Bearfire Resort (Was Ski Dallas! Coolzone Winterplex)

Well the concept of a "Dry Slope" is nothing new, they've had them overseas especially in the UK for years, Olympic atheletes used them for a long time to train durring the off season. Snowflex material is misted with water, so there is going to be some moisture on the slopes for one.

Second, your right, you dont go out there wearing your ski jacket, ski pants, goggles and beanie. You dress like someone would for skateboarding..

You wear bluejeans, which I think most Texans own, or some cargo pants, a hoodie, you can pull the sleeves up at the ends of the runs, and a pair of gloves, like you would use to go biking or skateboarding. Skateboarders wear this type of clothing all the time, even durring the summer.

Like you said, only a few runs, in the heat are you really going to make run after run all day long? Plus this isnt meant to replace a ski trip, its meant to allow people to practice, learn the basics, get some slope time even durring the off season. There are stories that there have been people who have never snowboarded, practiced on snowflex, went to a resort in the winter, and made it down runs without falling on the first try. Im curious as to how this material actually handles.

Also, when its ski season, I dont really want to hit a box, or a ramp, or pipe for the first time, I drive 900 miles to ski, if I break something my season is over, and I have a long drive home.

If I can try to practice those terrain features in the off season, thats a definite plus as well.

They are advertising night skiing as well, which isnt even offered at "real" ski resorts most places, and the website says 10-20 degrees cooler than surrounding temperatures.

I saw one place they mentioned a "real snowfall indoor experience" not for skiing but for kids, sledding ect.

I wait all year to go to Colorado and live in San Antonio, and I would be willing to drive to Dallas to get a few runs in every other month or so.

So now you have the opinion of a snowboarder.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think Ski Dallas Coolzone Winterplex and Bearfire Resort are the same projects, at least from the 2 renderings that I have seen. I reread this thread, and going to conclude that Bearfire Resort is cancelled, probably never had financial backing to get beyond a proposal, as the website is now a search placeholder and updates since the announcment are nonexistant. still a possibility. I found the link.

The Coolzone Winterplex project is still in need of an update, but the site is still up and running. So one of the two is getting built at least.

• 1 month later...
Ours stomps all over DFW's. :)

I agree wih u on this Trae. To me its the same situation with the Galleria.Houston Galleria is better than Galleria Dallas,but on the flipside of the coin....It has to be that way because it is "THE" mall of houston while Dallas has a more watered down version of the Galleria(which is not far behind Houston's)Dallas also have other choices that are also on par with it. To me it makes for alot more variety.Houston Has "2" water prks...Dallas "4"Houston has "0" amusement parks..Dallas has one of the best... Dallas Has two indoor waterpark hotels....Houston has "0".Dallas proposes a neat ski park... Houston Proposes one that HAS to be kick ass to compensate for the amusement park that was lost aaaaaaaaaaand to compete with he new concept for our ski park...So again trae ..I agree wit you totally!!! B)

For those of the usual suspects who will no doubt feel compelled to dive into a Houston v Dallas contest, I would suggest you 1) read the warning at the top of the page, and 2) consider all the posts deleted, and members banned, and topics closed for not following HAIF forum rules.

A word to the wise, as they say.

I agree wih u on this Trae. To me its the same situation with the Galleria.Houston Galleria is better than Galleria Dallas,but on the flipside of the coin....It has to be that way because it is "THE" mall of houston while Dallas has a more watered down version of the Galleria(which is not far behind Houston's)Dallas also have other choices that are also on par with it. To me it makes for alot more variety.Houston Has "2" water prks...Dallas "4"Houston has "0" amusement parks..Dallas has one of the best... Dallas Has two indoor waterpark hotels....Houston has "0".Dallas proposes a neat ski park... Houston Proposes one that HAS to be kick ass to compensate for the amusement park that was lost aaaaaaaaaaand to compete with he new concept for our ski park...So again trae ..I agree wit you totally!!! B)

And you got that Victory Park thing going....which is nice. I hear it's getting a Chili's.

EDIT: Slightly antagonistic remark removed. ;)

Houston has easy access to a cool, historic coastal community. Who needs water parks when you are only 45 minutes from the beach.

Galveston has 22 miles of beach, DFW has 0. Not to mention Moody Gardens and Schitterbahn.

Also, Earth Quest Adventures will make Six Flags look like a small town carnival when done. The whole resort is supposed to cover around 500 acres last I heard and bring the Houston area another water park. Add this with the much more enjoyable sounding INDOOR ski park and the Kemah Boardwalk and we're rocking.

So BAM!

BTW, there is nothing in Dallas that is on par with the Houston Galleria. It is in a class all by itself. The best malls in Dallas are more on par with Memorial mall.

Sorry to violate the rules moderators, but someone needs to set that boi from Dallas straight before this thread gets closed.

^^Actually, Northpark Mall is on par with Houston Galleria. Galleria Dallas is more on par with Memorial City.

um...

hmm.png

...wut?

Except Northpark has no ice skating, food court, video game room or glass elevators that ascend up a 20 story lobby. However it is full of a lot of overpriced useless crap and cheesy 'art'.

Dallas Galleria has ice skating but is kind of lame for a mall of it's size. Houston rocks! Dallas sucks!

Except Northpark has no ice skating, food court, video game room or glass elevators that ascend up a 20 story lobby. However it is full of a lot of overpriced useless crap and cheesy 'art'.

Dallas Galleria has ice skating but is kind of lame for a mall of it's size. Houston rocks! Dallas sucks!

k.

But Northpark has a movie theater and Galleria doesn't. Northpark also has some exclusive high-end stores that the Galleria does not have (obviously vice-versa as well). And Northpark does have a food court. They call it like "CentrePark" or something. They have this outdoor area part too, that's in the middle of this big seating area.

That's about it. The only thing I like about Northpark is that the entire place is cohesive and looks the same. That, and Galleria's bathrooms are very messy. Yuck.

k.

But Northpark has a movie theater and Galleria doesn't. Northpark also has some exclusive high-end stores that the Galleria does not have (obviously vice-versa as well). And Northpark does have a food court. They call it like "CentrePark" or something. They have this outdoor area part too, that's in the middle of this big seating area.

That's about it. The only thing I like about Northpark is that the entire place is cohesive and looks the same. That, and Galleria's bathrooms are very messy. Yuck.

Now take that Coaster!!! :PB)

You guys can say or think whatever you want. But I wouldn't trade Houston's Galleria for Northpark Mall for anything. Screw the stores, there's nothing you can't buy online these days anyway. Northpark is just a nice mall like Memorial City and other malls around town. Houston's Galleria is simply a fun place to go. Even people who are not into shopping like going there. It is a real destination.

And as far as the number of waterparks spread throughout suburbia, I'd rather have quality than quantity anyway. Schlitterbahn and Spashtown are both awesome waterparks. And DFW has nothing to compare to the beach vibe and year round fun atmosphere that Galveston and other coastal communities (like Kemah and others) provides to Houston - and NEVER will!

OUCH!

You guys can say or think whatever you want. But I wouldn't trade Houston's Galleria for Northpark Mall for anything. Screw the stores, there's nothing you can't buy online these days anyway. Northpark is just a nice mall like Memorial City and other malls around town. Houston's Galleria is simply a fun place to go. Even people who are not into shopping like going there. It is a real destination.

And as far as the number of waterparks spread throughout suburbia, I'd rather have quality than quantity anyway. Schlitterbahn and Spashtown are both awesome waterparks. And DFW has nothing to compare to the beach vibe and year round fun atmosphere that Galveston and other coastal communities (like Kemah and others) provides to Houston - and NEVER will!

OUCH!

Just FYI, use a PM if you want to continue this.

Respectful discussions only. My-city-is-better-than-your-city flame wars are not permitted on HAIF. "He started it" is not a valid excuse. Both parties in a flame war may have their accounts suspended or terminated. Just walk away. Flames will be deleted without notice. Please report violations to a member of the moderating team, or to the Editor.

This thread needs to die.

That's o.k. by me. I see no reason to keep a thread going about an outdoor ski thing in DFW that is never going to happen anyway.

It is 105 degrees in DFW in the summers. Can you imagine skiing on scorching white hot plastic snow in July with the blistering, red hot sunshine beating down on you? It sounds insane and not the least bit enjoyable. I'm sure the people behind this project are coming to their senses about the absurdity of the whole idea and are beginning to rethink plopping down millions of dollars in this weird economy for something this risky.

That's o.k. by me. I see no reason to keep a thread going about an outdoor ski thing in DFW that is never going to happen anyway.

It is 105 degrees in DFW in the summers. Can you imagine skiing on scorching white hot plastic snow in July with the blistering, red hot sunshine beating down on you? It sounds insane and not the least bit enjoyable. I'm sure the people behind this project are coming to their senses about the absurdity of the whole idea and are beginning to rethink plopping down millions of dollars in this weird economy for something this risky.

If that is true, I hope the designers got paid for the renderings and plans.

Just think though, a huge metal tower can be contructed, like in the Simpsons "Who shot Mr. Burns" episode can block the sun and keep things cool. :P

simpsons%20sun-jj-001.jpg

Just before you close this thing.......

I just find it funny how when something goes to Dallas, it's a "Dallas project". But when something goes to Fort Worth, it's either a "DFW project", or still a "Dallas project"

........Funny

• The title was changed to Bearfire Resort (Was Ski Dallas! Coolzone Winterplex)

Archived