genealogy on-line

i am looking up a few folks that were either born, married or died here in texas.

i came across some old family letters and it seems ol' torvald had some family

from houston after all. if i do a search via google there is so much genealogy

info for sale it drowns out bonafied official free data. seems as if most of these

folks ended up somewhere in texas (and a few in california after the war's end).

from their ages i assume they are no longer living.

the only interesting thing i have found are marriage records of harris

county but they only go back so far. i figured someone here may have some

leads on where to get post-WWII data on birth, death and marriage info in general.

even if i do need to pay a small fee for it, i would be grateful for a recommendation.

Edited by torvald

Here's a few sites I've found to be helpful:

Social Security Death Index (SSDI) which is supplied by

RootsWeb.com, the oldest and largest free geneology site, which in turn is supported by

Ancestry.com, which provides some services for free. Some database searches are accessible to members only, and there is a fee.

The good news is that Ancestry.com can be used for free at the Clayton Library, which is located at 5300 Caroline, in the Museum District (across the street from the Holocaust Museum).

Texas Marriage Licences can be accessed at this site.

A word about SSDI - unless the death has been reported to the Social Security Administration, the records may not show up.

Hope you found this helpful.

edit: One other thing - if you're serious, be sure about your sources. A lot of amatuer geneologists make unwarrended assumptions, especially if they're seeking to show that they're decended from royalty or related to the rich or famous. I've run into that problem a lot in researching my Salem ancestors :D

another edit: Heck, this is so simple that it's often overlooked. Just drag out the phone book (or check Yahoo People Finder), search for that name, call people up and ask them. Worst they can do is hang up on you!

Edited by dbigtex56