground equipment, several walking trails interconnected with Spring Creek & Willow Creek, covered pavillions for parties, weight rooms, duck and fish ponds, huge lots filled with old growth trees, streets filled with kids riding bikes and people jogging at all hours of the day, an on-site golf course for members only called Willow Creek Golf Club, and easy access to the Woodlands just over the Gosling Road bridge in the back of the neighborhood where you can be at the Woodlands Mall & Market Street in under ten minutes, very active home owner associations that host an event for the neighborhood once a month, a seperate maintenance board governed by Chaparral Management to maintain the upkeep here (Cypresswood just fired Chaparral, I believe, so if you don't care for management companies, Cypresswood would be a good choice for you), a seperate MUD (municipal utility district) with very knowledgeable folks on all these boards that really work hard to maintain a very high quality of life in Northampton. Once you're here, you will understand why people love living here.

Thank you all very much for the feedback. I think I feel better about looking at these two neighborhoods now. They seem to be very good areas because just by looking at the listings in HAR, the nicer and bigger houses within the price range of $150,000 and below are all taken.

I know that the area of Cypresswood is between Louetta and Cypresswood Dr but what are its boundaries on the east and west? Is there a map online somewhere for the neighborhood of Cypresswood? I looked up Cypressdale and that area seems to be closer to Kuykendahl. I have seen some houses on HAR that are in the area of where Cypressdale is and they say they are in Cypresswood, too.

Welcome. If it's not that much longer of a commute, go with Northampton for the much better long-term real estate value. Cypresswood is along a stretch of Kuykendahl that is "changing" (and not for the better). I know this because, up until last year, I lived just blocks from Cypresswood. And I still visit it almost every weekend because my kids still have friends there. So I see up-close what has been happening with that stretch of Kuykendahl and the neighborhoods along it.

The only possible issue with Northampton is the Grand Parkway, and while I think personally think it's a hugely overhyped non-issue, sometimes the panic over silly things can cause real effects in people's behavior.

I've researced both these areas closely in recent years in deciding where to move. I recommend Northampton over Cypresswood hands-down. Good luck in your move.

• 3 weeks later...
Hey redscare, your from cypresswood...you guys know the woods family, they live up on coltwood st. they had 2 daughters, and those are my cousins...

Not sure if I knew those Woods. I knew some Woods that had a couple of sons. I also had some good friends a block over, on Chapel Square.

heh...I just got back from Cypresswood. Went to have lunch with Mom and Dad for Mother's Day. That subdivision has aged well. When I moved there in 1977, our house was in the middle of a pasture. Now, it's full of mature trees.

Edited by RedScare

• 3 weeks later...

Congratulations on your upcoming arrival! Is this your first?

As far as the DEIS goes, we have received confirmation that the analysis into routes into southern Montgomery County have been as fully evaluated as those first proposed solely in Harris County. (This analysis was clearly missing from the other DEIS, hence the need for a Revised DEIS in the first place.) The need for the route in the southern Montgomery County has been shown to be greater than here in northern Harris County; it's just a matter of where the route can be located. However, with the rapid building in northern Harris County, it is no longer a "done deal" to say that it could be more easily located here than there. Also, another consideration is of course, the funding. HCTRA has said repeatedly that they are not interested in doing all the design & build work, only to receive a pittance of the profits. We've heard that they were offered only 5% of the profits, with the rest to go to the cash-starved TxDOT. Cintra has been mentioned as a funding partner, but they've got their hands full lately too, trying to appease wary homeowners trying to figure out the secret contractual agreements within the Trans-Texas Corridor mess. As we hear more, we will post it here, and congratulations again to you & your wife! :)

Congratulations ENGcons!! How wonderful!! Our baby just turned one over the weekend and we are so in love! :wub:

Pineda, guess what I am doing today?!?! Looking at a house in Northampton. :D It looks great on HAR; needs some work, but the lot is fantastic (28K sq ft heavily wooded) and the house is contemporary, very open, natural, etc...so I am going to check it out and see what all it really needs. I am also going to check out a couple in The Woodlands. I'd be interested in heading to that hearing if I can. I checked out the Grand Parkway site and it's hard to tell which alignments are really in the running on the F-2 segment. Is it E?

As far as the DEIS goes, we have received confirmation that the analysis into routes into southern Montgomery County have been as fully evaluated as those first proposed solely in Harris County. (This analysis was clearly missing from the other DEIS, hence the need for a Revised DEIS in the first place.) The need for the route in the southern Montgomery County has been shown to be greater than here in northern Harris County; it's just a matter of where the route can be located.

Just curious... why doesn't the Grand Parkway website show any alignments going into Montgomery County? If TxDot is evaluating different routes for F2, I would think that there would be proposed alignments going north of alignment f into Montgomery County.

Congratulations on your upcoming arrival! Is this your first?

As far as the DEIS goes, we have received confirmation that the analysis into routes into southern Montgomery County have been as fully evaluated as those first proposed solely in Harris County. (This analysis was clearly missing from the other DEIS, hence the need for a Revised DEIS in the first place.) The need for the route in the southern Montgomery County has been shown to be greater than here in northern Harris County; it's just a matter of where the route can be located. However, with the rapid building in northern Harris County, it is no longer a "done deal" to say that it could be more easily located here than there. Also, another consideration is of course, the funding. HCTRA has said repeatedly that they are not interested in doing all the design & build work, only to receive a pittance of the profits. We've heard that they were offered only 5% of the profits, with the rest to go to the cash-starved TxDOT. Cintra has been mentioned as a funding partner, but they've got their hands full lately too, trying to appease wary homeowners trying to figure out the secret contractual agreements within the Trans-Texas Corridor mess. As we hear more, we will post it here, and congratulations again to you & your wife! :)

Thanks it is our second actually. We have a three year old daughter, and this one due in July is a boy. We are very happy.

Good to know that they are at least looking into the Northern route instead of the current one. As it stands now I could lose part of my backyard to it. If it gets moved off the Boudreax Road path just east of 249 and goes north I will throw a party and everyone will be invited.

Drove out to Northampton today. I was TOTALLY impressed. It is so nice! It reminds me of Westchester, Nottingham Forest, Yorkshire, etc found in the Memorial area. Huge lots and big houses, but priced so reasonably it's kinda hard to believe. The front entry is very attractive, all the esplanades are perfectly groomed and quite lavish, heck, there was even kids selling lemonade at a stand right near the constables' substation (nice to have, btw). The speed limit is 20, and guess what? Everyone I saw was doing it! People were out taking care of their yards, chatting, etc. Lots of waving. :D

The trick with us is, can we get to the Sawdust Park-n-Ride for the Woodlands Express easily or would it be a huge pain? My whole reasoning to move to the Woodlands was to provide an equal or better commute than the one he has now (from the Hwy 6 P&R).

• The title was changed to Cypresswood And Northampton