Hella postings

Lowbrow

My postings lately have taken a big hit. Promotion at work, having another child, selling 2 properties and buying another... all this has contributed. I am just amazed at some of your posting totals. I remember at one time being in the top 5 when tw2ntyse7en was still around. Now I'm back at 25th ranking and sliding fast.

Do you think content has suffered? Or is it just more content coming at us faster? Or just more opinion on said content?

I still really enjoy reading HAIF and try to turn my friends and associates on to it all the time. I'm here for good but I suppose I should just get used to being swallowed by the swarm of posts that has become HAIF.

Ciao~

ps. I just noticed that only 7 of the 24 ahead of me joined HAIF after me, interesting.

Do you think content has suffered? Or is it just more content coming at us faster? Or just more opinion on said content?

Very interesting questions.

I joined HAIF because of my interest in architecture. I wanted to learn more about the buildings which surround me in Houston, and to exchange ideas and opinions with like-minded people.

For better or worse, 'pure' architecture does not exist in a vacuum. Factors such as flooding, demographics, the market, traffic and transportation, and even politics continue to determine what gets built. Because of this, discussions are easily sidetracked from what might be strictly regarded as relevant to architecture. Some of it, at times, is even entertaining. And much no longer applies to architecture by any stretch.

My favorite posts continue to be those which display 'content', however that term might be defined. Moderators certainly have the ability to delete remarks which are not of general interest or lasting value - and this is regularly done on other sites. The tacit agreement among moderators here (most of us don't even know one another) is that only posts which are patently offensive or vulgar are edited or deleted. There are other occasions where moderation may be needed but for the most part, this forum has been largely self-regulating (for which I'm grateful).

HAIF could attempt to restrict itself to informational posts, and regularly delete the rest. Will members be offended if their posts don't make the cut? Or will a more uncluttered format be welcome?

I'd like to see HAIF continue to be a friendly, easy-going place to exchange ideas, but not to the point where people who have weightier things to contribute might be put off by the chatter. And I hope it doesn't become just another chatroom.

Comments?

personally, i think deleting some off topic posts would be beneficial in many topics (i.e. dallas topics and such) just to keep the discussion intellectual and on topic. as long as there is an off topic sort of thread so people can just be expressive and talk about whatever somewhere.

I came here to find out whats going on around Houston and try to learn things about architecture. i often just read the posts and try to take a lot of the information presented and form my own opinion or take it as a learning experience. I find that i dont post very often on topics because i dont really know much about what is being discussed but this site has been a great teacher to me and i hope to learn a lot more.

you just need to know when people are full of it

I like the fact that just about anything goes, but what I get tired of are the "yeah what he said" posts or "welcome to page xx!" posts. Its annoying to click "view new posts" and go to those threads and see that as the latest post. I think the political threads have slowed down slightly, for a while even talking about CVS would bring out the Conservative vs Liberal discussions. Overall, I am happy to see the number of new posters, hopefully it brings more and more good information, rather than ones like the prank letter someone put up about the Houston Pavilions a couple of days ago.

I like the fact that just about anything goes, but what I get tired of are the "yeah what he said" posts or "welcome to page xx!" posts. Its annoying to click "view new posts" and go to those threads and see that as the latest post.

I browse some other forums. A few over a validation system. It allows you to give + or - validation points to members for their posts, instead of replying with the same posts you mention above. This gives the moderators the freedom to delete those types of posts.

I PM'd Editor about it, but he told me that this forum software doesn't offer validation.

Archived