Houston Air Tram

Throwing an idea out there:

So, after reading in the news earlier this week about how the Roosevelt Island Tram got stuck in NYC, stranding ppl for 6 hrs, I got to thinking.

Could Houston benefit from something like this ? ( The Tram, not the getting stuck )

The Roosevelt tram used to be the only way to get out to Roosevelt Island, but today it seems it used for sightseeing since it offers a great, cheap arial view of Manhattan. Its a little less than half a mile in length and the ride last about 4 minutes ( unless you get stuck). Each gondola accomodates 125 people, it makes roughly 115 trips per day, and at its heighest, cruises at 250 ft above the East River.

One of my favorite things to do at Astroworld ( R.I.P. ) was to relax in the air gondola for a few minutes and enjoy the view.

So my question is... Purely for a sightseeing, touristy purpose, similar to an observation tower.. Could this ever be feasible here? And if it were ever seriously on the table, and you could put forth your imput, where would you have it run to optimize the view, and what destinations would you have it connect ?

ny-tram-051903-03.jpg

It would be a fun way to get across the Houston Ship Channel instead of that bridge they're thinking about building between Galeveston Island and Point Bolivar. They make these things in sizes large enough to accomodate cars and trucks. They're not uncommon in Europe in that size.

And before anyone complains about the cost, consider that your tax dollars are already operating the Bolivar Ferry so everyone can ride free.

It would only really work if it took people to a destination where cars were not necessary. I can think of a few places in town where that is possible (galleria, museums) but not likely...as once we drop you off...you are likely stuck in the hot weather, and have to deal with walking to places while navigating around construction and traffic of peoople who didn't take the air ship!

I'm always encouraging of public transportation idea...but you get a lot of neat views of downtown from the ground already.

It would only really work if it took people to a destination where cars were not necessary. I can think of a few places in town where that is possible (galleria, museums) but not likely...as once we drop you off...you are likely stuck in the hot weather, and have to deal with walking to places while navigating around construction and traffic of peoople who didn't take the air ship!

I'm always encouraging of public transportation idea...but you get a lot of neat views of downtown from the ground already.

Maybe moving people across Westheimer between the Galleria and that very popular strip mall. Maybe that could be the next Galleria expansion.

We could have these, but so huge, you could fit 20 cars. They could go from the suburbs to Downtown, thus providing a bit of relief on traffic. :P Also, we could have those conveyer belts bringing in people from the suburbs. You step on, its slow, then as you pass on to the next belt, you go faster, until your on a belt going 80 mph. And of corse slowing down, but eventually reaching Downtown/Galleria/Reliant Park.

Did anyone see the movie Batman Begins? There's kind of an airborne train line in it.

Yeah, it's a double-decker version of Chicago's "El." Batman Begins was filmed in Chicago, and I got to watch a lot of it from my bedroom window. Freakin' helicopters kept me up all night for several weeks, though.

I made a web page about the filming of Batman Begins here about a year before the movie came out, with pictures I took from my window.