Opinions on property taxes?

forereal

Well of course you don't show something if it doesn't bolster your case, but if what he's saying is true, that his appraised value is just SOOOOOOOO out of touch with reality, then reality (actual sales data) is the best tool.

Looks to me that you cited a listing, not the data from the actual sale above. Don't know what it is worth until it is actually sold. You can ask for $1 meeelion dollars, but it isn't worth that unless somebody will buy it at that price.

Touche, but if you read my first statement above it was that he should use his own sales price which was $70,000 below the HCAD appraised value:

West20th, is your value set at the price you paid for it, or, if it's your second year, is it 10% higher than that? If your in the first year, you should be able to protest (and win) that the price you paid for it should be the appraised value.

Also, the above example may be extreme, but I'll guarantee that most houses in the Heights area are worth far more than HCAD appraised value.

• 1 month later...
This site has some pretty good information about protesting.

I have protested four times, and each time the assesment was lowered.

I got hammered this year. My house was valued at $175k becuase the previous owner was diligent in keeping HCAD at Bay. We paid nearly $300k for the house and HCAD picked right up on that. They jammed us with a $280k value. I have hired O'Conner and Associates to fight it, but I am not very confident I am going to save much money.

I got hammered this year. My house was valued at $175k becuase the previous owner was diligent in keeping HCAD at Bay. We paid nearly $300k for the house and HCAD picked right up on that. They jammed us with a $280k value. I have hired O'Conner and Associates to fight it, but I am not very confident I am going to save much money.

Yeah good luck on that. Since the paper work is filed with the County, HCAD definitely knows the sale price. If the homes around you are more, they may try to raise it even higher. make sure and have your sale price handy in case that happens. They tried to do that to me as well and all i could do was tell them my sale price since I had that removed from the deed prior to filing.

Yeah good luck on that. Since the paper work is filed with the County, HCAD definitely knows the sale price. If the homes around you are more, they may try to raise it even higher. make sure and have your sale price handy in case that happens. They tried to do that to me as well and all i could do was tell them my sale price since I had that removed from the deed prior to filing.

Actually the houses around me are all owned by older people who have lived forever. Their values are capped and aqre still pretty low. We will see how this all turns out. I am already expecting to an addition $2k or so. LAME.